Need some help with terminology

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Bill Byrd

Need some help with terminology

Post by Bill Byrd »

I know what a pedal steel is. I know what a lap steel is. They're both guitars. But if you ask the average Joe to hand you a guitar they're gonna hand you one like Eric Clapton plays. If I actually want one like Clapton plays-- what should I ask for? I've been using the term "regular" but that doesn't really seem like an adequate way to describe something? I need to know the proper name so I can ask my next question.

------------------
I've been wishing since 1959 for another Sleep Walk. It will happen.
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Bill: Click on the following link and read it all. It explains steel guitars in basic terms.
Brad's Page of Steel
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Bill,
A guitar like Eric Clapton plays is commonly called an electric guitar (aka Fender Stratocaster). But EC also plays an acoustic guitar. Both of these types are part of the Spanish guitar family, and that includes the classical guitar. All of the above have 6 strings and have a round neck.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
hope this helps.
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

Eric who? Image
basilh

Post by basilh »

Clapped-out !!
Perry Hansen

Post by Perry Hansen »

Roger. Thanks for asking that question. I was wondering the same thing.
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

I think Chet Atkins would be a better example of an electric guitar player for old pharts like Bill, Perry and myself.IMHO After all he is a C.G.P. Right Jody.

Roger
Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

I sometimes say "standard" guitar to differentiate between the two, if I'm referring to both in the same conversation.

But if you're asking a 'non-steel' person for a "regular" guitar...especially in music stores, you wouldn't need to specify that it's not a "steel" guitar. Just saying "guitar" or using electric/acoustic would do the trick. In most music stores, you won't find a steel, and depending upon the age and experience of the staff, many don't even know what one is!