chord question

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Richard Sinkler

Post by Richard Sinkler »

Calvin, that is a giant step in the right direction. This gives you a chance to play what CALVIN thinks should be played there. Through trial and error, you will figure out what sounds best and be able to build your knowledge base off of that.

I wish you nothing but good luck in your learning process and remember that we are all here for you if you stumble.

Happy New Year
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, NV400, NV112 . Playing for 53 years and still counting.
James Kent

Post by James Kent »

Sorry, a none steel reference, that A minor/C major point got me thinking. I learned to accept "chord choices" reading from Ted Greene. Greene wrote some very usefull books for guitar players. Ted was a wonder.
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

Richard and Don hit the nail square on the head.
Speaking from personal experience..... Started out playing somgs from tab, ended up against a wall....not knowing how to progress beyond that...... attended a week-long seminar at Jeff's place , and came home a changed man. I put aside the tabs and started to learn how the chordal groups fit on the steel neck; different keys etc., etc.
Now I tackle any new song head-on. Occasionally I might consult tab just to see how a certain lick, or phrase, was played.
Good luck, Calvin.
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

i think that i'll just stop asking questions
it just ends up making me sound stupid
proud parent of a sailor

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Jim Robbins

Post by Jim Robbins »

Hey Calvin, I used to teach music theory for a living & if there's one thing I learned -- whatever you do, keep asking questions. You'll never have all the answers, but that's the great thing about music.
Jim Robbins

Post by Jim Robbins »

On second thought, there is one question I never want to hear again: "Is this going to be on the exam?"
Robert Harper

Post by Robert Harper »

Calvin Walley wrote:Don

i have quit using tabs,
what i have been trying to do is use Jeffs books that comes with his honky tonk heros set . they do not have tabs , all he gives is the chord progressions to play against the sound tracks
Calvin that sounds like what I want to do. Could you repeat the title. Sorry Calvin, I reread the post and got the title. Also Guys I have noticed this in music. In fact I have commented to some folk that if you are playing in for example C and there is a quick minor or even a seventh you could basically stay where you are and let the lead or bass cover the change. I know this defeats the purpose of the steel. However it seems to work. This works because the chords are relatives of each other. I don't mean in-laws, close relatives. Okay let me have it
Last edited by Robert Harper on 26 Dec 2007 8:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Oh what a tangled web we weave when we first begin to deceive" Someone Famous
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

Calvin Walley wrote:i think that i'll just stop asking questions
it just ends up making me sound stupid
Calvin, nothing you have said so far makes you sound stupid. It makes you sound like one who is honestly, sincerely searching for answers to some well-thought out questions.
You'll be a great steel player some day
Robert Harper

Desonance

Post by Robert Harper »

In-laws cause Desonance
"Oh what a tangled web we weave when we first begin to deceive" Someone Famous
Nic du Toit

Post by Nic du Toit »

for example C and there is a quick minor or even a seventh you could basically stay where you are and let the lead or bass cover the change. I know this defeats the purpose of the steel. However it seems to work
Robert, the last bit of this sentence 'I know this defeats the purpose of the steel' is the kind of thinking that you should get rid of. The trick here is you stay on the position where you are (say C) BUT, knows that the band will do the relative minor..... why? because the melody line you want to play is right there under your fingers. So, why change to the 'correct' minor position just to have to jump back to where you want to play.... That is why it is so important to know the steel neck, and be aware of a bit of music theory.
Likewise, there are plenty times that the steel plays 'chords' (Three note groupings) where bthe band stays in the root chord. We use it all the time... but, this could be a discussion for another time.
Nic
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

take a look at what happened on ths thread
i saw something that caused me to have a brain bubble ( one of those DUH things )

8 posts down B0b answered what i asked, and that should have been the end of it, but instead of letting it end there, i got many lessons on music theroy along with being told i should go back and start all over.
sometime's a simpe answer is all that is required
proud parent of a sailor

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
b0b

Post by b0b »

Since the question has been asked and answered to Calvin's satisfaction, I've closed this topic.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video