Joe Savage on Midwest Country

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Billy Wilson

Joe Savage on Midwest Country

Post by Billy Wilson »

You guys ever catch him on this show on the RFD network? This is for folks who are tired of TV shows with one or two notes of PSG in 'em. This guy is all over the steel and with all the artists. I hope they're planning to have these guys on often. Nice to be able to turn on the set and get an hour of great pedal steel playing.
David Biggers

Post by David Biggers »

Its great Porter and Dolly, Wilburn Bros., Heart to Heart, Branson Jam and Midwest country. Who is the steel man playing for them. The lead man is great also!!!!
Jennings Ward

Post by Jennings Ward »

MY BUDDIE JOE IS ONE OF THE BEST, AND ONE HELL OF A NICE GUY..... RFDTV HAS NOT AIRED MIDWEST COUNTRY FOR A FEW WEEKS... I SURE MISS JOE AND LEROY....BRING BACK MIDWEST COUNTRY....PLEASE.............
JENNINGS

------------------
EMMONS D10 10-10 profex 2 deltafex ne1000 pv1000, pv 31 bd eq, + D'ANGELICO
N. 400

Danny Letz

Post by Danny Letz »

Jennings, RFD TV was reshowing the Sat. nite Midwest Country on Tuesday morning at about 6;00 Am CST. They are showing some goofy Branson show in it's place on Sat. night, but they still show Midwest Country Tuesday Morn.
Joe Savage

Post by Joe Savage »

http://www.midwestcountry.com/tvshow.htm
Hey guys. Thanks. The show will be back on Saturday nights in 2007.
Happy Holidays to y'all!!
Joe
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Joe, 2007 is just way to long to wait!! I want to hear that Zum again before 2007. I am glad it is coming back though and I was wondering if they had taken it off for good. Branson is "ok", but it just ain't Joe.
Wally
Calvin Walley

Post by Calvin Walley »

Joe, i love to watch and listen to you play
it's steel guitar the way steel was meant to be

------------------
Mullen SD-10 3&5 / nashville 400
Hilton volume pedal

Bernie Gonyea

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

Hey All you down to earth steel players and listeners:
I agree with each of your comments about hearing & watching Joe Savage on MidWest Country show on RFD/TV.
glad to hear that the show will be back in 2007 and that we can watch it now on Tues. mornings.I've been a fan of Joe's from the first time I heard him; and LeRoy also does a fabulous job on lead. Keep up the good work, Joe..
David Biggers

Post by David Biggers »

Sorry Joe
I remember your name now from the credits
Great job and yes we miss Midwest Country.
I was watching the Aussie on your show and when you kick off the steel break he was in total awl. He almost miss his lead in.
It was really great and maybe the best compliment a player can get. To hear it from your wife is one thing but to hear it or see it from another good musician is huge! Thanks for the great job and Merry Christmas. Please come to the Dallas Convention I would love to meet you.
David Biggers
Farris Currie

Post by Farris Currie »

WOW, I JUST STUMBLED OVER THIS

YOU BET, i been missing JOE very much on sat
nights!!~!~~~~~

Joe i hope you have a great CHRISTMAS BRO.

farris
Joe Savage

Post by Joe Savage »

Seems like alot of people have been missing the show on Saturday nights. They've had hundreds of emails at the theater and at RFD.
It'll be back on in January. That's right around the corner. How've ya been Farris? Jennings?... Wally, did you get my email with the photos?
Merry Christmas, all you guys. Blessings to you all.
Joe
Ted Solesky

Post by Ted Solesky »

Joe, I'm glad to hear that the show will be continuing. There's not a whole lot of country music being shown on Tv anymore, especially where the steel is featured. Keep up the good work.
Tom Harris

Post by Tom Harris »

Saw "Mid-West Country",,not to long back on " R F D ",Justin Trevino was on there,plus Leona Williams,and her son,man,,what a show,Justin plays the kind of music I like,and Johnny Cox was awesome on the steel,,its good to be able to see a "Sho Nuff" country show,,with the fiddle ,,steel,,and lead guitar getting a break,,and I dont think Joe Savage,has ever had a bad night lol,,his licks is on time,every time,,,patiently waiting till "Mid-West" comes back on....
Tom Harris
Carroll Hale

Post by Carroll Hale »

joe is a great steel player..........personally..I like to hear him play his dobro...which is not often....please joe...get that thing out more often......I have been playing about a year...love it...wished I had played years ago....oh well...gotta lot of catching up to do...so get on midwest country and play..play..play...
thanks for all those good old songs.
ch
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Hey Joe,
Yeah Buddy, I got the pictures, lots of them. What we are talking about guys, is that although it goes without saying that Joe Savage is a great and talented musician, what you may not know, is that also is an artist with porcupine quills. He decorates items including clothing with quills that are in the tradition of the Native Americans in his area and that he is also a tribe member. As he stated, before Europeans bought beads to the Native Americans, they used to decorate their belongings with porcupine quills and Joe has mastered this artistic skill. The results are absolutely stunning and I think he should post some pictures of his work. However, he is a modest man and the choice is up to him.
Nice work Joe, both in your musical abilities and your artistic Native American craftwork.

