Nashville the movie

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Daniel Iribarren

Nashville the movie

Post by Daniel Iribarren »

I just saw Nashville, a great film by Robert Altman from the mid seventies. There was a lot of great players and tunes throughout, and most looked like it was shot live. I was just curious if anyone would know who sitting behind the steel, it looked like the same player more or less throughout the film. I think I recognized Lloyd Green in one shot of a recording session.
Cliff Kane

Post by Cliff Kane »

I think that in the same studio scene where Lloyd Green is playing pedal steel, Jeff Newman is playing banjo.
Sonny Priddy

movie nashville

Post by Sonny Priddy »

The Steel Player In The Movie Nashville Most Of The Time was STU BASORE. SONNY.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Yeah, Stu Basore with Ronee Blakey's band. And Lloyd in the studio scene with Jeff on banjo. But also there is a shot of Doug Jernigan in a club scene, and Weldon himself may have been on the Opry scene.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

I first saw that film in Antwerp, Belgium, just after it came out. It had French and Dutch subtitles. The sound was so bad that I couldn't understand the English soundtrack and I was reading the Dutch and French subtitles. Ironically, when I was able to understand the English I noticed that the original soundtrack and the subtitles differed enormously. There was no direct translation. The three different languages had three completely different scripts ! Fortunately the music made the whole thing entertaining, but the script was awful... :eek:
Micky Byrne

Re: Nashville the movie

Post by Micky Byrne »

Great movie, I still have it on video cassette. Yes there were scenes of Lloyd, Doug and Stu Basore on it. Quite a humourous movie in parts and Karen Black doing some great acting as a singer. My band at the time did many numbers from that film....like "It don't worry me" .. "I'm easy" .. "Tapedeck in his tractor"

Micky Byrne United Kingdom
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Great movie, strange and fun, with some great musical moments. I can imagine several Nashville icons being not particularly flattered by somewhat obvious riffs on their personalities! There's a great shot on the riverboat section where Stu is doing flawless backup to a Ronee Blakely tune, ending with a harmonic run at the very end of the tune, and he muffs the very last note. You can clearly see him cussin'. Priceless.
Daniel Iribarren

Thanks to all for the info. There were some great musical moments indeed in the film, and in watching it again I realized that really most of the music footage was indeed shot live, not lip-synced. A very nice touch I think, and something you never see in feature films. Great players. I'm going to try and cop some licks from Stu now.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Daniel: did the version you saw have German subtitles ? If so, did they follow the English script ?
Daniel Iribarren

Alan, I had to buy the DVD through Amazon US and so the version I saw had no subtitles at all. I have wanted to see this film for a long time but it unavailable in Europe and never released here because of problems with music copyrights.
Alan Brookes

Post by Alan Brookes »

Maybe I should buy the DVD. As I said, I watched the movie in a cinema in Antwerp and the soundtrack was really garbled.
Dave Harmonson

Post by Dave Harmonson »

I always enjoyed Nashville the movie, but have you noticed a lot of non musicians just didn't get it. Plus Robert Altman was famous for a lot of subtlety. For those of us who like dry humor it was great. One of my favorite scenes was when that little folk group finally got a gig at the Nashville Speedway and you can't hear a thing they play. I haven't played in conditions quite that bad, but I think I've been close a time or two.
chris ivey

Post by chris ivey »

alan...hope you get to see the normal american version sometime....nice and shallow with a parodoxical slant. great music and view of the modern music vs. personal/artistic point of view.
doug jernigan, vassar clements, pig robbins, lloyd green, stu basore...was pete drake in there?