Good grief!

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Curt Langston

Good grief!

Post by Curt Langston »

Why do people believe that just because a "star" played a certain guitar, that it is somehow worth much more money? I love Pink Floyd, but IMHO this rig is not worth nowhere near the starting bid. 1600.00? Jeez..........
Here it is.

Heck, at that price, I should buy a dozen.................NOT!

Oh, and check out the seller: Wisemen_70

ebay member since 12/8/07..................

I do not see it selling anytime soon.........

1600.00 starting bid............What a joke!
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

Never know... Some kid who eats, sleeps, breathes and worships Pink Floyd might come along, and then some friend of his who's a self-proclaimed expert will tell him something like, "Get it - get it - get it! You'll never see something like that again in your life!"

$Ching-ching$

He'll love it until he realizes he was an idiot.
Darryl Hattenhauer

Post by Darryl Hattenhauer »

Curt,

I'm with you on that one. If somebody wants to buy it, that's their business, but I'd never do it. But then I don't even care about autographs, etc.

Another thing I'd never do is buy something that was burned or smashed by some star. Pete Towsend smashed a guitar on tv and then noted that the guitar's market value had just risen.
Steel crazy after all these years.

$100 reward for info leading to the purchase of a fender D8 white, yellow, or butterscotch.
John Rosett

Post by John Rosett »

It' worth exactly as much as someone is willing to pay for it.
T. C. Furlong

Post by T. C. Furlong »

If you read the questions, the seller fesses up that David Gilmour never played this steel, but rather one like it. I have a number of guitars that are like ones played by some pretty famous rock stars. Wait a minute, I might have just struck it rich!
TC
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

Yeah I could tell that from the ad description:
Two of these Jedson guitars - a blond one and a red one - were used by Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd on their 1974/1975 Tour. An essential element in the Pink Floyd Sound, it was on these guitars that Dave produced some of his most memorable solos.
Since the particular guitar in question isn't plural, the implication is that "these Jedson guitars" means Jedson guitars in general. There was no misrepresentation on the part of the seller.
Martin Zak

eBay posting

Post by Martin Zak »

I can only say that 'A Fool and his money are soon parted'. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stephen Gambrell

Post by Stephen Gambrell »

That's his starting bid, Curt. Are you planning on bidding? Are you trying to SELL the guitar? Is the guy selling it a friend of yours, Curt?
What I'm getting at, is why are you posting an eBay item under "For Sale: Instruments" when none of us have any interest in buying the thing?
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

Stephen Gambrell wrote:What I'm getting at, is why are you posting an eBay item under "For Sale: Instruments" when none of us have any interest in buying the thing?
Speak for yourself...
Iain Carmichael

Post by Iain Carmichael »

I suspect Duane nailed it with his first post: "Never know....some kid...." But just in case somebody succumbs to temptation (!) DON'T. I've reason to be suspicious of this listing and have alerted eBay. I'll spare you the long story.
Iain Carmichael

Post by Iain Carmichael »

I should have said: "It may well be that Duane is right...." and not: "I suspect that...." (I use "suspicion" later and appear to contradict myself).
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

I also believe that I nailed it. 8) However, only in a perfect world could Stephen speak for all of us, so let's just hope that he can anyway. Perhaps he can for everyone here on the forum.

Is there enough evidence of possible wrongdoing to alert eBay though? I know it's a bad deal and all, but...
Rocky Hill

Post by Rocky Hill »

Iain Carmichael wrote:I suspect Duane nailed it with his first post: "Never know....some kid...." But just in case somebody succumbs to temptation (!) DON'T. I've reason to be suspicious of this listing and have alerted eBay. I'll spare you the long story.

I don't have any interest in this item myself but I have to ask........Under what grounds do you base the reason for alerting ebay? Other than the fact you don't think it's worth what his starting bid is. Is he committing some kind of fraud? Is he trying to sell something he doesn't own? As I see it he did nothing but embellish the history of that type of guitar and has answered a direct question about the David Gilmore reference. You have me wondering that all.

Rocky
Stephen Gambrell

Duane Reese wrote:
Stephen Gambrell wrote:What I'm getting at, is why are you posting an eBay item under "For Sale: Instruments" when none of us have any interest in buying the thing?
Speak for yourself...
Duane, are YOU willing to bid at least 1600.00 on a lap steel?

And who said anything about alerting eBay? This guy's doing nothing wrong, other that asking WAY too much for an opening bid.
This STILL doesn't belong in the "For Sale" section, though.
Stephen Gambrell

Duane Reese wrote:I also believe that I nailed it. 8)
Speaking for whom, Duane?
Curt Langston

Post by Curt Langston »

That's his starting bid, Curt. Are you planning on bidding? Are you trying to SELL the guitar? Is the guy selling it a friend of yours, Curt?
What I'm getting at, is why are you posting an eBay item under "For Sale: Instruments" when none of us have any interest in buying the thing
(1)No. Not in this life.

(2)No. Not mine to sell.

(3)No. If he was a friend, I would promote the item.

(4)The same reason anybody else would.............. To refresh my original open statement:
Why do people believe that just because a "star" played a certain guitar, that it is somehow worth much more money?

What do you think Stephen?
:wink:
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

Stephen Gambrell wrote:Duane, are YOU willing to bid at least 1600.00 on a lap steel?
No, definitely not... But I had you going there, didn't I? :lol:
Stephen Gambrell wrote:
Duane Reese wrote:I also believe that I nailed it. 8)
Speaking for whom, Duane?
Myself, and apparently Iain as well. :wink:
Stephen Gambrell

Duane Reese wrote:I also believe that I nailed it. 8) However, only in a perfect world could Stephen speak for all of us, so let's just hope that he can anyway.
After re-reading this, Duane it almost sounds like a compliment :D ! I think most of us (and this is PURELY my opinion) have too much sense to even want what looks like a copy of a Fender, regardless of the cost. And again, IMO, not for (at least) 1600 bucks!
Now, Mr. "Langston's" #4 reason for posting this under "For Sale" makes no sense at all, nor does posting it here in the first place. I'll stand by that.

And MERRY CHRISTMAS TO EVERBODY!!!
Duane Reese

Post by Duane Reese »

Almost a compliment??? :eek: After re-reading it myself, I actually have to qualify it by stressing that only in a perfect world could you speak for everyone *concerning this particular sale*.

Don't get me wrong - we're friends and all - but I'm not going to put you on that high of a pedestal... No offense... :P

Oh and Merry Christmas to you too! Hey, I bet that lap steel would make a great stocking-stuffer for the non-pedal person on you list (heh heh).
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Yes Curt it does matter who plays what guitar,when I was a kid and got my first little Stella guitar[could'nt afford one of those Gene Autry models]I was absolutely without a doubt convinced in my mind,If I could ever get me a COUNTRY GENTLEMAN,I could play just like Chet Atkins,Man was I WRONG,don't you know.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I guess I'm the dumbest one here.....I had never heard of that brand :? ( I don't get out much :D )