Wally Taylor
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

He plays the harmonica very nicely too.
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Yeah, forgot about the harmonica. Wonder he sings also? Hey Joe, do you sing too? Do you whistle while you work? Tell us all your secrets Joe, the whole world is waiting!

Wally
Joe Savage

Post by Joe Savage »

You wanna know about the banjo, ukulele and the musical saw?? Image
Dennis Atkins

Post by Dennis Atkins »

I can tell you all some stories about Joe, but then I'll have to hurt you.

Honestly, Joe is one of our finest players in Minnesota, and he deserves all the praise that you guys give him.

Yes, he does sing, and I get to hear him a few times each month on Monday nights in Minneapolis. The band he is with on Monday's is Becky Thompson and Old School, and they are a great band. Joe does the old Stonewall Jackson tune, I Washed My Hands in Muddy Water, Hank Williams, I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, and some others. He has a great blues quality to his vocals, and does a mean Sixteen Tons.

Dennis

------------------
MSA S-10 Sidekick
Gorilla Amp with Digitech RP100 Processor
pedalman@msn.com
http://www.freewebs.com/pedalman

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Dennis Atkins on 08 December 2006 at 04:08 PM.]</p></FONT>
Wally Taylor

Post by Wally Taylor »

Did Joe say, "banjo"? Your a brave man Joe! Listen man, you just gotta cut a cd and be sure you play all the instruments listed on the cd. I will sure by a copy! I heard you even sang! Is there not end to your talents??? Next thing we know, you will also be playing lead guitar and Leroy will be looking for work. Just kidding Leroy. Joe, I think you have more fans than you thought you did.
Anybody else want a cd from Joe??

Wally
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Joe...more C6th instrumentals please!
Bernie Gonyea

Post by Bernie Gonyea »

Yes, Joe, I know you have more friends than you can shake a stick at; there are many folks whom love the vintage and older C/W songs . Reminds me of my days in playing; the 50's,60's & 70's.I agree about hearing Joe do more tunes, on the dobro. And I am putting in my request for him to sing, on an early show, in Jan-2007.I'd love to hear him sing Hank's " I'm so Lonesome, I Could Cry" Thanks a Million, Joe.. & a merry Xmas to you and all the other Steel guitar Forum members; Bernie
Joe Savage

Post by Joe Savage »

Geez....you guys are warming the cockles of my heart, (if, indeed, the heart really has cockles.) Image Thanks for the encouragement. I've been threatening to record a CD for years now, maybe this is the nudge I need.
The band Dennis mentioned is currently working on a disc. We'll be done with it early in '07. Some great stuff with a super Tele twanger guitar player and wonderful vocals.
As far as my own thing goes, this gives me a good idea what to get done, although I've got a good start on some stuff here at home,
but it's not country in the classic sense.
Mostly acoustic steels and some lap steel stuff, but there's harmonica and old time clawhammer banjo mixed in, too. Maybe when it's all said and done, I'll have enough for 2 CD's. I'll work on that beautiful duet with pedal steel with an ebow and the musical saw!!! Just kiddin'.
There's a big learning curve working with the ProTools, so it takes alot of extra time. Excuses, excuses........anyhoo, I appreciate you guys and will take all your suggestions to heart, for the show and otherwise. Now, if I ever decorate a pedal steel with porcupine quillwork, I'll post some pics. Image
Joe

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Joe Savage on 08 December 2006 at 09:40 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dave A. Burley

Post by Dave A. Burley »

Great show with lot's of new, unknown and known artists. The band is always good. Only problem I have with the show is that I like to tape it and being a poor man, I don't have one of those automatic things. I have to watch and tape it around 5 or 6 in the morning. Good picking is worth it though.
Dave Burley
Steve Pacholl

Post by Steve Pacholl »

Well, I have to throw my two cents in and continue to embarrass Joe with kind words. I've known Joe for a few years now and was fortunate to have him play solo steel at my wedding this past Sept. Of course Joe did a great job and I got tons of great comments from the guests who had never heard solo steel at a wedding. During the reception Joe then sat in the Kevin Lange's Mississippi Drifter's for a set. Also a lot of great comments about Kevin's bend. It was a great evening. Our photographer got a great shot of one of Joe's famous facial expressions.