Need some basic double-track advice

Studio and home recording topics

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Steve Robinson

Need some basic double-track advice

Post by Steve Robinson »

Just got a laptop and here's what I want to do:
- Sit in my music room and record a track of my playing.
- Play it back on headphones while I record a second track of me playing, with both signals through the headphones.
- I'm looking at Tracktion and n-Track and Cubase (have demo versions of all).
- Seems like I need a hardware mixer too - true?
- Need anything else for a simple double-track job? (other than mics, amps, and oh-oh, some musical talent)

Many thanks, friends,
Steve

Earnest Bovine

Post by Earnest Bovine »

You need a computer audio interface, which will cost anywhere from about $100 to $2000.
It would connect to your PC via Firewire or USB (not PCI because you are using a laptop computer).

for example, look here: http://www.zzounds.com/cat--Computer-Music--2417

The inputs, outputs, mixer functions etc will all be on the box you get. And they all come with even more demo versions of recording software, which is probably all you need for a while.

The Digidesign boxes run Pro Tools, and the others don't. The others will run all the software except Pro Tools. So you might want to decide first whether or not you want Pro Tools.
Russ Little

Post by Russ Little »

Steve,
I'm a poor old country boy and I do that
with just my laptop an cakewalk ,
I bought an old outdated copy on ebay
for about 20 bucks.It lets you playback
and record at same time.
don't even need no ducktape LOL

------------------
BMI S10 3&5
Zb custom s10 3&1
Fender2000D10 8&1
NV112

http://usera.imagecave.com/ruslit/Guitars/BMISTEEL.jpg
Steve Robinson

Post by Steve Robinson »

Thanks, gents. Your notes sent me in exactly the right direction. I bought a little Behringer Xenyx802 mixer and UCA200 audio input box for $100 combined and am now happily experimenting away. Sure appreciate the advice! Steve
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Steve-I just got a Samson MDR 624 for $79.00 from Sam Ash Music,and it will do all that.

My friend Chuck Christenson from Illinois,has been showing me how to do BIAB and hear it while recording live, no earphones.(I hate using earphones).

He sent me a nice CD of his and sounds great. But I need some cords and one single to a double before I can try it. Maybe, I'll get it going yet and play some of my old standards and jazz tunes and put it on a CD, just for fun, not for money, that's for sure..al Image

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/