Gerry Hogan - unsung hero

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ken Byng

Gerry Hogan - unsung hero

Post by Ken Byng »

I've just had the pleasure of catching up with Gerry after many years, and enjoyed swapping recollections with him. As well as being one of the finest players in Europe, Gerry has been responsible for bringing many of the great players from the USA over to Britain to perform at his festivals. Without doubt, he has probably done more to promote the steel guitar in the UK than anyone else. What's more, he is still touring with his band and appears to be enjoying his music as much as he has ever done.
Jamie Lennon

Post by Jamie Lennon »

Gerry has promoted the Steel Guitar great over in the UK. I guess if someone asked you name a UK steel player, his would be the first to come to mind !

His a great player, great to deal with and a real nice person
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

I heartily concur, Ken!

Gerry was my mentor back in the '70s when I first decided to tackle pedal steel, and he gave his time selflessly.

As far as his 'importing' of some US 'greats' is concerned, I wonder how many of us who have had the pleasure of enjoying Buddy, Paul, Herby, Doug and many others on our 'home turf' realise just what effort has been involved. Gerry, Barbara, and all the family threw themselves wholeheartedly into the venture, and they usually finished up 'in the red'. Gerry did all that for the love of the instrument, and I've often thought how lucky we all were to reap the benefit.

I met him first in about 1966 when he was playing with Jamie, Jon and Jerry (sic) at the Red Lion, Brentford. That was an epiphany for me, because I was playing guitar for singer Eden Kane, and country music was no more than a blip on my radar. Hearing Gerry changed all that, and I went straight out and bought my first Telecaster!

Above all, Gerry is a long-standing and dear friend, and if I had an award to give away, he'd be at the top of my list!

A very happy Christmas to Gerry and his wonderful family....

RR
Bobby Caldwell

Post by Bobby Caldwell »

Gerry is a great talent, my hero for sure. Gerry used to come to the St. Louis Show a lot and we became dear friends. He plays great steel and can burn the socks off a lead guitar. I miss him everytime the St.Louis show comes around and Gerry isn't there. So many people always ask about him. I hope he can return to St. Louis in '07. We will have more fun pickin'. Gerry I loveya pal and hope this finds you in good health. Happy Hoildays to you and yours, Bobby
Earl Erb

Post by Earl Erb »

I had the pleasure of working with Jerry in 1969 on a RCA European Tour when I was employed by Skeeter Davis. Jerrys group was known as Country Fever. Albert Lee was also in the band. We became good friends. I recently got an email from Jerry.
John Roche

Post by John Roche »

Gerry is the kindest person i have ever met. Only yesterday he went out of his to make sure my new JH Bar was delivered to me on time.
Thanks Gerry . We met up about a month ago after 20 years and was greeted with big hug.
He was the first steel player i ever saw way back in the 60's, we have been friends ever since.
Terry Wood

Post by Terry Wood »

I bought an album years ago by Gerry and still have it. It was a well played album. Thanks!

GOD bless and Merry Christmas!

Terry Wood
basilh

Post by basilh »

Gerry and Barbara Hogan at the LAST UK Festival.

Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

One thing we both discussed was that of teaching. I think we have both got pleasure from setting people on the road to playing steel guitar. The common thread among everyone who knows Gerry is that he is a gentleman in the true sense of the word. Gerry started playing before me, but we both came from an era where information about pedal steel was patchy in the UK, and he in turn gleaned a lot from the late, great Gordon Huntley. It was apparent at the steel show that we both attended last night that he is still fascinated and enthralled by the instrument.

He did give me a playful dig for not playing on any of his shows!!! It was my loss Gerry.<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ken Byng on 19 December 2006 at 01:06 PM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Always nice to see the Wing Commander in 'civvies'....

RR
Gerry Hogan

Post by Gerry Hogan »

Thank you so much: Ken, Jamie, Roger, Bobby, Earl, John and Terry - from a very surprised and flattered steeler! Thanks also to John Norris - our friend at Peterson Tuners - who kindly sent me an email with a link to this posting from Ken. I’ve been out all day and only just opened up my emails and, now, the Forum!

I met Ken again (after years and years!) at the super "Bluebird Pedal Steel Guitar Club" Christmas Party last evening. What a great show it was (all credit to Jim Pritchard), with wonderful steel playing from the likes of my friends Dave Hayward, Jimmy Gibson, Paul Mitchell, Mike Wrixton, Jim Pritchard, Bob Dixon and Dave Wheelhouse. But the most enjoyable thing for me was seeing, and chatting to, Ken after such a long time.

