Old standards.......any one still play them?

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ray Montee

Old standards.......any one still play them?

Post by Ray Montee »

Some of the old standards are still some of the best......not everything started in 1980.

"SOUTH" is just such a tune........twin guitars and all. Want to give a listen?
Go to: http://www.jerrybyrdfanclub.com/
Billy Wilson

Post by Billy Wilson »

I dont kow if I can but I sure do!
Perry Keeter

Post by Perry Keeter »

There is a band called the "California Rangers" that plays every Friday evening at McCabes in Oceanside, Ca. They play mostly old standard classic country from Hank WIlliams, Ray Price to Buck Owens etc. If you live in So Cal, it is worth the trip. Rick Schmidt is the steel player most nights. Jim Palenscar sits in on steel from time to time. Great stuff, I will be heading back over there in a couple of weeks myself.
Billy Carr
Restricted

Post by Billy Carr »

That's about the only real music that's left. Packs a dancefloor every time.
Smiley Roberts

Post by Smiley Roberts »

Our guitar player,Dennis Payne,says our music is rated "PG"...Pre-Garth,although Garth's 1st album,on Capitol,was pretty Country. George Strait is as 'bout as "new Country" as we get.

------------------
<font face="monospace" size="3"><pre> ~ ~
©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.</pre></font>

c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

I am fortunate that in the three bands I play in I play 1/2 dz or more in a 2 hr gig. Deep purple, stardust, moments to remember,etc. When I do my own gigs with trax its mostly pop stds. CC
Tony Davis

Post by Tony Davis »

Hey Smiley !!..well Dennis Payne is pretty good...makes good background music..as does his band..while we all ignore them and play pool in Sputnicks...that is untill one of the Waitresses...I think her name is Della Bustamante..gets up and sings a song......that brings a lot of attention to the band...then that guy with moustache and glasses who kind of sits there beind his knitting machine and doesnt do much all night..then suddenly gets up and sings something like Kansas city....by then we had a few drinks but I am sure I saw Smiley doing the Michael Jackson Moonwalk as he sang Kansas City
Ernie Pollock

Post by Ernie Pollock »

If 'Stardust' & 'Misty' count, I guess I am in there!!

Ernie Image http://www.hereintown.net/~shobud75/stock.htm

------------------
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Hey Ray -
"South" is definitely one of the great old standards, and many thanks for posting it.
Do you know names of other players on this oldie? Piano player sounds somewhat like Del Wood.
Hope you'll continue posting these oldies.

Dave Clark
Jim Harper

Post by Jim Harper »

Ray how about Twinkle Twinkle Little Star,Beaumont Rag,Milk Cow Blue.s. We play these every week==Jim Harper
Roy Ayres

Post by Roy Ayres »

Ray,

Are "Red River Valley" and "My Darling, Clementine" old enough to count? Those are the newest ones I know.

------------------
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR=BLACK><P ALIGN=left>Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

Ken Thompson

Post by Ken Thompson »

From Jones to Poison. Crazy Arms, Heartaches by the Number, Act Naturally, Loves Gonna Live Here, Together Again, just to name a few that are played nearly every night. Typically before 11:00 pm. After that anything goes.
Tim Jones of Kansas

Post by Tim Jones of Kansas »

Old standards are.....standard....for me. Thats all I ever play. Most of the stuff before 1970. And DEFINITELY lotsa western swing and 1950's country. I do all the old Hank songs, Ray Price, Webb Pierce, Bob Wills, Ernest Tubb, Faron Young....etc.

I stick to the old stuff, cause in my terribly biased opinion, its the best of the best.

Tim Jones
~)A Fender 1000 and Nothin' else.(~
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

I will never understand why old is more attractive than new. I will never understand why 4 demented or augmolished chords vs one or two notes or chords are the cat's meow.

Don't anyone answer this, it is just me.

I think some folks get stuck in time, as if time stopped in 1952. What about all of the music and steel that took place since 1952, does it not have any validity at all?

Ray we missed you at the Canby jam, next time for sure.

Larry Behm
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

I love "South", what a great tune!

