John Budasio

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Scott Denniston

John Budasio

Post by Scott Denniston »

Anyone know if John is still in the LA area? He's a great player/teacher who launched many a steel player in the '70s. I'd like to get to wherever he might be playing.
Chris Brooks

Post by Chris Brooks »

Scott, I inquired about John Bidasio (correct spelling, I think) too a couple of years ago but got no definite answers.

He got me started on steel about 1972 when he taught at Valley Arts. I wish he were on the Forum so we could express our thanks!

Maybe he is lurking ... still got your ZB, John?

Chris

------------------
now living in the Ocean State ....

chas smith

Post by chas smith »

I took a few lessons from him also, at end of the '70s. He played a P/P and had the classic "glassy sound".
Scott Denniston

Hi Chris, I learned from John at Valley Arts too in about '78. I talked with Blackie Taylor a bunch of years ago and he didn't think John was teaching anymore because he was so busy with studio work. I imagine he's playing somewhere though. My job gets me around the country quite a bit so maybe I'll pop in on him sometime. He was originally from Oklahoma.
Rick Schmidt

Post by Rick Schmidt »

It kinda suprises me that John isnt part of this forum. In the Valley Arts days, he would've been the first guy here. Wonder if he's just lurking?
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

He had a pretty good instruction book. The only one I know that covered Chromatic Scales for PSG.

Scott Denniston

Well I entered his name into Google and it came up with a sound production/entertainment type company that he co-founded in Burbank,CA in '86. The article was dated '96 and he was quoted as saying it's a fast growing business. Best of wishes to him! He's still very much appreciated here.- Scott
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

I took some lessons from him too, back in 1980.

I saw him 6 or 7 years ago, and got the impression that he was so busy with his production company, he had pretty much lost interest in the steel and stopped playing altogether.
Scott Denniston

Hi there Mike. I still haven't gotten a start on that C6 course you sent me over a year ago. I've just not been home enough to focus on anything. That'll change in a few months now though. Thanks again.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

I talked to John recently, don't know him very well but I really enjoyed our conversation. He isn't playing now but is totally engrossed in his movie production business.
Yes, he sounded like he is doing VERY well. I have the Sho-Bud Super Pro II that he played in the Movie "Rhinestone" with Dolly Partin and Sylvester Stellone. This is what promted our nice , first and last, conversation. This is the first Super Pro II built, six more followed before the end on the production of this flagship of the Sho-Bud line of guitars. It was a very interesting story about how John ended up being the first person to get the guitar, (the fact that he promised to play it in the movie is what prompted Sho-Bud to get it to him he said!)
He sure seems like a great guy, "Valley Arts" will miss him, I'm sure.
bobbe <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 18 April 2004 at 06:46 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

<SMALL>"Valley Arts" will miss him</SMALL>
Bobbe, Valley Arts guitar center no longer exists.

The store was destroyed in an arson fire that was set in a neighboring store. The person convicted of setting the fire was of all things, an arson investigater for the Glendale fire department named John Orr. It's kind of a famous case out here in California, and there was even a movie about it starring Ray Liotta.

The store itself was a great place. Not only was it the steel guitar capital of L.A., but it was one of the best guitar stores in the area too.

I speak for many when I say I miss it.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Mike , I thank you very much for this information. Valley Arts was pretty well known the world over. This sounds like a very interesting arson story. Not being a Ray I. fan, I see why I missed the news. This forum is a great place to get information like we just got from you. John didn't mention the loss of this great music store when we talked, I guess we had to much other ground to cover.
Thank you again Mike.
bobbe
Ron Bodle

Post by Ron Bodle »

I was introduced to John by Red Rhodes in the early Eighties. I took some lessons from John and really enjoyed his teaching and playing.

------------------
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

Looks like we need to get John Budasio back into steel guitar, seems like he has touched many players with his great talent and personality. We need great people like him to stay with us. How 'bout it John? Forget all that big money! We like and need you!
bobbe
Ben Elder

Post by Ben Elder »

I worked for 11 years part-time at a bluegrass-oriented music store in the San Fernando Valley. We were always

>YOW! sorry...twin '30s Tricones on ANTIQUES ROADSHOW just now...<

beset by requests for information who either sold or taught pedal steel in the L.A. area. While there was rumor of a wizard 70 miles east in the mists of Riverside County named Blackie Taylor, the name more often heard as the man to talk to was "John Bidasio." He, too was elusive at least as far as trying to find him within the local steel guitar realm. (I usually just directed callers seeking instruction to pro players I knew, hoping there'd be a referral to a teacher somewhere down the line.)

One day, the phone at the store rings (and I forget why or whom he was calling) and it's John Bidasio. I immediately and breathlessly told him of all the pedal steel info customers and callers had been requesting and how we'd been trying to find him, etcetcetec.

He said something to the effect that he was out of any endeavors relating to pedal steel and didn't-particularly-care-to-engage-the-topic-May-I-now-speak-to-(whomever he was calling)...

And now, if there is anyone other than Blackie Taylor over thar in West Palm Springs/Roubiside/Riverdoux who sells and teaches pedal steel in this backwater cultural void of 15 million people (clinically and paradoxically known to geographers and demographers as Greater LA), I don't know of him or her. (SoCal area psguitarists: disabuse me of this ignorance. Although I first have to overcome the huge obstacle of adjusting a ZB to even boderline playability, I need an instructor to transport me beyond my beginner status of a generation's duration.)

Mike Perlowin

Post by Mike Perlowin »

Here is a link to a review of the Ray Liotta film about the guy who set the fire that destroyed Valley Arts Guitar Center. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0285917/
Gary Goodman

Post by Gary Goodman »

I met John many years ago when he was teaching at Valley Arts. That was where I first saw a LDG Sho-Bud. I ended up buying my LDG from Eddie Walker, owner of the Sound Pad music store in Van Nuys. Eddie Walker is now in tbe Palmdale Area. We played together as part of Ralph Ragers and the Rhythm Rascals around the San Fernando Valley Area in the late 70's/early 80's.

I saw Blackie Taylor last sunday at the American Legion in Glen Avon where the band I currently work with host's a jam session every Sunday. Blackie didn't play but was there with a student of his. She played very well.

Dave Knight comes in almost every sunday and plays with us too. What a great picker he is. and talk about fast..

It is a shame that John Doesn't play steel any more. He is/was a great steel guitarest.

Gary

------------------

Sho-Bud LDG, Evans Fet 500, Nashvill 400, Hilton volume pedal
John McClung

Post by John McClung »

To Ben Elder (and other LA residents needing lessons):

I actively teach E9 from my home studio in San Pedro. I'm a 30+ years pro player trying to help keep the pedal steel alive and kicking by passing on what I've learned over the years.

The only other SoCal teachers I'm aware of are Blackie Taylor in Riverside, and Chris Allen Burke in Long Beach (Chris also does excellent mechanical work on steels, he's worked over my MSA D-12, Sho-Bud Pro 1 S-12, and new Mullen D-12, he's very good). I think Gary Brandin teaches a bit down in Orange County, come to think of it.

I have a whole curriculum I've developed over the years to train students to become real players. It's worked for a few of them who had the talent, drive, and time to put in to develop their musicianship.

Anyone needing some help just drop me a line and we'll e-chat.
Edward Helbert

Post by Edward Helbert »

Just for general info and amusement.

The Valley Arts now belongs to Gibson, and they have opened a retail store in Nashville.

You can get to their website through Gibson.com or Valleyartsguitar.com

There is also a history of the store and its' demise.