4th string ringing at fret 8, Carter SD-10

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dick Rivera

4th string ringing at fret 8, Carter SD-10

Post by Dick Rivera »

I use Jagwire strings, the 4th string is 14 guage. I turned off the amp (Nash 112) to rule out the amplifier. The 4th string still rings, mostly at the 8th & 13 fret with or without the amp. I've tried different pressure on the bar and muting behind the strings. Any suggestions or known causes. Thanks Dick
Lee Baucum

Post by Lee Baucum »

I know just what you're talking about:

CLICK HERE
john widgren

Post by john widgren »

My carter does it on string 6. I've tried both 020 and 022.(minimal improvement) Roller nut and finger are both fine. I'm reluctant to go to a wound 6th, which would surely fix it. Anyway I do have to use a little more left hand pressure and it seems to help. I don't think that the funky overtone gets out through the amp, so I just play and consider it inherent, and don't worry about it.
Billy Carr
Restricted

ring

Post by Billy Carr »

I've ran into this with several guitars. Mostly S-10D's for some reason. I won't mention brands but it's not Fessy's, Magnums, Carters or the new MSA's. Switching to a .015P string on #4 worked in every case except one.
Tony Prior

Post by Tony Prior »

experienced some 4th string ringing this morning while practicing, replaced the string and it's gone.

I think many times we are expecting way to much from a 50 cent piece of wire. The physics of it all says we are lucky to get any life out of some of these strings in the positions they are in and what we are asking them to do for us.

heres a question..

How long should a string provide 100% performance if we are stretching the tension and reducing the tension a few hundred times a day or week ? aka; E raise and E Lower

I'm certain that I don't know the answer.