My GFI @ the Factory Today

Instruments, mechanical issues, copedents, techniques, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Rodney Garrison

My GFI @ the Factory Today

Post by Rodney Garrison »

As I had a day of vacation today I thought I'd call the good folks at GFI to set an appointment for some special work I'd like to have done.
Bob invited me to their Arlington, Texas shop to accommodate my needs. A hour and twenty minutes later my D-10 GFI was on Bob's bench getting my changes made.
You can get that extra feel for a product when you are at the very location of its beginning.
The facility was very clean and very well organized.
Best of all, The AC was working perfect.
I'm proud to say that Bob took care of my special needs while we visited for just a few minutes.
I was back home in no time with my guitar.
Thanks for a Great Guitar and Exceptional Customer Service.
Rodney
" Even if you're on the right track , you'll get run over if you just sit there. "

---Will Rogers---
Jim Sliff

Post by Jim Sliff »

When I was on the great adventure of changing my Ultra to an experimental 3+4 B6 (with several splits - essentially most of Sneaky Pete's 11 pedals/levers crammed into a 3+4), Bob was endless in his patience and help in getting the crazy thing working like a swiss watch. He knew he was working with a steel mechanic rookie, and helped refine a concept put together by several folks into something that worked better than expected. I have nothing but absolutely the highest praise and respect for the guys at GFI.

They didn't even tell me I was nuts - although I'm sure they WANTED to!

;-)
No chops, but great tone
1930's/40's Rickenbacher/Rickenbacker 6&8 string lap steels
1921 Weissenborn Style 2; Hilo&Schireson hollownecks
Appalachian, Regal & Dobro squarenecks
1959 Fender 400 9+2 B6;1960's Fender 800 3+3+2; 1948 Fender Dual-8 Professional
Rodney Garrison

Jim, That is exactly what I was trying to express.
Bob's ability to determine exactly what I wanted, and you too, and put the mechanics to work.
I've been an aerospace machinist for over 20 years and I can see the quality in the GFI product.
But, it takes a true craftsman to make it sing.
Bob gives the extra effort to his work.
As a GFI customer, I can guarantee that I WILL be a repeat customer because of the way my needs were met and because of the product.
Congratulations Mr. Fields
Rodney
" Even if you're on the right track , you'll get run over if you just sit there. "

---Will Rogers---
Ken Mizell

GFI Question

Post by Ken Mizell »

Rodney - I've never seen the back side of a GFI. I'm wondering - what is the distance from the floor to the bottom of the rear apron? I've been doing some speculating, and wondering if I can fit under one of those without getting longer legs and rods. Thanks.

Ken
Steeless.
Jeremy Threlfall

Post by Jeremy Threlfall »

I think GFI are one of those right-minded firms who supply the steel with custom length rods/legs from the get-go (to use an American turn of phrase). I have read a number of posts here on the forum describing how buyers of second hand GFIs have simply called GFI for a new set of legs/rods.
Mike Sigler

Post by Mike Sigler »

I have played GFI about 4 or 5 years now.. there service is always the very best. There product is great, and when your out here on the road trying to feed your family, it sure helps to know you have folks like GFI in your corner to be there when ever you need them..
PS. Be sure to check out the NEW Expo.. These are killer guitars.
Mike
Rodney Garrison

Ken, That measurment reads 26 and 1/2 inches.
And there is some adjustment there also.

And Mike is correct-- I saw the EXPO and you can bet that one of these will be at my home soon.
I really like way they look.
Thanks

---Will Rogers---
Jay Jessup

Post by Jay Jessup »

I find GFI one of the most user friendly guitars made if you like to change an experiment with tunings. On most guitars I have found that even with a simple change you have to move five other things to get to it, on the GFI you just plan it out and go.
Ken Mizell

Post by Ken Mizell »

Thanks for the info folks. I'm interested in a guitar that will last a long time, well engineered, easy to tote around, plays well, and has excellent support from the manufacturer. Looks like GFI has all of that and more. I'll admit that I had to warm up to the different looks of a GFI, but it kind of grows on you. I'd like to see the "wrap around" style of the Expo incorporated into the Ultra. I don't like that hammertone finish very much, but I'm curious as to what it looks like in person. With 26 1/2 inch clearance, I can most likely fit under a GFI without extra length legs/rods, especially if I use a low profile volume pedal. There are a lot of respectable folks, including well known pros, using GFI's, which says a lot. Thanks again,

Ken
Steeless.
Rodney Garrison

Hey Ken,

I hope the G F I will work for you.

It has for me AND I'm starting a special

fund to get JUST ONE MORE !

I too had reservations in the beginning.

Don't know why ??

But I fall into the catorgy :

"Most people are down on what their not up on."

I bought it-- I like it-- nuff said.

--till later--.

Good Luck Ken,
Rodney

---Will Rogers---