Session 400 ?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Les Green

Session 400 ?

Post by Les Green »

My Nv 400 went belly-up a couple of weeks ago and while it's down I borrowed a friends Session 400. Question.....on the back there's a 1/4 jack labeled "BOOSTER". Is this a pre-amp out or what? My friend didn't know and I have no experience with Session.
Les Green
73 MSA D10 8&4, 74 MSA S10 3&5, Legrande II 8&9, Fender Squier 6 string, Genesis III, Peavey 1000
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

It is a signal derived at the speaker output, not at the preamp. It is an unbalanced signal of about 1 volt RMS designed to feed an external power amp.
Cliff Kane

Post by Cliff Kane »

I was wondering what that was, too. Wow, you can put 1 volt into an amp? What is the common voltage that comes out of a preamp? 1 volt sounds high, but maybe I'm thinking of speakers.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

Most power amps are rated at around 1 volt RMS input signal for full power out. Typically most preamps put out around 1 volt RMS.

That is to large a signal for the input of a guitar amp!
Cliff Kane

Post by Cliff Kane »

Okay, that's probably what I was thinking of.
Thanks, Ken!
Les Green

Post by Les Green »

Thanks for the replys my friends. Now I at least know what it is. The guy who sets up our sound system thought it was OK to run from it to the system. He wasn't sure and I wasn't either so we didn't. Anyway it's a GREAT sounding amp but dang it's HEAVY! I'd guess right around 250 lbs! Thanks again.
Les Green
73 MSA D10 8&4, 74 MSA S10 3&5, Legrande II 8&9, Fender Squier 6 string, Genesis III, Peavey 1000
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

You can use the booster as a line out, for sure. I run a 1/4" cable from the booster to a DI box that goes directly to the P.A. system. Works like a charm. The sound guys all love it.
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com
Tim Pfeiffer

considering buying a 400 session limited

Post by Tim Pfeiffer »

Hey guys,
I'm considering buying a Peavey 400 session "limited". Would you mind enlightening me about the difference between the limited and the plain old regular 400? The word limited scares me. I'm limited and there's only room for one of us. I realize it's a heavey mother but that's not an issue since I'm such a manly man. Actually I'm a 51 year old skinny musician type and I most likely will never take the amp out to gig. I'm currently play with my old Peavey Studio Chorus 210 and the tones is pretty weak to say the least.
Thanks for any input.
Tim
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

They are similar in name only! Other than that they do not sound the same, etc....
Chris LeDrew

Post by Chris LeDrew »

Tim, the "LTD 400" is a smaller cabinet version of the Session 400, while the "Limited" is a newer 80's version. Would the one you're looking at be an LTD or a Limited?

Just saw your posts on the Session Limited ad.......question answered. :)
Jackson Steel Guitars
Web: www.chrisledrew.com