I remember Ken when he played a beautiful ZB back in the early '70s, when he was with an ahead-of-its-time (for the UK) country-rock band called "Redwood". Ken was an exceptionally gifted player and musician (he also played standard guitar). I found out much later that he taught Sarah Jory. What an amazing feather in his cap! Interestingly, there were several of Ken’s ex-pupils at the Bluebird Club last evening.

Perhaps, if Barbara and I ever run another “Festival” (as we are definitely / maybe contemplating (!) in late September 2007), Ken will come along and play this time. I really hope so.

Gerry
Gerry Hogan

Post by Gerry Hogan »

Thanks Basil! ... the sun comes shining through ... ! Image

Gerry
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

Gerry....I'm glad the forum is just now getting to "discovering" you! Tell Barbara not to let the hype go to your head. Image

Gerry is one of my favorite guys and also one of the greatest steel players on the planet!

This does'nt really capture that much of Gerry's magic, but here's a youtube clip of me and Mr. Hogan playing with Heather Myles at a show in Barcilona a few years back. (I'm the ugly guy on bass)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOX67a8TL5k

To look at the crowd, you'd think we were in San Bernadino. Ha.
Russ Hicks

Post by Russ Hicks »

Gerry Hogan.....Hero for sure but unsung....never. I'm happy to call him my friend and am very much looking forward to seeing him and Barbara in Oct/007, if not before.
rh
basilh

Post by basilh »

<SMALL>Perhaps, if Barbara and I ever run another “Festival” (as we are definitely / maybe contemplating (!) in late September 2007), Ken will come along and play this time. I really hope so.</SMALL>
As long as it doesn't clash with the Joliet Convention, Pat and I would most definitely come.
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

Gerry and Albert Lee ? now that would be something to listen to.
By the way Gerry, thank you for teaching Roger Rettig about country music. He has been a wonderful addition to our music here in the country. He also has been a tremendous help to me . Thanks for everything.

Old Bud
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

I did get to see Gerry and Albert Lee, at Newbury,
and it was a fun show.
I got to talk with them both,
though Gerry was busy as a 1 armed paper hanger.

And I got to jam with Gerry in Drogheda,
and had a fun time. A very friendly sort,
when he doesn't have 900 punters to keep
enertained, and 20,000 details bouncing in his brain!

Merry Christmas to all the Steelies.
(I even named my Rotweiler after y'all;
asianized : SteeLee)
Ad Kersten

Post by Ad Kersten »

I have never met Gerry personally Image but I did see AND hear him play at several Dutch Steel Guitar Meetings. Great player and very nice guy indeed. The Flintstone theme still lingers on in my mind.....

Ad

------------------
Zumsteel S12U
Yo, Man! homepage

Gerry Hogan

Post by Gerry Hogan »

Roger: That's very nice of you, but do try to remember that it's "Group" now, won't you? There's a good chap. Image Seriously, did you ever realise how nervous you used to make me when you came along to the "Fullers" gigs? I am so glad that you took up the steel guitar so we could become good friends.

Ken: You're very kind to call me a "gentleman" ... if only ...! But, yes, Gordon Huntley was my first hero, and I was lucky enough to play guitar in his dance-band, as well as he joining the country / rock 'n' roll band I was already in. Then, when he left the band, we had two U.S. servicemen, Larry Wilson (an excellent steeler, who played a Fender 1000) and Gerry Ford (a great Mooney-style player, whose Fender 400 I bought, when he was posted to Vietnam in 1966).

I was so lucky to have played with such great players during that time, even though I didn't have a steel myself; they educated my ear.

Rick: You are a seriously fine steel player and musician, who treated me very kindly when I first came, very nervously, for a rehearsal with Heather Myles in Nottingham in 2003. You were playing bass in the band, and just mentioned that you played "a bit of steel". If I had known what "a bit" meant, I'd have packed up and left.

BTW: when are you going to post some more of your wonderful a cappella recordings, like "Porkpie Hat"?

Russ: I know this is continually being written in various posts on this site, but here goes again - you and Laney are two of the nicest people anyone could ever meet. I hope it won't be too long before Barbara and I get to see you both again.

Basil: Thanks for your very kind offer - I'll certainly be in touch. I finally managed to get you to play at my final Festival in 2004. What a joy!

Willis: I'm so glad Roger has got his feet firmly "under the table" in the U.S.A. I do envy him being over there! We miss him not being over here! He was (STILL IS!) a good friend. He and I always had the same tastes in music - he educated me, and vice versa!

David: Thanks for your kind words! I loved "busy as a one-armed paper-hanger!". You colonials really have a way with words ... ! Image Yes, I remember the Drogheda jam: it was great fun. All the Drogheda Festivals have been super fun. Here's to many more where they came from!
I'm sure the British Steelies wish you, and everyone else on this absolutely amazing Forum a Merry Christmas and a very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year! (x for Steelee!).

