About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Megan Morrison

Post by Megan Morrison »

Greetings! My name is Megan Morrison, I'm 25 years old and just moved to Nashville about 2 months ago and am loving it. I've been playing pedal steel for around 6 months and even though I play a couple of other instruments, I'm in love with the steel guitar the most. I lived in Evansville, IN for a short time and that's where I bought my Carter Starter from Bud Hall who is amazing teacher. My Starter stays in tune really well and I like the tone a lot. I'm still very "green" obviously, but trying to soak up as much wonderful knowledge on this website as I can. Thanks for having me!
Donald Jeunette

Post by Donald Jeunette »

Welcome, You will be i good hands here. I love this site and the people here are the best in the world. I was raised in Indiana South Bend. I didn't know that Ind. still existed.LOL Been in AZ so long my brain is cooked (baked)

------------------
Mullen 8+5 and Nashville 1000, Nashville 112,Hilton Foot Pedal, DD3, Peterson II Tuner and Black Box
"RETIRED AND STEELIN ALL I CAN"
"The Steel Guitar puts the Purdy in Country Music"

Joy Wofford

Post by Joy Wofford »

Hi Megan, welcome! It's always nice to "see" another gal onboard. This is absolutely the best place and the nicest folks on the internet....not just for learning and talking about steel, but for friends and support. Everyone just makes you feel right at home.

Joy
Larry Strawn

Post by Larry Strawn »

Hi Megan,,

Welcome to this world of Steel Guitar Junkies!!! LOL..

Larry

------------------
Emmons S/D-10, 3/5, Sessions 400 Ltd. Home Grown E/F Rack
"ROCKIN COUNTRY"

Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Welcome. I'm a Starter player for about six months too, and mine's great. (you can hear it here at http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum15/HTML/010619.html if you like).
Lots of good mentors here; they care about how you do.
Les Anderson

Post by Les Anderson »

Welcome Megan. You are going to gain nothing but good things on this forum.

Being that you already play a couple of other instruments, you should progress quite rapidly with your steel guitar. Just remember, no one ever gets so good that they never have to work on the basics of playing music.

ImageWelcome. Image

------------------
(I am not right all of the time but I sure like to think I am!)

Brett Day

Post by Brett Day »

Welcome aboard, Megan. Here, you will learn a lot about steel guitar and steel guitarists. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel, GFI Ultra D-10
Megan Morrison

Post by Megan Morrison »

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome, everyone here is so friendly and really helpful, it's amazing! And Les, I think I know what you're talking about- I feel that anything I know about other instruments helps me a little, but pedal steel is still so different - a whole new world. Hammering away at the basics is key, I try not to get ahead of myself or I'll just end up frustrated. Thanks again for the kind (and wise)words and I look forward to getting to know all of you! Image
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Welcome Megan!
Hook

------------------
www.HookMoore.com
James Morehead

Post by James Morehead »

Welcome Megan, Glad to see you here. Glad to have the ladies getting into steel. Wish more would pick up steel.
Dale Bessant

Post by Dale Bessant »

Welcome to this great home..yes your right Megan it is a great instrument to play, keep at, and once again welcome. Image
JW Day

Post by JW Day »

welcome megan, although we don't know each other, we have something in common. I too took lessons from Bud in 1976. I'll have to agree with you on his teaching skills. Please don't tell him I said this though, it might give him the big head.Just kidding, we have remained dear friends over the years and spent many of hours quail hunting.Gosh I just thought of something,76 till now, ole' Buds getting old
Rich Jackson

Post by Rich Jackson »

Welcome to the coolest Steel guitar site ever! I look forward to your posting. Rich Image

------------------
Emmons LeGrande III 2005
And a GFI, Nashville 1000,
Dan Electro effects
In the group "By the Cross"

Luke Morell

Post by Luke Morell »

Welcome Megan, you're going to enjoy it.
Bryan Knox

Post by Bryan Knox »

Welcome from sweet home Alabama. Image

Bryan

------------------
Help prevent juvenile delinquency...teach children to STEEL

CrowBear Schmitt

Post by CrowBear Schmitt »

Welcome to this Great Forum Megan from the Pyrenees Image
don't be bashfull, jump on in & ask all the questions you may have
you'll always get answers here
David L. Donald

Post by David L. Donald »

Megan, welcome to this whacky land of
lovable misfits, and mistfit lovables.

None of us can be too normal
and be so dedicated to the steel guitar in this way.

It's nice to see another lady in here,
but also someone in your age bracket too.
It gives us hope the instrument will still live on.

Gooid luck in the woodshed, and Nashville too.
Chuck Hall

Post by Chuck Hall »

Welcome Megan. Get a "cup o joe" drag up a chair and stay a while.
Megan Morrison

Post by Megan Morrison »

There really are people from everywhere on this site, it's great! I think there is definately a huge interest developing in my generation for the steel guitar, and I don't see it going away anytime soon. I guess a lot of that probably comes from younger people discovering traditional, classic country - however you would describe it - Hank Williams, George Jones, Roy Acuff, Patsy Cline and all the other greats (too many to name!) I know my teacher Bud had told me when he was young and just starting out that a lot of steel players were extremely secretive with their style and set-up, but now it's great to see everyone sharing information and tips. There's so much to learn, I feel very lucky to be in this kind of company.
Yeah JW, Bud is the real deal. I still keep in touch with him, I'm driving back to Evansville this month to visit so I'm definately stopping by his place to say hello. He was one of the nicest people I met in that town, and not only taught me the basics but also told me a lot of cool stories about steel guitar history and it's players. He'll get a kick when I tell him I ran into you on here. Thanks again everyone for such a warm welcome. Image
Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Who says Steel is dead? Image

Great to have you on the Forum, but be careful, it can be sort of an addiction! Image

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.ausriansteelguitar.at.tf <font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Walter Stettner on 04 November 2005 at 01:41 PM.]</p></FONT>
Linda Reed

Post by Linda Reed »

Welcome Megan to the Forum and Nashville. Trying to learn to play non-pedal steel, since I went to St Louis, Labor Day weekend. You can get hooked on the Steel Guitar. I just got my Fender D8 Stringmaster today. I had been playing (trying) a 46 Gibson LapSteel. My husband plays pedal steel. He started the NTSGA. (North Tennessee Steel Guitar Assoc.)

Once again nice to have you on board.
Linda Reed Fender D8 Stringmaster

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Linda Reed on 04 November 2005 at 02:20 PM.]</p></FONT>
Bob Carlucci

Post by Bob Carlucci »

Ahh,, don't listen to these maniacs Megan.. bunch of nuts...Pedal Steel is bad for you... makes you crazy!!... hey hon, where's the Prozac??.... Image... welcome aboard Megan!... bob<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bob Carlucci on 04 November 2005 at 07:42 PM.]</p></FONT>
Billy Carr
Restricted

Post by Billy Carr »

Welcome to the world of Psg. Everythings here from different opinions on allen wrenches to string gauges. Lots and lots of info for anyone that likes steel guitars. Pedal or non-pedal. I'm also a CARTER player myself. S-12U w/ 9 & 5.
J Hill

Post by J Hill »

Welcome, Megan! Its SOOO good to have another gal around here! The fellows around here are super nice but watch out because a couple of them are just plain crazy! You'll recognize one because he seems to always be looking around for a Steel Guitar Possum Princess or some such thing, so beware. Image

This forum is great...just anything you want to know you can do a search on in previous discussions or just ask new questions. These guys know everything! Enjoy your new hobby!
Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Welcome Megan,From Alabama.