Karoakie is an Insult

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Dayna Wills

Post by Dayna Wills »

It is rather insulting to have Karaoke at a club where a live band is playing. One time I was hired to sing at a private club with my tracks. Before I started, they were teaching line dancing. When I fired up, they kept coming up and asking me to play the songs they had learned to dance to. I thought it was arrogant of the people who hired me to think that I could accommadate them. I wasn't even doing that style of country. They could have danced to what I was doing, but they didn't know how to do the step to any song other than the one they learned it by. One of the dance teachers handed me a tape and said, "This will help you." Now, THAT was insulting.
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

WHAT MOST SAID..
IT IS VERY DISCOURAGING TO SET IN CHURCH WITH AT LEAST 20 OUTHER MUSICIANS AND LISTEN TO SOME HAWG CALLER THAT THINK ONLY BIG BEN KEEPS TIME..... I DON'T GO TO THQT CHURCH ANY MORE..
IF I DIDN'T KNOW BETTER, I WOULD SWEAR SOMEONE SPIKED THE SACREMENT WINE...
JW U PK;;;;;;;;;
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

J.W. you are right my friend,For the nay-sayers out there that don't believe the kareoke crap has not cost thousands of musicions across this country work,I have a little girl named Dorthy with a pooch calld Toto I would like them to meet.In this small area here where I live which includes Phenix City Alabama,Columbus Ga,and Fort Benning Ga.Just a few short years ago there was over a dozen bands,country,southern rock,and metal bands that worked reg,There is only one now I'm aware of with a steady job.Even the old standbys you could alwayes count on such as VFW's Legions,Shrines etc are doing the kakeoke thing,so don't pee in my ear and tell me it's raining,by telling me this s^%$ has not hurt working musicions.
Hard headed, opinionated old geezer. BAMA CHARLIE. GOD BLESS AMERICA. ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST. SUPPORT LIVE MUSIC !
Al Collinsworth

Karaoke

Post by Al Collinsworth »

edit
Last edited by Al Collinsworth on 22 Apr 2008 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Don Sulesky

Post by Don Sulesky »

I didn't know there were so many ways to spell KARAOKE. If you want to knock it. Learn to spell it correctly.
Bob Blair

Post by Bob Blair »

Back in the day some of the bars had nights where there were male exotic dancers during the breaks! Surely some folks at least would think Karaoke is an improvement on that.......

I never much liked Karaoke, but it is mostly just people having a few laughs. Nothing wrong with that.
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Round these parts Karaoke bars are 25 to 1 vs places for live music.
There are a few, but most of the locals
can't afford to drink there.

I have ceased to even worry about it.
It's a fact of life in Asia.

One of the benifits it gives an outlet for
those people that would ask the band if
they can sit in...

They don't need to they go do karaoke!
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Al Collinsworth

Karaoke

Post by Al Collinsworth »

edit
Last edited by Al Collinsworth on 22 Apr 2008 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matti Viitala

Re: Karaoke

Post by Matti Viitala »

Al Collinsworth wrote:Doesn't Karaoke translate (in a round-about way) as a "talent contest?" (Just guessing). A club-owner friend of mine once asked me, "If a duck was standing on your stage beating a tin cup with a pencil, drawing a huge crowd and bringing in tons of money every night, would you really want to get rid of the duck?" I'd probably keep the duck, too.
Amen to that!
Karaoke have feed my kids whole their lives.

And btw, restaurant keeper don't decide beetween live band and kära-åke, cash register does.
Bass player works just like a drum, you just need to hit it.
Bob Cox

Post by Bob Cox »

I forgot to mention they also had a banjo picker
with two phantom mikes that played too.I am sure that if they fired up on Karoakie at the grand ol opry instead of a live band it would clear the building of paying customers.
I am a union member and Just standing for what I think is right.I have been able to secure another gig or two.Joe Adams recently took my place so there
in good hands.
Pete Finney

Post by Pete Finney »

One time I was hired to sing at a private club with my tracks.

Isn't "singing to tracks" the very definition of "karaoke"...?

Which brings up an important distinction that I haven't seen mentioned here. To me it's one thing to get up and sing to tracks for the amusement of yourself and your friends; it doesn't do much for me personally but it's no big deal.

But as someone who makes a living playing music it strikes me as a whole different ballgame to hire yourself out as a professional performer while using prerecorded tracks instead of real musicians. I know there's quite a few here who do that and I guess you got to do what you got to do but THAT is undermining the whole idea of live performance, and live music in my humble opinion.

