How to Survive a Heart Attack When Alone (for real)

Upcoming steel guitar shows, concerts, jam sessions, club dates, etc.

Moderator: Dave Mudgett

Jim Cohen

How to Survive a Heart Attack When Alone (for real)

Post by Jim Cohen »

I know we don't have an "Off Topic" area anymore, but I thought this was so important and might save a life, so I wanted to post it somewhere. Think of it as an "Announcement" about an "Event" we hope will never take place!

HOW TO SURVIVE A HEART ATTACK WHEN ALONE

From Health Cares, Rochester General Hospital via Chapter 240s newsletter.

Let's say it's 2:15 am and you're driving home (alone of course), after a late gig in which the lead guitarist played all over all your solos (okay, NOW it has to do with steel guitar!) You're really tired, upset and frustrated. Suddenly you start experiencing severe pain in your chest that
starts to radiate out into your arm and up into your jaw. You are only about five miles from the hospital nearest your home. Unfortunately you don't know if you'll be able to make it that far. What can you do? You've been trained in CPR but the guy that taught the course neglected to tell you how to perform it on yourself. Since many people are alone when they suffer a heart attack, this article seemed in order. Without help, the person whose heart stops beating properly and who begins to feel faint, has only about 10 seconds left before losing consciousness. However, these victims can help themselves by coughing repeatedly and very vigorously. A deep breath should be taken before each cough, and the cough must be deep and prolonged, as when producing sputum from deep inside the chest. A breath and a cough must be repeated about every two seconds without letting up until help arrives, or until the heart is to be beating normally again. Deep breaths get oxygen into the lungs and coughing movements squeeze the heart and keep the blood circulating. The squeezing pressure on the heart also helps it regain normal rhythm. In this way, heart attack victims can get to a hospital.

Tell as many other people as possible about this, it could save a life.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 31 October 2000 at 06:50 AM.]</p></FONT>
erik

Post by erik »

Thanks Jim,
I would also like to add that having a healthy diet and exercise program can help prevent a heart attack from occurring in the first place (depending on your family history and genetics, of course). We live in a world of information and i encourage everyone to do research into the benefits of proper eating. This can be a controversial subject and here is not the place to debate it. But, i will say this much: As much as possible i avoid processed foods, fried foods, and any foods prepared with oils other than high monounsaturated oils. Needless to say i shop at a natural food store. However, i still cheat. This afternoon i had a double cheesburger at Mc'Ds. But tonight it's steamed veggies with some potatos. If you really care you'll do your own research.
Dave Burton

Post by Dave Burton »

Thanks Jim for the post, thats some very good information. DB
Steel tryin

Post by Steel tryin »

I feel I'm qualified to chime in here.
Great advise. I would try to feel my pulse.
Easiest under the jaw next to the Adam's
Apple. If its fast > 100 and you feel
like your going to fade give yourself
a quick thump in the breast bone(STERNUM).
You know the OLD Chris Farley manuvre.
(Da Bears). This could convert you from
a Vtach to a stable rhythm and I don't mean
a 4/4 shuffle.
Terry in H-town

Post by Terry in H-town »

Thanks Jim, Will this work on drummers too?
LOL This is very nice to know and I will pass it along. Image