lost standby feature

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Dennis Yager

lost standby feature

Post by Dennis Yager »

Stand by button and also the turnoff/standby mode both fail to work. Tryed device mgmt. msc keyboard reinstall to no effect. Restored PC to earlier points, one worked shortly the standby mode when actiated then later stopped when activated...other word, I don't no longer have the feature of manually standby or PC standby..appreciate any input...thanks
Andy Sandoval

Post by Andy Sandoval »

Hi Dennis, have you checked your power settings? Right click on your desktop then go to properties/screensaver/then click on the power button at the bottom and then check your settings under the "advanced" and "hibernate" tabs.
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

Standby is designed to work on laptop computers. If it works at all on a workstation PC, it is a blessing. Running programs may not give up their active positions in memory, causing standby to fail. Drivers for audio and video devices, or scanners, may cause standby to fail.

You might try closing all running applications before attempting to enter the standby state. If that works you will know that one of the running apps was the problem.
"Wiz" Feinberg, Moderator SGF Computers Forum
Security Consultant
Twitter: @Wizcrafts
Main web pages: Wiztunes Steel Guitar website | Wiz's Security Blog | My Webmaster Services | Wiz's Security Blog
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

Because of the multitude of potential problems that can occur on desktops, Standby is not recommended. The alternative is to "power off" the monitor and hard drive(s) at whatever time interval you want.

Hibernate, another option that was designed for laptops, doesn't really get you anything except a longer time to shut down and a longer time to start up.
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

My monitor power-off works as it's supposed to but when I tried to set up a hard drive power-down interval I was informed that this option was not available under the current settings---this was not the exact message but it was something like that. I have revisited this a couple of times and each time it has been the same on this Dell desktop WinXP rig. Puzzling.