(edited to say that I just saw this being discussed on another thread that I hadn't seen when I posted this, but I'll leave this anyway as my two cent's worth on the subject)
Last edited by Pete Finney on 27 Aug 2007 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Fabian

Post by John Fabian »

Actually, Karaoke translates as "empty orchestra".
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

Two things to know if you sing Karaoke:
1. Songs you can sing.
2. Songs you can't.
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

Deleted
Last edited by James Cann on 28 Aug 2007 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

Deleted.
Last edited by James Cann on 28 Aug 2007 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

WHAT--NO KAROAKE!!! The band does not allow me to sing. I'm just suppose to sit back and play the steel. The only chance I get to sing is during the break is with the karoake machine. Can't wait until the next break. :) Joe
Brint Hannay

Post by Brint Hannay »

It is rather insulting to have Karaoke at a club where a live band is playing.
On the other hand, it beats having the live band be expected to be the karaoke machine!
Alan Coldiron

Post by Alan Coldiron »

Just curious. Those who don’t like karaoke, do you use Band In A Box on your Steel Guitar recordings or at jam’s?
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Kariaoke can be insulting if the operator
or audence are using it as a cudgle on an
actual player to conform, as if he was a
stack of karaoke cds. As seems to be the
case for some of the posters here.

That's more rude people, than 'Karaoke' the concept.

At least it lets the abysmally untalented have some fun,
and NOT on the same stage as me in most all cases.
But as someone who makes a living playing music it strikes me as a whole different ballgame to hire yourself out as a professional performer while using prerecorded tracks instead of real musicians. I know there's quite a few here who do that and I guess you got to do what you got to do but THAT is undermining the whole idea of live performance, and live music in my humble opinion.
Well it is the only logical response cost wise
for real players as a solo act vs the Kareoke phenomenon.

Also there are a large number of rooms that like music,
but just can't handle the volume DB of a real band,
but will GLADLY pay for a regular act at an
acceptable volume.

Hence many fine players suppliment their band gig nights with backing track solo or duos.

Is it the ideal, no but it IS A GIG that PAYS...
enough to keep a family going on musicians pay
in many cases.
DLD, Chili farmer. Plus bananas and papaya too.

Real happiness has no strings attached.
But pedal steels have many!
Jim Kennedy

Post by Jim Kennedy »

As was stated earlier, if the duck makes money, why fire the duck?? I'll say it again though, the problem is not karaoke, it's the audience. Why watch reality tv when I can see all my buddies live every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday making fools of themselves?? It's a cultural thing, an educational thing. Music is no longer as important as it once was on a personal level. Most people want to be entetained, and when you look for what passes as entertainment, especially music, it's no wonder Karaoke is a hit. Most clubs around here have karaoke on the weekends. The places are packed. Bring in a live band, half as many people. They all go to the bar that has karaoke. This is not an exageration. I see it all the time. At least in my area, people who want live music are in the minority. Club owners hire what puts bucks in the till. Around here it's Karaoke and DJ's. I would probably do the same thing if tha's what paid the bills. When it comes to making momey, there is no accounting for taste.
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

I agree with you, Jim, however, have you ever wondered why club owners never did this 50 years ago?
Tucker Jackson

Post by Tucker Jackson »

Well, you can't blame the audience for wanting to get up and sing. It's a natural reaction to want to "be part of the show." Karaoke gives them the chance to sing without asking the band to sit-it. :)

And you can't blame club owners for giving the audience what they want. Especially if they're limiting the karaoke to band-breaks.

At the end of the night, the crowd is happy. They got to hear a hot band... and they also got to be part of the show. They arguably had a better time too, because they saw a bit of variety.

They're more likely to come back the next time you play.
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Karaoke tracks are great to practice with, I've bought a mess of them from Itunes. :)
Darvin Willhoite
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, as well as some older MSAs, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Recently added a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored blue Rose, named the "Blue Bird" to the herd. Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic again that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also added a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks.
Bent Romnes

Post by Bent Romnes »

There you have a great idea, Darvin!
Shorty Smith

Post by Shorty Smith »

You are so right Charlie, My friend, and I'm vey lucky to be the steel player with the only country band here that has a steady playing job. Lucky also to have you sitting in for me when I have to be out for a night or two, Thanks Charlie