PA Reissues....avaliable again !

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Paul Warnik

Post by Paul Warnik »

Todd-I am really happy that you have carried on the Bigsby tradition with the torch I have passed on to you-I know you are passionate about your work and indeed it shows-I am impressed to say the least-I wish you all the best in your new endeavor-and I believe you are indeed the one who was destined to make your mark in the continuing legacy of The Great Paul A. Bigsby-PW
CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

What an initiative !
Congratulations Todd
i too wish you the very best
Now there's a good reason to start savin' $$$$ up
Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Beautiful work!
Todd Clinesmith

Post by Todd Clinesmith »

Thanks again . I got home late last night after working on my new spray booth, what a great response . I am very passionate about these steels, and feel fortunate to be carrying on this legacy, and trying my best to do PAB's work justice.
I have had quite a few emails and I am working on getting back to everybody this AM.
I forgot to mension these are a 24.5 inch scale.

Will, thanks .... glad you are enjoying the reso. I will get back to you here soon by email.

Andy S, I belive it is against forum rules to post a price. I will send you an email.

Bobbe S , you are crazy my freind , and I share that in common with you. I will try and call here soon.

Gary S. I am working on a single neck now.... I have a template for six string wood neck guitars and I would probably build some if I saw the intrest.

Paul W. Your words mean alot to me. I tried calling you last week and I will try you again here soon. I have a few things that are ready for you.

Todd
Chris Lucker

Post by Chris Lucker »

Great looking guitars, Todd. Show some of your resonators too. They are beautiful as well.

Chris
Will Hart

Post by Will Hart »

Somewhere PA is smiling....
Denny Turner

Post by Denny Turner »

Yee-Hahhh; The too-long silent wait is over. I hope this dreamin' ain't in my sleep. And just my luck; When my ship comes in ...I'm down at the darn bus station ...having to panhandle! :?

Dare I add to my frustration by asking what the deserving prices might be..... :aside:
Aloha,
Denny T~
http://www.dennysguitars.com/

Please help support humanity:
http://www.redcross.org/en/aboutus
Todd Clinesmith

Thanks for the invite Chris.
Heres a few of my favorites although the one I just sent out to Will I am extremely pleased with.

My personal Koa Guitar . This wood looks like a topo map in person. Truly one of the nicest boards I will probably ever get my hands on. Oil finish, Koa neck and Koa binding.

Heres another I built for Dobro wizard Roger Williams.
Curly Maple with Gold Harware

Also a photo of one of my Hawaiian guitars which I have recently stopped taking orders for. Alot of folks have wondered why I stopped building these guitars. The reason is because I was focussing on getting these PA Reissues off the ground. Being a one man shop I can't do it all. I just sent a great Hawaiian out to a forum member a few weeks back. I would love to show a photo of it by my digital camera was dropped by my 10 month old :(

Denny I sent you an email. Thanks for keeping the tight lip.
Thanks again everybody for your kind words.
Todd
Dustin Elmer

Post by Dustin Elmer »

GORGEOUS! could a feller get one with an ashtray installed?
Dusty Elmer
Mitch Druckman

Post by Mitch Druckman »

I was so impressed by the pictures of the D8 and T8. A huge task and such beautiful work. The reso and Weiss knocked me out too.
Mike Black

Post by Mike Black »

Todd, Great news. When are you gong to have ordering info and priceing? Or will it be a piece by piece endevour? Are you winding your own PU's?
I've wanted to do the same thing for years, but only offering non pedals. As a solo project I couldn't realistically see building Non pedal steels to be much more than a self supporting hobby at best. But as an addition to your Reso line it'll be a great match and will hopefully keep you swamped with orders for both!
Todd Clinesmith

Dustin I do have a few ashtrays around here. One original and a few recasts. When I start up my back yard foundry I will do projects like making ashtrays ect. So , yes I could install one on a guitar.

Thanks Mitch for the comments. Hope I did not stray too far off topic with my other guitars.
When I brought the steels to my freinds studio here in Oregon. I had forgot to put back on my hand rests on the D-8. I took them off to show the pickups to some folks who were looking at my steel. These will included on the cast neck guitars as well.

Todd
Todd Clinesmith

Mike,
I will have my web guy put a few photos up on my website here soon, as well as some basic pricing. He is a on the road musician, so it might be a little bit. This winter sometime we will be redesigning my website. By then I will have a few customers steels done and photographed. As well as another model I am working on 8) . I have answered alot of emails ... giving pricing and ordering info. I did build a nice pickup winder but have a freind doing them for me. As with my Resonators these will be a custom ordered guitar, with the ocasional in stock instrument.

