Might have to go it alone

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bill Byrd

Might have to go it alone

Post by Bill Byrd »

If there's anyone in this town who teaches steel they're well hidden. A few years ago I went looking for a lap steel. You'd think the music store operators didn't know there was such a thing let alone who might teach me. So I'm probably gonna have to order my picks and bar and rely on tab to teach myself. I don't even know how to tune my guitar. Can I use a "regular" guitar electronic tuner? What's the best place to get some super simple tab? Thanks for all the help. This is one great forum I stumbled in to. A forum just for steel heads. What a great time we're living in!

------------------
I've been wishing since 1959 for another Sleep Walk. It will happen.
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Bill, I'd recommend you take a trip over to Brad's Page Of Steel.
you'll find lots of good info regarding tunings and instructional material, plus other goodies, over there.
Brad's page was a great help for me when I was starting out (and it still is),- not many teachers here in Norway either.... Image

Best of luck to you!

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

John Pelz

Post by John Pelz »

Yeah -- what Steinar said! Doug Beaumier has kindly posted some free tab here. The nonpedal/lap-steel tab is for 6-string gtr., using C6 tuning (ECAGEC - high to low).
<SMALL>Can I use a "regular" guitar electronic tuner? </SMALL>
I'm pretty new myself, so more informed people, feel free to correct me, if need be -- but if you're talking about one of those basic tuners that only allow "standard" guitar tuning (EADGBE), then I think that you're out of luck. I had one such tuner that I used for my bass when I started with steel guitar, and I had to get a hold of a chromatic tuner, which will allow you to tune to any given note. Luckily, I was able to bum one off my brother... Image
Steinar Gregertsen

Post by Steinar Gregertsen »

Yes,- you will need a chromatic tuner in order to tune to any tuning you want.
In time you will learn to tune by ear and will only need the tuner for the first string (but they still come in very handy in noisy live situations).

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Hi Bill, Here is a contact in Knoxville. While Butch teaches pedal steel, I am sure he could get you going on the C-6th tuning.

Butch Peters Teaches E9/C6 in the Knoxville, Tennessee area.

E-Mail: bp@hjpeters.com

Roger

Rick Alexander

Post by Rick Alexander »

Bill,
Why don't you get a couple of instructional videos or DVDs? There are a ton of them out there - Georgeboards has them, Cindy Cashdollar has a dandy 2 video Western Swing Steel tutorial for C6th tuning - it's all over eBay, just search for "steel guitar".
If you want to get into some lap steel theory, check this guy out - http://www.homestead.com/dennysguitars/lessonsindex1.html
Rick

------------------
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Hi, Bill, if you're ever planning on driving through three hours south,(Atlanta), let me know and I'll be glad to set up a lesson with you. We could do an all-day bash and really make it worth your while. Please feel free any time to email me with any other questions I might be able to help out with, and best of luck!

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
Kevin Ruddell

Post by Kevin Ruddell »

Although I've played guitar, bass, and a little sax for the last 30 years, I'm pretty new to the non pedal steel world . What was a great help for me was the introductory video by Jerry Byrd ( and Jerry's single song tab's ) available through Scotty's Music , Cindy Cashdollar's video's, Andy Volk's lap steel book , John Ely's great advice to take some lessons, Scotty's book,tab and CD , going to the annual Steel Guitar Benefit shows presented by Jess Hurt locally ( this years starts tomorrow at noon ), and of course; this forum.