''Steel Guitar and Martial Arts ''

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Marco Schouten

Post by Marco Schouten »

I practised Pak Mei for several years, and judo when I was a kid.
----------------------------------
JCH SD-10 with BL XR-16 pickup, Sho-Bud Volume Pedal, Evidence Audio Lyric HG cables, Quilter Steelaire combo
Dan Burnham

Shotokan, Wing Chun, Gracy

Post by Dan Burnham »

Started out in Shotokan in college. After college, some years afterward started working for Grandmaster William Cheung, www.cheungswingchun.com who was Bruce Lee's best friend. William was the one that worked with Bruce Lee when in Hong Kong. I tested my first 2 levels in "Traditional Wing Chun" under Grandmaster. My Sifu is Bruce Hill in AR. After moving to Martin, I studied under Joy Roberts, Brown Belt in Gracy Ju-Jitsu for two years. Joy fought in the UFC, we traded Ju-Jitsu for Wing Chun. Because of my Multiple Sclerosis and the fact I don't have a training partner, I've stopped practicing. I must admit I loved mixing it up, stand up and ground fighting.

Dan
BMI S12 Zane Beck's Tuning
www.danburnham.com
A. J. Schobert

Post by A. J. Schobert »

Gary my wife went to high school with Rich Franklin, if I am not mistaken he married his high school sweet heart, really a good guy.

Must be something with the "Franklin" name you think?
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

:o Yes Rich is a great martial artist . At one time he was the champ of the fight league he is in . The best of luck to Rich in his upcoming events . G.P.
Corky Anderson

Post by Corky Anderson »

I did a lot of boxing when I was a kid and studied Hungar (horse system) for about a year. I have been working out at the gym for around four years, and I study at a club here in town where they teach street fighting technics. Thankfuly, the last time I had to actually use force to defend myself was almost 20 yrs ago. My Wife has a black belt in shopping....and mind manipulation with her blue eyes!!!

Carter D-10 NV 1000/400 Lexicon Mx 200

Tele......twin...........boss pedals
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

8) Robert there are many styles of martial arts when you are around for a while you will see . I have found out that in many ways it's not the style that makes the player but the player that makes the style ! In Burmese Bando there are many styles . All the animal styles are there in that system . Bando is a great system in my opinion and has some great people in it . Most of the leading teachers are business men of all kinds ! A great family of martial artist . ''Doc'' Ghee is a great human being ! He is the one that brought Bando to the U.S.A. I got to train short Sword (Kukri) with him and he is good . G.P.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Third degree brown belt in Tang-Soo-Do. I didn't "go for the black" because the test was two days long. I was still playing music regularly at that time, and I was warned by my sensei that there was a good chance of serious physical injury in the final exam.

Cluck cluck. :lol:

I now consider Aikido the "ultimate" in martial arts. As another student told me..."Dem guys wit the black skirts are baaaaaad dudes!" :wink:
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

:) Hey Donnie . I worked with a fellow that was a black belt in Tang Soo Do . He knew Chuck Norris very well . In my opinion the Korean arts need to work more with their hands and add that to their legs ! Then it would be more of a combat art ! As i said before i saw many styles as a referee and have been at several dojos . I was a referee for the ''Battle Of Columbus '' which is promoted by a Korean Ta-Kwan-Do instructor here . They have this every year . The fellow that i worked with told me that he didn't want to get close to my hands ! He was a tournament fighter in Tang Soo Do . This guys brother has a dojo in Huntington W.V.A. Thanks for your input . Best regards , G.P.
Last edited by Gary Preston on 2 Oct 2007 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

San Dan in Judo and Ni Dan in Shotokan Karate.

For those who know judo, my most used technique was Sude Tsuri Komi Goshi.

Judo, is a body wrecker.
Harry Johansen

Post by Harry Johansen »

I got black belt in kara-oke. :eek:
Edward Meisse

Post by Edward Meisse »

Yeah, Judo was ok when I was younger. But.......and it translates into english as, "The gentle way," I'm told.
Amor vincit omnia
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

8) Thanks Guys for the input . G.P.
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

The only martial arts I know of,is going to a nice chinese restaurant,and ordering a big bowl of either won ton,or hot,and sour soup. :D :D :D :D :D
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

:lol: :roll: Kenny don't get me started about how much you can eat . Just let me say this folks if you take Kenny out to eat make sure it's an ''all you can eat '' place !!! I'm not going to talk about Larry Cole ! Let me say this if you take these to guys out to eat you will have to pawn your car ! G.P.

Broke on the South Side !
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

:D :D :D Love at chinese food!
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

Marvin, check your e-mail. :D
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

:roll: Hey Kenny .
KENNY KRUPNICK

Post by KENNY KRUPNICK »

:D
Chris L. Christensen

Post by Chris L. Christensen »

I study Kendo, Iaido, Aikido and used to study Kyudo but only have time for the aforementioned three. I'd like to hear from other steel guitarists that study the same or other traditional Japanese martial arts.
Gary Preston

Post by Gary Preston »

Chris i have seen Aikido but never played . It looks interesting to me though . The art of not being there huh ?
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

I pratice self defence with a freind , he is 38 and his name is Colt....when he speaks, everyone listens
proud parent of a sailor

Mullen SD-10 /nashville 400
gotta love a Mullen!!!

Guitars that i have owned in order are :
Mullen SD-10,Simmons SD-10,Mullen SD-10,Zum stage one,Carter starter,
Sho-Bud Mavrick
Chris L. Christensen

Post by Chris L. Christensen »

Gary,

Aikido is a little bit more complex than that. Aikido is known as the "gentleman's" martial art in that it is a mostly defensive art that uses the force of an agressor against himself (or herself). Although there are certainly exceptions most who practice Aikido are not interested in showing off or "kick ass" techniques.
Phil Halton

Re: MA

Post by Phil Halton »

I like that attitude Billy. Sounds exactly like what I was taught in Kenpo back in the 70's. I only studied for a year or so, but it saved my drunken arss one night. Got jumped coming home late from a bar and suddenly one of them was on the ground and the other was running away. I have no idea what happened inbetween. I sobered up quick and got home no worse for the wear. Its good stuff and I respect anyone who's gone through that intensive mental and physical training.

[quote="Billy Carr"]Started early with the boxing thing then moved into kenpo later on. After that I studied several different styles due to the fact I handled violent folks on a daily basis for over 20 years. One good point about martial arts, any form teaches people to think on there feet. Being able to think ahead of many of the folks I had to takedown over the years really saved my rearend on many situations. It also usually prevented serious injury to anyone. I highly recommend martial arts for anyone, provided they do it for self defense and exercise. Those who try to learn it to hurt others usually find themselves staring down the barrell of a weapon or in jail or sometimes worse. I don't like violence but I do support the martial arts that involve the right kind of people.[/quote]
Disclaimer! I make no warranty on the manure I've been spreadin' around here.
Dustin Rigsby

my martial art

Post by Dustin Rigsby »

Gary,
You and I have talked about the arts ever since I have known you. I am a street fighter at best. I do have a black belt in .44 magnum and well as 9 mm Luger.Tracy still would like to know if you are sharpening you fingernail files :lol:
Bob Cox

Post by Bob Cox »

Back in the club days,I studied Loose-Leg-O off my steel it may go. :roll: