Earl Erb's New CD

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

John Floyd

Earl Erb's New CD

Post by John Floyd »

Earl Erb has completed his Cd project and sent me an advance copy. This is a gift that I will always treasure. Earl has put his heart and soul into this project and has done it pretty much for his own satisfaction, because the sad part of all of this is that there is no market for great works like this anymore. People Just don't buy instrumentals this day and time to make it worthwhile for an Artist to produce a quality product as Earl has.

The Title of the Cd is "The Best of Earl Erb on a Telecaster". For all of you who think a Telecaster is supposed to twang, you should hear this. This is the sweetest and most mellow tone I have ever heard on any solid body guitar. Earl's Playing Skills are superb, his touch and tone are terrific. If any of you have ever typecast Earl as a Country Guitar Player, you are in for a shock. Earl is a Master Guitarist in every respect and he scares the living hell out of me. Monster Picker in every sense of the word. I find it impossible to pick any favorites on this CD, They are all Outstanding.

Earl has included The following cuts on his CD.
#1 All The Things You Are
#2 Both Sides Now
#3 Fire and Rain
#4 Rainy Day- The Shadow of Your Smile
#5 Going Home
#6 Shennandoah
#7 Steel Guitar Rag
#8 Tell Me Now
#9 Tenderly
#10 The Way We Were
#11 Touching Angels
#12 Way Faring Stranger
#13 You needed Me

Earl
I hope this Post hasn't damaged your career in any way. Image

------------------
JCF (The Picker formerly known as Sleepy John)

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 25 April 2001 at 04:25 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Sounds great! Where can we get one?
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

John,thanks very much for the review...it's more than I deserve...guess I better send you some more money...I didn't pay you enough to get this good a review.LOL Image
Jim,I don't have to tell you how expensive it can get to do a CD with the art work and mass production etc.At this point in time, since I don't have a market to justify the cost,I have just been making copies, without the art work, for my friends and anyone else that might be interested in having a CD.
I did not do this CD for the money but as a personal project to have for posterity.For those of you that may not know this, I quit the music business in 1987 and literally did not pick up a guitar until the fall of 1998 when I found out my guitar teacher from Philly passed away at the age of 88. I last visited with him in 1995 when I made my yearly trip to Philly. After his death I was inspired to start playing again out of respect for his devotion to me while growing up and studying with him for 11 yrs.His name was Howard Herbert and his son still operates the music store in N.E. Philly where I grew up.
If anyone has ever laid off of their instrument for 12 yrs knows how hard it is to come back. After a solid year of wood shedding I felt confident enough to do this project and it was very gratifying, even though it took another year to finish the CD. Thanks for your interest. Image
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Earl Erb on 25 April 2001 at 06:42 PM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Earl Erb on 03 May 2001 at 01:21 PM.]</p></FONT>
frank rogers

Post by frank rogers »

Earl, Great selection of tunes. Do you think you might make it to Michigan next year for our Hall of Fame Show?
Gregg Galbraith

Post by Gregg Galbraith »

I consider it to be a great honor to have been counted among Earl's friends since we first met while serving in the army at Fort Hood, Texas in the mid-late 1960s. I got discharged from the army a few months before Earl did, and I insisted that he move here after he got out of the service. He wound up working the road about as long as I did------around 12 years, and for some of the same artists----Skeeter Davis and Jim Ed Brown. We even shared an apartment for a couple years, until we each got married(for the 1st time).Earl has always been a musical inspiration for me------his knowledge of chord structure, and the useage thereof would inspire anyone!
Although we have not had a really close relationship for the past several years-----this can happen in a town as diverse as Nashville------we have remained in contact. When Earl brought me a copy of his new CD, I was astounded by it---the touch, the tone, the musicianship in general! Add to this the fact that he hadn't touched a guitar in over a decade, and you have a truly amazing musical package!
As most of the Forumites who are familiar with Earl and I know, we are two of the biggest fans of steel guitar and steel players that have ever made a living playing country music.
Earl is now faced with the dilemma of not having an "outlet" for his wonderful project. He doesn't have the luxury of being able to attent steel shows and renting a booth to sell his CD.
I wish b0b would at least give a listen to this wonderful collection of tunes and consider relaxing his "steel-only" rule when it comes to marketing CDs. I thing Earl's CD could be very motivational to players of any instrument. And isn't the MUSIC what it's all about anyway?
Just the humble opinion of a guitar player who is very "discriminating" when it comes to giving praise.
Thanks for "listening",
Gregg

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gregg Galbraith on 27 April 2001 at 07:08 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

Gregg
Thanks for saying what I couldn't find adequate words to say. You are absolutely right about the motivation, Even tho Earl Scares me as a Guitar player, Earl's comeback has motivated to pick up Guitar after laying it down in Dec. 1972 when I ran into a Guitar player named Al Bruneau in a Jam Session at Sammi Smith's house, my second night in Nashville. AL Scared the living hell out of me too and I had to make a decision and that was to do something I could do, Play Bass.