I also will be offering a few parts for original guitars that need help as Paul Warnik did. Mostly just items like legs and side rails for the triple necks, and doing repairs, pedal set ups/ upgrades. It will be a bit before I offer rails ect to other owners since I am just trying to take care of my own guitars for the time being. Plus I don't want to overload my machinist with too much. Every time I bring a new part to get machined he says " wow, how many parts are on these guitars, you sure are driven "
I guess thats what it takes . I know we both share the same passion for these guitars.
Todd
Will Hart

Post by Will Hart »

Image?

My new Clinesmith. The maple binding really highlites the beauty of the rest of the guitar. Todd is a master.
Last edited by Will Hart on 20 Sep 2007 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rick Aiello

Post by Rick Aiello »

Todd Clinesmith wrote: When I start up my back yard foundry I will do projects like making ashtrays ect.
:mrgreen:
I had forgot to put back on my hand rests on the D-8. I took them off to show the pickups to some folks who were looking at my steel. These will included on the cast neck guitars as well.
:mrgreen: ;-) :mrgreen:
Tim Whitlock

Post by Tim Whitlock »

I've been gazing at these photos for the last half hour and I'm speechless! What an artist!
TonyL

Post by TonyL »

Amazing. I can't wait to play one....!!
Todd Clinesmith

Rick,
I hope you know your the inspiration on the back yard foundry.
I have been slowly collecting flasks, and books on casting. I actually made the flask for my foundry to cast my necks since they did not have one large enough.

Todd
Ray Montee

FANTABULOUS looking guitars!

Post by Ray Montee »

I can only compliment you on your excellent work. These are truly works of art.

I particularly like the highly polished pick-up covers or as some say, ARM RESTS! That's a really fine touch.

What about the underside of the guitars? Are you using pullys and wires for the pedals or, are you using an Emmons/Sho-Bud type pedal system? Just curious.....

I do find the black volume and tone knobs to be distracting from the rest of this beautiful instrument. Are they plastic or Bakelite?

If these are TRULY Paul Bigsby 'look a-likes'.....how long of a waiting period does one have to endure to acquire one of your artistic endeavors? I had to wait three years for mine.

Good Luck to you!
Todd Clinesmith

Thank you Ray. I will have to bring one up to Portland sometime. I was actually up there monday .
The undersides are traditional cable , duck foot pulley bases and phenolic aircraft pulleys. I did not get any undercarriage photos taken at my photgraphers studio. Oh yeah the fingers are cast from PA's original pattern, and the springs are NOS.

I appreciate the feed back on the knobs. They are also NOS cast aluminum knobs. I have seen original guitars with these knobs left plain and painted. My wife shares your same thoughts. I also felt the plain aluminum gave an unfinished look. On the photos up above there is some serious flash glare on the knobs and makes them look a tad more glossy than in person. I guess either way would be traditional.
I have alot of Resonator guitars on order and have spaced them so I can fit some steels in. I would quote 6 months for a steel guitar. This might reflect an early 50's waiting period :wink: .
I am surprised you did not ask if I would be building quads :D
Thanks again
Dave Burr

Post by Dave Burr »

:whoa:

^
^
^
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Here's a bump to the top for a work of art!!
Jamie O'Connell

Post by Jamie O'Connell »

OMG! Those are gorgeous! I think I am going to have to get me a PA D8 soon.
--Jamie
Ron Whitfield

Post by Ron Whitfield »

Can those be fitted with Rickenbacher horseshoe styled PUs?

Any Joaquin Murphy/Bigsby styled laps possible?
Dana Duplan

Post by Dana Duplan »

Top notch work Todd! I too am waiting for details on that lap model per my previous contact.
DD
Todd Clinesmith

Ron,
I am sure these can be fitted with a horseshoe style pickup with a narrow horseshoe. After seeing the photos of Murphs T-8 the thought has crossed my mind. I will look into it at sometime. Although I would not do anything to get the Rickenbacker co. breathing down my neck.... I like to keep life simple.

I am working on a J.M style guitar as well, more based on his T-8 , but down the line probably will work on a D-8 lap as well.
I have had alot of intrest on a lap guitar. I should have my prototype done here soon. Dana I will email you when I get the prototype finished.

Todd