John Hughey

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

robert kramer

Post by robert kramer »

John Hughey's obituary from the Nashville Tennessean:

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll ... ERTAINMENT
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

:cry: I first met John and Jean at Rick Troyers Show in New Philly . My first thoughts were these folks are down to earth and so loving and happy that everyone stopped by their booth even if they didn't buy anything which everyone did . This man did so much for the pedal steel in every way and still loved to talk with everyone . He was an inspiration to just about every steel player i know he was mine . John you will truley be missed . Jean may God be real close to you and your family in this trying time . To be absent in this body is to be present with the Lord . This is our hope in the Lord . God bless and keep you .
Don Walters

Post by Don Walters »

I never argue about who is best, but John was my favourite! Rest in Peace Papa John.
Hal Higgins

Post by Hal Higgins »

The Steel Guitar Community has lost a very special friend.......but, I'm sure, the loss can be no greater than for the beloved Jean Hughey.......The Higgins' family in Denham Springs, LA will mourn this loss with you Jean.....know that our thoughts and prayers are with you now and for the months to come. I considered John one of my heroes and a good friend....Hal & Debe.
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Larry Jamieson

Post by Larry Jamieson »

I cannot add anything that has not already been said. John was my favorite player. I was fortunate enough to see him play live on three occasions during my life; once with Vince Gill in Binghamton, NY, at the Norwalk Steel Show, and during the summer of 2006 in Nashville with the Time Jumpers.
John was a true master of the instument. He loved it and put his heart and soul into his music.
My thoughts and prayers are with Jean and his family. I know John is with the Lord.
Larry J.
Al Brisco

John Hughey

Post by Al Brisco »

I first met John when we were both playing the same club at Klondike Days in Edmonton back in the '70's...of course he was with Conway, & I was with Johnny Burke & Eastwind.
John made an indelible mark on me from that day forward, as he had time to talk & visit with a young steel player from Canada.
His name should be included in the Dictionary heading under 'Gentleman'!
Betty & I send our condolences to Jean & the family.
Al Brisco
Geoff Cole

Post by Geoff Cole »

John Hughey will never die.... Not in my world he won't.
Sincere condolences to John's Family,friends and millions of fans around the world.
Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

This is shocking, what a sad day.
My condolances to his family and friends.
Another hero gone.
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

I thought how fitting, that every steel guitar ever manufactured has one thing common to all...... a section on it that many have referred to as "Hugheyland".

I've only met John a couple of times to say hi, but I echo everything that everyone has said. What a guy, and what a player. John Hughey will be sorely missed......

Danny
Mike Headrick

Post by Mike Headrick »

I have waited to post my thoughts and feelings, and I'll be brief. There's no way I can say enough to express my feeling of loss. John was a mentor long before he became a friend. I had a wonderful visit with him just about a week before his death, and I'm thankful for that. One of the last things he told me was that his doctor told him his arteries were clear enough, and he should be good for another forty years. John told him "I'm going to hold you to that".

Later, John. You're much loved and you'll be missed for a long, long time to come.
John De Maille

Post by John De Maille »

I'm finally composed enough to write something, after hearing of this terrible loss. I didn't know John as well as some of you others, but, he was a true beloved legend to me. We had him play for our PSGA show a number of times and I never met a more friendly and giving person. He actually knew my name, even though I am small potatoes compared to him. I will miss him immensely. My thoughts and prayers, as well as, the thoughts and prayers of the PSGA officers go out to his family. May our friend John, rest in peace. May his music go on forever. We will never forget him.
Don Brown, Sr.

Post by Don Brown, Sr. »

Our Sincere Condolences, as we stand in silence beside you.

R.I.P. John

Don, Helen & Family
Marcia Rodrigues

Post by Marcia Rodrigues »

Sincere condolences from RISGA.
John Norris

Post by John Norris »

I would also like to express our sincere condolences to John's family and friends. He was a gentleman and a great musician.
I am glad to have had the chance to hear him play.

