Steeler With Floyd Tillman

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Lee Baucum

Steeler With Floyd Tillman

Post by Lee Baucum »

Who played steel on Floyd Tillman's old recordings? A friend said it sounded a bit like Bob Dunn.

Lee, from South Texas
Bobby Bowman

Post by Bobby Bowman »

Brother Lee,
Early on, in the 40's and some of the early 50's it was J. D. Stanley. Then around '53 or so, I'm pretty sure that Herb Remington did most, if not all, of the Tillman sessions.
BB

------------------
If you play 'em, play 'em good!
If you build 'em, build 'em good!

billchav

Post by billchav »

Lee, Herb has a tribute album titled Herb Remington istruementally Salutes Floyd Tillman. Great listening. Bill www.billchaviers.com <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by billchav on 10 February 2005 at 09:16 PM.]</p></FONT>
Dr. Hugh Jeffreys

Post by Dr. Hugh Jeffreys »

I believe it was Herb. At the time I was playing steel with Richard Prine and the All Stars in Beaumont, Tx. Richard and Buck Henson (Bass) had been on the road with Bob Wills. We played at Club Forest in Beaumont 6 nights/wk and had a daily radio show. I replaced Deacon Anderson who was enjoying great success with his song, Rag Mop. Richard wrote a number of hits too: When You're Near Me, recorded by Jo Stafford. ---j---
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

Deacon Evans and Frankie Jurasek could possibly be on some of the records. Deacon was in Floyd's band at one time. Jody.
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Mr Tillman sure was a song writer DELUXE..
Hook

------------------
HookMoore.com
Allen Moore

Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

Obviously a guy who recorded for the better part of a century worked with a lot of steelers. Which era, or recordings, were you specifically interested in?

The early Decca stuff (1940-41) has Bob Dunn and Ernest "Deacon" Evans playing like Dunn.

The big hits on Columbia that established him like "Slippin' Around" all feature J.D. Standlee. J.D. died in 1951 and is not very well remembered today.

The later Columbias (1950-54) feature Herb Remington.

There were a lot more after that.
Andrew Brown

Post by Andrew Brown »

"At the time I was playing steel with Richard Prine and the All Stars in Beaumont, Tx. Richard and Buck Henson (Bass) had been on the road with Bob Wills. We played at Club Forest in Beaumont 6 nights/wk and had a daily radio show. I replaced Deacon Anderson who was enjoying great success with his song, Rag Mop."

Wow, could you tell us more about that? Who was on fiddle? Cotton Thompson or Robert Shivers maybe? Did you work with any other groups in the Beaumont/Pt Arthur area during this period???
Willard Palmer

Post by Willard Palmer »

My father worked with Floyd Tillman during WW II. Dad was in the Army Air Corps at Randolph Field. He played accordion and trumpet with the band. I don't know if he was on any of the recordings, though.
Erv Niehaus

Post by Erv Niehaus »

Floyd Tillman had a unique style. :D
Erv