Bennie Moten at redhotjazz.com

cheers,
Drew

------------------
<font size=1>Drew Howard - website - Fessenden guitars, 70's Fender Twin, etc.</font>

Robert Thomas

Post by Robert Thomas »

Larry when does the Canby Jam occur and is anyone invited?
Larry Behm

Post by Larry Behm »

Robert it was a month ago, all of the doors are always open. We do not have them very often, but as the guys are getting older they asked me to have them more often. Maybe once or twice a years. We will see. Like all jams around the country we have a great time and play some great "old country music".

Larry Behm
Joe Miraglia

Post by Joe Miraglia »

I love to listen and play the old standard tunes. But up here in New York State they don't go over too well with a country band. Those type of tunes are liked better with a lounge band rather than a country band--sax, piano, etc. Seems like the only people who like to hear the old standards on steel guitar are steel guitar players with the exception of SLEEPWALK. People tend to associate music with the type of instrumentation. I think a lot of steel players also do that--how many of us say "If it doesn't have a fiddle or a steel guitar, it isn't country"? A few years back, Buddy Emmons toured the area with the Everly Brothers. Buddy and the band cut loose on an old standard jazz number. As usual, he was as hot as ever. Who got the largest applause?? The piano player--can you beat that!!! Joe
George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

Stardust, Pennies from heaven, The Cozy Inn, Dorcy's Theme song, In the nude..oop's i mean mood, Cab Driver, sentimental journey, Autumn leaves,My blue heaven, Peg of my heart..is a great great song for C6th..voicings are so close...nice little tune that just packs the dance floor..also a simple song like "You are my sunshine my only sunshine" can be a nice little song when you add a nice arrangement to it. Those old songs are great music..a long lost forgotten art..i love the old standards...and just think..i'm just a baby boomer youngster.....

------------------
Whitney Single 12 8FL & 5 KN,keyless, dual changers Extended C6th, Webb Amp, Line6 PodXT, Goodrich Curly Chalker Volume Pedal, Match Bro, BJS Bar, Boyette Glass Bar, Carvin Guitars, & Amplification, and other neat stuff, and a 165 Pound Great Pyrenees..
I was keyless, when keyless wasn't cool...

George Redmon

Post by George Redmon »

oop's..i just wanted to say that i really enjoy Herb Alpert, and the Tijuana Brass music as well..their song Tijuana Taxi is a real nice tune, and not that difficult to do a pretty good job on it...just fun music to sit down and take a stab at. Incidentally, this is a good tune to practice your single notes with. You gotta pick that bar up, and move it..not slide it..gotta love it!<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by George Redmon on 17 May 2006 at 02:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Willis Vanderberg

Post by Willis Vanderberg »

I don't know if these qualify..I do, My Happiness, Now is the hour, Somewhere over the rainbow,Red Sails in the sunset,Walking my baby back home, Dream, Cry, Whispering and a few more.

Old Bud<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Willis Vanderberg on 17 May 2006 at 07:26 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ernest Cawby

Post by Ernest Cawby »

South, coconut grove, smoke gets in your eyes, sunny side of the street, in the mood,
farewewll party, faded love, play these and fill the floor.

ernie
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

If I want to learn something I never played before, I still look up old standards, because; not a whole lot of the newest stuff appeals to me! [Especially in the Country Vein!]

------------------
“Big John”
a.k.a. {Keoni Nui}
Current Equipment
basilh

Post by basilh »

<SMALL>Old standards.......any one still play them?</SMALL>
I would take it that Ray means "Country" standards, If on the other hand he means "Standards, then Pat and I and the Waikiki Islanders have ALWAYS played at least 33% standards in our sets.

This is the type of thing we did when we had just turned 21 (Pat and I are both the same age) :-
Body and Soul

A Little on the Lonely Side <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by basilh on 20 May 2006 at 12:12 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dale Granstrom

Post by Dale Granstrom »

Hi Ray,
I play "South", when ever I play which is about once a month just down the street from where you live. We do several of the old standards. You aught to come see us some time.
Dale.