Interest in 40's/50's style country jams in Chicago area?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Mark Lynott

Interest in 40's/50's style country jams in Chicago area?

Post by Mark Lynott »

Would there be any interest in a bi-monthly (?) session doing the honky-tonk sounds of the late 40's and early 50's in the Chicago area?
Bill Bodle

Post by Bill Bodle »

I'd be there
Eddie Cunningham

Great Idea !!

Post by Eddie Cunningham »

Good luck !! Wish I lived closer !! Love the old sounds of the 40s & 50s country music!!! Eddie "C" ( the old geezer )
Mark Durante

Post by Mark Durante »

Sure, just how many people would actually show up would depend on where, when, everyone's schedule etc etc etc......
Bill Bodle

Post by Bill Bodle »

Keith Baumann runs a honky tonk ensemble tuesday evenings at the old town school of folk music on Lincoln Av. It seems there might be several from there that might be interested in this.
Mark Lynott

Post by Mark Lynott »

Good to hear from you all! As far as when, does an "off" time like a Monday evening or Sunday afternoon/early evening sound best for most players? Obviously Thursday thru Saturday nights are gig nights or otherwise busy for many.

I attended Keith Baumann's HT ensemble a few years back, that and the OTS scene in general may indeed provide some interested players, esp. fiddle players.

(hey, at least we don't need a drummer :D

I have access to a nice detached cottage room of an Irish pub in the near SW burbs, would a 30-40 min. (non-rush) drive from most north side city areas be too far? -just a suggestion
Bill Creller

Post by Bill Creller »

I always liked the old country stuff from those days, and played a lot of it in the 40s and early 50s. I'm not into modern stuff. I still play a few that make nice instrumentals.
Craig Stenseth

Post by Craig Stenseth »

Hey Mark,
Were you the other Magnatone owner at HSGA/Joliet (in the jam room, I can't remember which night).
Mark Lynott

Post by Mark Lynott »

Hey Craig, yes that was me, Friday evening's jam.
Larry W. Jones

Post by Larry W. Jones »

Howdy guys. Sorry I can't attend, but I've got a corral full of classic Country/Cowboy/Western song lyrics begging for some good steelin'.

http://www.pic-a-pagediscounts.com/Real ... ics12.html
Pat Keiner

Post by Pat Keiner »

Mark, I would be up for the jam. Unfortunately, I am having shoulder surgery in a few weeks so I won't be available 'til after '08. Hopefully, we can talk in the meantime.
Paul Warnik

Post by Paul Warnik »

Mark Lynott wrote:(I have access to a nice detached cottage room of an Irish pub in the near SW burbs, would a 30-40 min. (non-rush) drive from most north side city areas be too far? -just a suggestion

Mark whereabouts?
sounds close to me-thats good-I dont wanna go downtown
I would check it out if my work schedule will allow- maybe Pat K will bring that quad Stringmaster he was telling me that he just got
Mark Lynott

Post by Mark Lynott »

Paul Warnik wrote:
Mark Lynott wrote:(I have access to a nice detached cottage room of an Irish pub in the near SW burbs, would a 30-40 min. (non-rush) drive from most north side city areas be too far? -just a suggestion

Mark whereabouts?
sounds close to me-thats good-I dont wanna go downtown
I would check it out if my work schedule will allow- maybe Pat K will bring that quad Stringmaster he was telling me that he just got
The pub is in Brookfield so likely no more than a 20-30 min drive.
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

That sounds really cool, and not too far away from me. I might be able to join once in awhile, but probably not regularly. Please keep us informed if you start it up.
William Clark

Post by William Clark »

A 40's/50's jam that would be a half an hour from my house? That would be sweet! Keep us posted!!
Mark Lynott

Post by Mark Lynott »

Thanks to everyone for chiming in on this. With people's schedules pretty tight and the venue being booked more for holiday parties I'll look to starting up the jam shortly after the first of the year.

If anybody has a different idea for a place to jam I'm very much open to it, but for now it looks like Brookfield.
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

Hey - thought I'd resurrect this topic and see if you're still thinking about pursuing this idea.
Mark Lynott

Post by Mark Lynott »

Yes, still interested and will BUMP this one up, how about the rest of you folks?. I'm looking to get a couple bass players I know from local Bluegrass/Old Time jams to "buy in" on this. A fiddler or two would be nice as well. The singers and (standard)guitarists should be in decent supply ;-)

The cottage room of the bar is (still) available when otherwise not in use for private parties, which run hot and cold, but often the space is free on "off" nights and some Sundays, and it is a nice place.
Craig Stenseth

Post by Craig Stenseth »

I don't claim any knowledge of that type of music, but willing to give it a shot. (making a big change from my usual routine I know - going to a bar...) What would be a 'top 10' or 'must know' list of songs?
Mark Lynott

Post by Mark Lynott »

Craig,
The most important thing is to have the I IV V chords in the most common keys, that would be G, A, C, D and E down solid. II major and bVII chords as well as minor chords come into play as well, but not that much of the time in late 40's/early 50's. For one source of great intros, backing, licks and endings check out Jerry Byrd's, Don Helms'and other players' steel work with Hank Williams Sr. Just a few other great tunes are Hank Thompson's "Wild Side of Life", Ernest Tubb's "Walking the floor over you" and Red Foley's "Tennessee Saturday Night".