Copedents, Carter S10 G&E lever

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dick Rivera

Copedents, Carter S10 G&E lever

Post by Dick Rivera »

What is the cents setting for tuning lever "G' and lever 'E' on a Carter S10. The 'G' lever raises string 1 +1 and lowers string 6 -1. The 'E' lever lowers string 2 -1/2 and lowers string 9 -1/2). Thanks, Dick
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Maybe someone out there does it differently but I simply tune the unisons. I tune the string 1 raise, F#>G# to match string 3 G#, string 6 lower G#>F# to match string 7 F# and string 9 D>C#---well I don't have that one but I'd tune it to match string 10's raised C#. The string 2 D#>D----someone else will have to give you the tuning numbers---I go by ear and I know that I tune it sharp of an ET D.
Hope this helps. If not, hopefully someone will come along with the numbers you want.
b0b

Post by b0b »

It really depends on how your other strings are tuned. Here's how it generally works:

Carter 'G' lever:
  • The 1st string raise to G# offset should be 14 cents less than the 4th string E offset.
  • The 6th string lower to F# offset should match the 5th string B offset, with the E strings lowered (via the Carter's 'D' lever).
Carter 'E' lever:
  • The 2nd string lower to D offset should match the offset of the A note on string 3, when pedals 'A' and 'B' are both down.
  • The 9th string lower to C# offset should match the the 6th string G# offset.
If your 'E' lever has a half stop on the 2nd string, tune the stop to the D note as described above, and tune the full step lower C# to match the offset of the 3rd string G#.
-𝕓𝕆𝕓- (admin) - Robert P. Lee - Recordings - Breathe - D6th - Video
Dick Rivera

Post by Dick Rivera »

Bob,

I use the Jeff Newman E9th chart settings & cents. Problem is Jeff's settings for the E & G lever do not match the Carter setup. I talked to Bud, but he has not replied to date. Dick
John Fabian

Post by John Fabian »

I talked to Bud, but he has not replied to date.
??? I think you mean you emailed Bud and have not received a reply yet.

Anyway, Jeff's chart has all the information. You just need to find an identical note. In other words, all G#'s are tuned the same on his chart no matter where they occur. The same for F#'s an G's (the split on string 6). Jeff's chart does show the E lever settup we use (D/C# on 2 and C# on 9). The G lever setup on Jeff's chart is no longer WIDELY used and the chart content is at least 15-20 years old. Jeff never used a G lever on his guitars and probably didn't really think about changing this aspect of his tuning chart.
richard burton

Post by richard burton »

Just to add to the confusion, I've always called the knee lever that lowers the 2nd and 9th strings (Eb-D-C# and D-C# respectively) the D lever