I apologise for competing with "War and Peace" with this post, but I just had to express my gratitude to all my friends. Thanks again. Image

Gerry

Edited by me because I'm a cretin! GH<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Gerry Hogan on 22 December 2006 at 10:05 AM.]</p></FONT>
Gerry Hogan

Post by Gerry Hogan »

Ad: Thanks for your very kind posting! I used to really enjoy the Dutch Steelmeetings (Hans Gebben and then Hans de Jong really put on some great shows). What a shame they had to finish them.

I took a look at your super website and although, as you state, we have never met Image I now feel I know you well! I am humbled by the excellent written English on your site! I'd never in a million years be able to do the same in Dutch!

I have played in 's-Hertogenbosch with Gail Davies. I love saying that place-name ... or trying to! It's very difficult for we British!

I'd love to meet you if I'm ever over in your area. Please check www.albertleeandhogansheroes.com from time-to-time for the tour dates, and perhaps we'll be able to have a chat! I hope to see you!

Gerry
DeWitt Scott

Post by DeWitt Scott »

Hi Ken, you are so right about Gerry. He has many accomplishments he can be proud of and the most important one I know is that he and Barbara are two of the nicest people I ever met. He has got to be #1 in the UK and surrounding countries. He has played on the main stage of the International Steel Guitar Convention many times her in St. Louis. I played on Gerry's 1st show and his last show. And several in between in. Somehow, someday in the future, I feel that Gerry will do a steel guitar special show. He is so good at selecting the players and is an expert at making sure the audience (and the players) enjoy's themselves. Thanks for giving Gerry the credit he so well deserves. Scotty
Gerry Hogan

Post by Gerry Hogan »

Scotty, it's so good of you to put a post on this thread! I know how long and busy your day is and so, I appreciate your taking the time to do this! You, Mary, Dewitt, Mike and the rest of your amazing family have been an inspiration to The Hogans.

As you know, in its very small way, my Festival tried to emulate your magnificent Convention, and you always helped me try to achieve my aims. Do you remember November 1985 and the passport saga? Without the unbelievable effort you made, along with Buddy, to renew your passports at the 11th hour, the 2nd British Steel Guitar Festival would not have had its star attractions! But this is only one of the many kindnesses that you have shown me over the years. I am so grateful.
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

<SMALL>I apologise for competing with "War and Peace" with this post, but I just had to express my gratitude to all my friends.</SMALL>
Gerry - it's nice to have a little mutual "back slapping" occasionally as it makes a nice change from the flaming that goes on elsewhere. I think the comments that have been posted by your peers reflect the esteem that you are held in by many people.

Like you I used to play the Fullers circuit - the Nashville Rooms, Red Lion, Red Cow and a few others. If I recall we used to get £25.00 for a five piece band!! My band was playing at the Red Lion on one occasion and who should walk in was none other than Mr Albert Lee. Our lead guitarist suddenly went from a confident and very competant player to a mass of nerves who couldn't put two notes together. The only other player who had that effect on him was Adrian Legg. There were some tremendous players around that time, both on lead and steel.

I enjoyed the Country Fever band for the shortish time that the original line up was together. Later, the Barrett Bros were certainly enhanced by your presence in their line up. I know you have backed many top artists in your time, both European and from the States. Your web site doesn't even get anywhere near listing all of your accomplishments.

Scotty - you are another person who has done so much to promote the steel guitar over the years. You and Gerry are gems.
Dave Wheelhouse

Post by Dave Wheelhouse »

I'd just like to add an 'amen' to all the above praise that is so richly deserved for you Gerry. You, like Ken have been an inspiration to all us minions of the P.S.G. I SALUTE YOU ! BTW Gerry, please let me know if you do put on that show in September 2007 (can't wait). A MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and your's. Dave Wheelhouse. ps as soon as I was told that you and Ken were in the audiance I had instant sweaty palms, frightend, I was terrified, But seriously, I'm pleased that you enjoyed the show and I feel honored to have been able to play in your presance.
Dave Wheelhouse

Post by Dave Wheelhouse »

I'd just like to add an 'amen' to all the above praise that is so richly deserved for you Gerry. You, like Ken have been an inspiration to all us minions of the P.S.G. I SALUTE YOU ! BTW Gerry, please let me know if you do put on that show in September 2007 (can't wait). A MERRY CHRISTMAS & A HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and your's. Dave Wheelhouse. ps as soon as I was told that you and Ken were in the audiance I had instant sweaty palms, frightend, I was terrified, But seriously, I'm pleased that you enjoyed the show and I feel honored to have been able to play in your presance.