John Norris
Rick Anderson

Post by Rick Anderson »

Good bye John, for now.
With loving memories, that sound in our hearts.
ray qualls

Post by ray qualls »

Hard to write down the feelings that I had for John! All I can say is there is a new STAR shining in Heaven tonight! We're going to miss you. Condolences to Jean and family. Ray Qualls
Ray Qualls
Member(KSGA)
Inducted into KSGA
Steel Guitar Hall of Fame 2008
Terry Sneed

Mr John

Post by Terry Sneed »

I only met MR John once, at Ronni'es Guitar in Hot Springs AR. I'll never forget how friendly and down to earth he was, but a ledgend in every steel player's mind. He'll be dearly missed. May God give strength to his wife and familly.

Terry
Jim Marconi

Post by Jim Marconi »

Dear Jean and family I am so sorry..John was always so kind and he will always be in my prayers...He was a great friend..
God Bless
Jim Marconi
Mike Richardson

What A Friend

Post by Mike Richardson »

The world has lost one of the finest men I have ever known.He was never too busy to speak and to help his fellow man and was a inspiration to me.RIP John.

Mike and Sandra Richardson
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

John's fame never went to his head. He would take the time to help a fledgling young musician without hesitation. I once saw him get down on the floor on hands and knees at one to the steel shows to get a model number off of his four-wheeled dolly for a fan. To me, that is the mark of a great man: one who will stoop to help someone less accomplished than himself.

The greatist compliment I have ever received in my music career of almost 70 years was a remark I overheard John make to someone else. At the Benton, IL show a few years ago, John came in about noon to do his afternoon set. He saw me as he came through the lobby and said, "Hi Roy, have you done your set yet?" I told him I had played an hour os so earlier. One of the guys standing nearby said, "Yeah, and he played good, too." as John walked away, he said quietly to the fellow, "I know. I've been listening to the man for fifty years." I don't ever again expect to receive such a tremendous compliment from such a giant of our beloved instrument.

John is gone now, but his memory will live on through his recorded music. I, for one, will never forget the man I admired so greatly for his warm and friendly personality and his inimitable music.
Pioneers of Western Swing HOF, Seattle 2005
Western Swing Music HOF, Sacramento 2006
International Steel Guitar HOF, St.Louis 2007
Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.
Larry Self

Post by Larry Self »

I never knew I was so rich until I counted my friends.Thank God I had the privlidge to know John as a friend. My cup runeth over. our thoughts and prayers are with Jean and family, and everyone who loved John. Larry & Angie Self
Paul King

John

Post by Paul King »

This is the most gut wrenching news I have in some time. John Hughey was a tremendous talent and definitely a first class gentleman. The steel guitar world has suffered a major loss that will never be forgotten. My prayers and thoughts go out to Jean and the rest of the family.
Jim Meiring

Post by Jim Meiring »

John's smile, his super talent, and generous spirit I will always remember. Thanks John.
Roger Francis

Post by Roger Francis »

I only met John a few times but he sure left a lasting impression on me as a GREAT person. Unselfish and kind by nature and one of my heros as a true musician. I will miss him.
My heart goes out to his family.
We love you John.
Jeremy Drawbaugh

Post by Jeremy Drawbaugh »

I NEVER GOT TO KNOW JOHN PERSONALLY, BUT HE WAS IN THE ROOM AT THE GEORGIA PEACH JAM BACK IN JUNE AND HE HEARD ME PLAY. I WALKED BY HIS TABLE AT HE MADE A POINT TO SHAKE MY HAND AND TELL ME THAT I DID A GOOD JOB. AND BACK AT THE NASHVILLE SHOW WHEN JOHN HAD HIS BYPASS I PLAYED LOOK AT US FOR MY WIFE AND ALSO DEDICATED IT TO JOHN,SEVERAL PEOPLE COMPLIMENTED ME ON WHAT A NICE JOB I DID WITH IT AND THAT JOHN WOULD BE PROUD. IT ALMOST BRINGS ME TO TEARS TO THINK OF HIM NOT BEING AT THE STEEL SHOWS ANYMORE, ALTHOUGH HE WILL BE WITH US IN SPIRIT. SO ANY TIME I PLAY LOOK AT US OR PLAY A LICK UP IN WHAT WE CALL HUGHEY LAND ON THE STEEL, I WILL THINK OF JOHN AND THE AWESOME PLAYER AND PERSON THAT HE WAS. ANOTHER LEGEND GONE. MY PRAYERS AND THOUGHTS ARE WITH MRS. JEAN AND FAMILY. OUR LOSS IS HEAVENS GAIN. REST IN PEACE PAPA JOHN.