Looking for advice on 2x12 Cabinet

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Michael Pierce

Looking for advice on 2x12 Cabinet

Post by Michael Pierce »

I would appreciate any advice on the topic of 2x12 cabinets. I just purchased a Gallien-Krueger stereo amp* that's supposed to sound great for steel through a 2x12. Never having owned anything but a combo amp before, what should I be looking for in a cabinet? Closed or open back? Certain speakers (Eminence? BW? Celestion?). Any brands to recommend without breaking the bank -- I see one called "Avatar" on e-bay? Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks, mp

*Gallien-Krueger 250 ML Mark II, 2 4-1/2" speakers (can be bypassed when switched for external speaker connection), 100 watts when stereo outs connected to either 8 or 16 ohm (switchable) settings.
Michael Pierce

2x12 cabinets

Post by Michael Pierce »

Bump up.

Any cabinet guys? Advice on cabernets? :)
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

Michael, I'm looking into the same question myself. Do you want it for lap steel, pedal steel, or guitar? What kind of music?
Dave Stagner

Post by Dave Stagner »

Some companies make cabinets with removable backs so you can do open, closed, and semi-open configurations. Avatar cabs have a good reputation in the places I've read about them.
I don’t believe in pixie dust, but I believe in magic.

1967 ZB D-10
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders
Michael Pierce

2x12

Post by Michael Pierce »

Dave, this is for pedal steel ('78 Emmons push-pull), mostly classic country. I've read that an open backed cabinet is better for pedal steel, the closed back possibly overemphasizing the bass (good for metal, not so good for Ray Price). The Avatar cabinets seem decent for the price and they're available with Celestion -- as well as other -- speakers. I'd be interested in any recommendations from pedal steel players who have gone this route, either as to cabinets or speakers. I've also heard great things about the Rick Johnson cabinets. I currently have a Peavey Nashville 112, which is a great amp, this is sort of a side project to see if a 2x12 cabinet with a stereo head would provide a larger, more room filling sound.
Brinton Payne

Post by Brinton Payne »

I have a Marshall Solid State amp with 2x12 speakers that you could easily use as a cabinet (since the power is crapped out). I thought about doing this but bought a nv400. I would be happy to talk about a trade/cheap sell.
BP
Michael Pierce

2x12

Post by Michael Pierce »

Thanks, Brinton. Sounds interesting. Just sent you an email with a couple of questions. mp
Dave Stagner

Post by Dave Stagner »

If you're looking for a stereo spread, you probably want a pair of 1-12" cabs rather than a 2x12. That way, you can space them out for the spread. If you want it to sound "big" without being any louder, though, you might want to consider a compressor. A LITTLE (not a LOT!) of compression can really fill out your sound. Well, with six-string anyway... steel is a different beast, especially considering the use of the volume pedal.

Personally, I tried messing with stereo amps for years, and went through a half-dozen different compressors (on six-string). I found my answer with a great small tube amp and a good clean buffer pedal - that was MY answer to a "big" sound. You'll just have to fool around and see what works for you!

At any rate, if you're serious about playing stereo, use two cabinets, one one either side of you, not too close together or too far apart. You have to LISTEN for this. But put the two right next to each other, and the stereo image will collapse, AND phase problems will creep in.

If you have a boom box with detachable speakers, try this... put the speakers on a table, right next to each other, and listen to some music. There'll be little stereo effect and the sound will be weak. Now take those speakers and spread them out in an equilateral triangle with you at one corner. THERE'S the stereo image! Even a cheap boom box can produce terrific stereo, IF you place the speakers right!
I don’t believe in pixie dust, but I believe in magic.

1967 ZB D-10
Recording King lap steel with Certano benders
Michael Pierce

2x12 cabinets

Post by Michael Pierce »

Thank you for all the advice, gentlemen. One more question.... if a cabinet has dual "mono" inputs (1/4" jacks), is it a big deal to re-wire it so that it is a stereo cabinet (the amp head I bought has dual outputs, one each for left and right speaker). I see lots of cabinets that have two inputs, I assume either for two mono inputs or daisy-chaining the cab with another cabinet. I am completely unfamiliar with wiring/electronics principles, so any and all advice is welcome. thanks, mp
Mike Brown

Peavey Classic 212 Cab

Post by Mike Brown »

Peavey offers the Classic 212 cabinet which is voiced for electric guitar. It is a 16 ohm cab as well. Here's the link from our website;
http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.c ... -Tweed.cfm

Mike Brown
Peavey USA
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

I agree stereo requires separate cabs for the two speakers. And most steelers prefer 15" speakers. But if you are still interested in a single 2x12 cab, THD makes a great one, and the new Fender Supersonic line has a separate 2x12 cab.
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

Forumite Rick Johnson can also build you a mighty fine cabinet or two.
Dan Tyack

Post by Dan Tyack »

The THD 2X12"is hands down the best 2X12" cab ever made, for any amount of money. For clean pedal steel I'd put in a JBL or Peavey BW 12 and one of the THD 12" speakers.

Here's a link: THD Cab