Bobby Garret

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Nicholas Dedring

Bobby Garret

Post by Nicholas Dedring »

I have a record.... "Hank Thompson: Live at the Golden Nugget" with Bobby Garret playing steel on the album.

It COMPLETELY knocks me out, and I was wondering whether anyone knows of other records Bobby Garret played on. Any advice would be appreciated. The cd when I got it was in a bargain bin at a record store. It doesn't seem to be on normal release as it is... weird. Anybody have this cd, or any bobby garret reflections?
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Nick, Bobby Garrett was Hank's steel player in -59-62. He was on all Hank's three live albums, the other two are Cheyenne Frontier Days and At The Texas State Fair. Of course he was on all studio recordings of the era too. Bear Family has put out a 12 cd box set, which has Hank's all Capitol recordings. This of course is a pricey investment, but personally I'd hate to live without it Image Then there are several compilations of the hits, which include material from the entire career and feature all great steel players who played with Hank.
Larry Harlan

Post by Larry Harlan »

Jussi right you are! In talking to Bobby in about 1970 or '71, he told me he had been playing for Hank prior to the Golden Nugget album which means he probably was on Hank's Capitol album #T1469 "This Broken Heart of Mine." And,(not sure)but he could have been on the next previous which was Capitol album #T975 "Dance Ranch."
Somewhere in this time Bobby had written Rose City Chimes and Hank promised to put it on the Golden Nugget album if he'd come and do the stint in Las Vagas, and he did.
In between the Cheyenne Frontier Days album and the Texas State Fair Album Hank kicked out "The Best of Hank Thompson" Capitol album #DT1878.
Also after the Texas State Fair Album came "The No.1 Country & Western Band!" album #DT1741, and I'm not so sure Bobby may have been on that one too.
Somewhere in this mix Bobby White was Hanks's steel man but I'm not sure of the years. I'm thinking after Bobby came Bert Rivera for some 9 years. Regards,<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Larry Harlan on 26 March 2004 at 06:35 PM.]</p></FONT>
John Steele

Post by John Steele »

Mr. Garrett kicking off his solo in "I'll Step Aside" is worth the price of the whole darned box set, imho.
That emotional rush, the tinge of distortion, and the electrifying effect he had on the rhythm section is hard to put into words.
-John
Bill Cunningham

Post by Bill Cunningham »

Yes! What John Steele said.

I haven't listened to that CD is two years I'll bet. And I just got chill bumps when I read his comment.

------------------
"Gimme a steel guitar, 2 or 3 fiddles and a Texas rhythm section that can swing"..W. Nelson

Walter Stettner

Post by Walter Stettner »

Don't forget the album "Hank Thompson & Friends" from 1997, probably the last recordings Bobby ever made. This is a great record with beautiful playing by Bobby! His intro to "I'll Be Here Tomorrow" always gives me chills! What a great player he was!

Kind Regards, Walter
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

There was an album by Garret that Tom Bradshaw was selling , it might be listed in the material that Tom
donated to the forum , maybe bee-zero-bee would know !
B
Wayne Cox

Post by Wayne Cox »

BOBBY also had at least one album/tape of his own which was cut and released later in his career,in which BOBBY's creative style really stands out, but the iceing on the cake is that BUDDY EMMONS also does some incredibly tasteful fills and rides on it using an IVL Steelrider (a midi device for steel). Wish I knew the name of the album but I don't.
~~W.C.~~
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

The name of the album that Tom Bradshaw was selling was called Bobby Garrett's " Thumbs Up " -- Maybe if Tom is reading this he could shed some lite on the subject ! as to where or if this is still available
the info on the album is 1986 Steel Guitar Club , so Tom might have been the publisher . The item # CC-3
Bob
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

The name of the album that Tom Bradshaw was selling was called Bobby Garrett's " Thumbs Up " -- Maybe if Tom is reading this he could shed some lite on the subject ! as to where or if this is still available
the info on the album is 1986 Steel Guitar Club , so Tom might have been the publisher . The item # CC-3
Bob
Merv Dawson

Post by Merv Dawson »

When Bobby went to work for Box Car Willie in Branson, all Box would let him play was the steel guitar rtag and Bobby did not have a tape of that song. He recorded it in Tyler and put a different kind of tag on the end that he was very proud of. I loaned my copy of the tape to someone and they never returned it. He was workling on a project which would have included three new "chime songs" which he was really proud of. He played one of them for me one day and it was flat out terrific. He was going to fill up the CD with old standards, including "Misty". He died before he could bring that to fruition. He also did not record any of the chime songs, that I know about.
Merv
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

Mr. Harlan, he did play on Hanks Live at the State Fair of Texas album and it too was recorded live, in one take with no redubbing at all. Its an incredible album and I think its possibly some of his best work. Give a listen to Charmaign on that album. Its really unbelievable and I think Paul Graupp of Fender mag did an article about that particular cut way back when. Charmaign is my all time favorite recording that my Dad played. All those live albums were great!

Rick Garrett
Larry Harlan

Post by Larry Harlan »

Rick, you're right! Bobby told me he was on a 1957 model D-10 Sho-Bud on the State Fair album. I have no idea what amps they were playing through, possibly early Fender's with blond tolex. The whole band was just phoenominal. Just yesterday on the way to Okc I played a tape I made off of the original album several years ago. The old sho-Bud sound of the era and Bobby's steel work is just to die for! Regards,
Jussi Huhtakangas

Post by Jussi Huhtakangas »

Hank's band used Standels almost exclusively since their introduction and that is what you hear Bobby Garrett using. Their was a brief period around -54 when Leo Fender equipped the band with new Twins. This was when Bill Carson was Hank's guitar player and Bill was working for Leo. When I played with Hank few years ago he said he prefers something else than a Fender. Not because there's something wrong with them, it's just not his sound.
Jody Sanders

Post by Jody Sanders »

I met Bobby when he was 14 yrs. old. It was amazing how good he could play at that time.. We were in a the same band playing 6 nights a week when he was 16 yrs. old. He was one of the greatest players I have ever known. Our friendship continued thru the years and I would do a show with him occassionally where I would play the E9 part of "Rose City Chimes" and he would do the C6 part. He was one of my dearest friends and I sure miss him. I still have his ZB guitar and Fender Twin as a momento of his greatness. Jody.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jody Sanders on 03 April 2004 at 01:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Rick Garrett

Post by Rick Garrett »

Hey Jody, you were a great friend to dad and I know he loved you.

Man I would love to hear you and him playing Rose City Chimes together!! That would be awesome. God Bless and keep you.

Rick Garrett