buying picks

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jonathan Stephens III

buying picks

Post by Jonathan Stephens III »

i live in upstate new york and none of the local music stores sell the correct finger picks. i've seen a few places on the net but i am unsure of there reputation. can anyone direct me to a place where i can order some finger picks along with other items...thanks
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Welcome Johnathan, www.steelguitar.net should have what you need! Many of us here will recomend this store and its owner Bobbe Seymour for all things steel. And once again,welcome to the best site on the web!!

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII, Pro III custom,
Nash 400,Hilton pedal,Tut Taylor "Virginian"

Frank McBride

Post by Frank McBride »

The best that I have found as far as price is Herby Wallace.or on your PC go to[HERBY WALLACE]The phone number is 865-453-2973
Gary Jones

Post by Gary Jones »

While I also can recommend Bobbe Seymour's shop, I would also like to say that Elderly Instruments, at http://www.elderly.com/ has the best selection of finger and thumb picks that I have ever seen. I've ordered from them on-line several times, and their service has always been excellent.

Gary Jones
Fessenden SD-12/U
Bunch of cheap guitars
Big ol' pile of half-rebuilt amplifiers.

Edited for splelling<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Gary Jones on 04 December 2004 at 08:27 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Herrick

Post by Mark Herrick »

I think Herby Wallace sells "Showcase '41s" which are great fingerpicks. Seems like you should be able to find thumb picks pretty easily. Try some Fred Kelly speed picks.

------------------

Chris Lasher

Post by Chris Lasher »

Hi Jonathan. I've experienced the same problem here in Athens--nobody stocks anything but generic thumbpicks and fingerpicks, so I took to the net.

I will also vouch that Elderly instruments is a great place to get picks. I ordered 2 of every kind of Propik and a variety of thumbpicks and am going through them to see what works best for me with pleased results. I think this is an excellent investment. Currently I am favoring the Propik L-10 thumbpick and Propik large reso picks (brass for pointer and nickel for middle, á la Jerry Douglas) for dobro, and the blue Herco thumbpicks (used by Tommy White and--the way I found them--by Randle Currie, and I'm sure among others here on this forum) and the nickel Propik #1s for Pedal steel. I have to say that the Propik picks have to be the most comfortable I've gotten the chance to try. They've really made me enjoy wearing picks, and I used to hate to do it, coming from a fingerstyle guitarist background.

I'll give you the caveat that Elderly's website is not always up-to-date with what they actually have in stock, and they don't always know exactly what they have in stock until they try to complete your order. My last order had quite several days' delay between when they charged my credit card and when they shipped, however, they were courteous on the phone. You may want to try placing your order by phone if there are items you definitely want to make sure you will get right away when you order. Once they did ship the package, it took hardly any time to get all the way here to Athens. I plan to continue doing business with Elderly, if that's worth anything to your decision.

Good luck; happy pick hunting.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Chris Lasher on 04 December 2004 at 08:39 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jonathan Stephens III

Post by Jonathan Stephens III »

thanks for the many replies. my next question inwhich i have to ask is i don't understand the sizes for the fingerpicks. i myself am a big guy with big fingers, so i would need a big finger pick. also my son who is five years old would need a small finger pick. thanks<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jonathan Stephens III on 05 December 2004 at 06:17 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ron Randall

Post by Ron Randall »

Jonathan
To my knowledge finger picks do not come in sizes like small, medium and large. They are meant to be bent and shaped to your fingers.

There are many styles out there. Elderly Instruments has a variety of styles. Dunlop makes finger picks of different gauges. That is, some are thinner than others. .025 is about the thickest, and I think they go down to 0.018. The thinner ones have a softer touch. Also have choices in brass, softer touch again.
Kyser, Showcase 41, Dunlop, and Jeffran cover a lot of ground.

Thumbpicks for most players are plastic and come in sizes like small medium and large. Different thicknesses and "snap".

Buy a few at a time and try them. Soon you will have a pile like I do! ha

Hope this helps.

Ron
Chris Lasher

Post by Chris Lasher »

Ron, please see for yourself. Propik does make different sized picks, though not for all models.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Chris Lasher on 07 December 2004 at 03:01 PM.]</p></FONT>