Listening to Earl's CD (I have received 3 cuts by email previously) has motivated me to drop my Bass for the time being and get back in the saddle so to speak after 29 years laying off guitar, I'm serious about it this time and being 60 years old, want to whip this thing before its too late. I'm coming along much faster than I ever expected, most of it due to Earls inspiration and friendship. I know that Earl has been inspired by your musicianship and talent and so am I. I just finished my third gig as a guitar player last Saturday night after 3 months of woodshedding for 3 - 4 hours a day, I made the decision to start about the time I received the first cut from Earls CD by email, Coincidence, Not really. Image

BTW
Folks, Curly Chalker was so impressed by Earl that he reccommended him for a job with Roger Miller back in the 70's to replace Thumbs. That is saying a lot to impress Ol Curls, He like, Gregg was very discriminating. Problem was Roger didn't listen very well back then Image.

------------------

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 26 April 2001 at 02:47 AM.]</p></FONT>
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

What more can I say,except,"DITTO!!"

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-</pre></font>

Al Johnson

Post by Al Johnson »

I haven't played much in the last number of
years, I play guitar, but always loved and
enjoyed steel guitar. But the song selection
is just great, really impressed by the tunes.
Now I want to hear them. I would like a CD of
your playing, sounds great. I don't know how
to do this except my email is Alanjo@itol.com. I am ready to hear Earl Erb.
Boomer

Post by Boomer »

I couldn't agree more, Gregg. Greaat mastery of chord implmentation on Earl's part. My humble suggestion to Earl is to get this CD in the hands of the Fender people for them to use (and incidentally to pay Earl for it) to show "the other side of the Fender Telecaster" story. I'm sure they will be just as amazed as I am. Best, Boomer
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

Great Idea Boomer!!!

Nobody would believe this is a Telecaster by listening, just goes to prove that the "Tele" is Americas Guitar.

------------------

Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

I heard what a monster player Earl is from Jerry Braswell whom I work with from time to time.

I'm surprised no one else has asked, given the constant talk around here about pickers not getting recognition, SO, who is on the CD with you, Earl?

Regards,
Bill Cunningham

------------------
Carter D-10 8+9, BCT, TPPP
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Hello Bill,Jerry is a great guy and he is very kind to say the nice things he said about me.I remember just before I quit Jim Ed Brown in 1976 Jerry came to work with us.What a fine musician and singer.Unfortunatly,I was ready to get off the road and Jerry and I only played together for a few months but we were friends long before then and well aware of his talent.
About the players on the CD..it is mostly a solo album.Four of the tunes do have additional players.My brother in law,John Stacey,plays drums and the bass tracks were done by my good friend Larry Crew.I did do some over dubbing on a few tunes with harmony. Image
Bill Sharpe

Post by Bill Sharpe »

Earl:

I suggest that you bring several copies to the NTSGA meeting in May because I'm sure other members besides myself are anxious to have a copy of the new CD.

Regards

------------------
B#

Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Thanks Bill,I can do that.Jan is going to make me some more copies this week so I'm sure I'll have some ready. Image
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

To all of the fine folks who have requested a copy of my CD,I just want you to know that I just had a bunch of copies made and hopefully will be in the mail to all of you by the first of the week.I appreciate your patients and your interest. Image
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

I was gonna be a doctor once,but I didn't have the "patience". Image

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© ars longa,
mm vita brevis
-=sr€=-</pre></font>

Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Woops! I thought that's how it was supposed to be spelled. Thanks Smiley. Image <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Earl Erb on 02 May 2001 at 06:40 PM.]</p></FONT>
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

In Eastern NC its "Payshunts" Image

------------------

Jason Odd

Post by Jason Odd »

Earl, it sounds great and I really like the title. I wonder what an indie label like Hightone, Dead Reckoning or Bloodshot would think of the project?
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Jason,thanks for the comp. I don't know what direction to take.I don't have those kind of contacts.I'm still thinkin' Image
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

I still like Boomers Idea about getting Fender Behind this one. This is the single best example of the Great tone a Telecaster can Produce when in the Hands of someone Great like Earl.

John<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 04 May 2001 at 06:52 AM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Kelly

Post by Roger Kelly »

Earl...thank you so much for the copy of your CD. Your Touch and Tone is Masterful. I'd like to Ditto what everyone else said about your CD and add a great big.... WOW!!
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

Thanks very much Roger.I hope the CD brings you many hours of pleasure. Image
Bob Hempker

Post by Bob Hempker »

Earl,

Thanks so much for the copy of this wonderful CD. That is the way guitar was meant to be played. I will treasure this masterpiece from now on. WOW!!!!!!

------------------
Mark Frederick

Post by Mark Frederick »

I got Earl's new CD today. I'm listening to it now. To those who already know of Earl's virtousity, there's nothing I can say. But, to those of you who've never heard the man play, do yourself a big favor and get a copy of his CD. If you've never met Earl, and you're wondering what he looks like, I have a suggestion. Grab your dictionary. Look up the words "touch", "tone", "taste"
and "speed". His picture is right there with all four words.

Outstanding job, Earl. I'm proud to know ya.

Mark