Hitchcock's Epitaph to Curly Chalker

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Fred Shannon

Hitchcock's Epitaph to Curly Chalker

Post by Fred Shannon »

I was finishing up on the photo dealie and ran across Clyde Bloodworth's post about there not being any of Curley in the mess. So in researching every one of the pics, I found I had none, but in the process I found this email from Stan Hitchcock,(who I don't remember) but it's typical Curley. Here is his email to a guy named "Jim" who I don't know either: Quote:

"From: HitPro (hitpro@aol.com)
Subject: Re: Something to talk about

Newsgroups: uk.music.country
Date: 1999/02/16

Hi Jim, this is Stan Hitchcock.

Curly Chalker was my friend, and I thought youmight enjoy this story, since you just got a new cd featuring him.....here it
is:

A couple of weeks ago one of my musician friends called me and told me that one
of my old compadres had died that morning, namely Curly Chalker, the best damn
steel guitar player that ever slid a bar across strings, and would I come and
sing at the funeral. Many years ago, around 1970, I recorded a song called
“The Shadow Of Your Smile” which is an old pop standard and one of the prettiest melodies I have ever heard. The reason I recorded it was so I could feature Curly playing the steel guitar turnaround, no small feat for a country steel guitar player.....but Curly wasn’t just any steel player....he was Curly Chalker, the best. I met Curly in the late sixties when he moved to Nashville from Las Vegas where he had a legendary show band where other musicians would just come to watch in amazement as they played everything from Western Swing tofar-out Jazz and all the in-between. Curly came to Nashville to get intosession work but the producers in power were so intimidated by his talent, and
his no-bullshit attitude, that they froze him out of most of the big sessions.
My bass player, Buck Evans, would go down to Printer’s Alley and play with
Curly, as part of the Curly Chalker Trio when we weren’t on the road. Curly
had put together the Trio which consisted of Curly, Buck and Jimmy Stuart on
drums. I would come by the club and listen and Curly got to asking me to get
up and sit in on vocals.....then one night he wondered if I knew the song “The
Shadow Of Your Smile” and when I said no he asked me to learn the song so we
could do it on stage. Well, I learned the song and the first night we tried it
on stage, and he went into the jazz-swing turnaround and just played his everlovin’ butt off, I was hooked. A couple of years later when I was putting the material together for a new album, I decided to bring in Curly and feature him on the “Shadow”. Tommy Allsup was my producer, a man who understood music
and musicians and who loved Curly’s playing also. Well, we had cut a couple of
good songs and I felt about in the mood, so I sent most of the extra musicians
out of the studio for a break and kept Jimmy Capps on gut-string guitar, Bob
Moore on the acoustic bass, Buddy Harmon using brushes on the snare and a mixed
quartet of background voices and brought Curly in. We dimmed the lights real
low and Curly touched those strings with his magic hands and we started the
song. I sang a verse and a chorus and then very quietly said,”Ladies and Gentlemen, may I present my very good friend, Mr. Curly Chalker.” What followed was a special moment in our country music......Curly played a classic
turnaround that every steel guitar player who has ever heard it still just
shake their heads in wonder. The record came out in an album and the label
pulled the song for the backside of a single......but the song was there and in
the areas where it got play it was a smash.....because of the steel. Well, the
problem with all of it was....none of the other musicians could play it...so I
never got to perform it on the road, except once.............
I was booked for a concert in St. Louis, Missouri in 1970 when “The Shadow”
reached number one on WIL Radio....the top country station in that whole
region. Well, I was sweating it ‘cause I knew folks would be wanting to hear
the song...and we couldn’t play it without Curly. The auditorium was packed
and we had set up on the front part of the stage, in front of the
curtain...because that is how Buck said the promoter wanted it. I was sorta
skeptical about this set-up....shoot, who every heard of setting up in front of
the curtain? We were introduced and came out to a great welcome from the
crowd, launched into our first song and the show was on. We did about three
songs without stop and then we cooled down and I started talking to the crowd,
and they started hollering for the “Shadow”. I was just into the explanationabout how it was impossible to do our number one record......when from behind the curtain came the sweetest sound.....the steel guitar intro to my song. The curtain parted and there Curly sat, behind that old Sho-Bud guitar, grinningfrom ear to ear. We did “Shadow” three times before the crowd would let us
be....it was a great moment. Buck had told Curly about our problem and he had flown in to do the show with us....just ‘cause he wanted to. It is my fond memory of Curly, and one I will always cherish.
At the funeral I stood off to a room at the side, facing the casket, and sang
the “Shadow” to Curly for the last time. I looked out across the crowd of
pickers and we were all taken back to those special times when the music was
all that mattered, we were all young and the fire was still in our
bellies........and Curly Chalker was the best damn steel guitar player that
ever slid a bar........across a string.

Jim, I just wanted to share this with you.

Stan Hitchcock" UnQuote:

Now if that doesn't knock your hat in the creek, you're a dead end kid. Image

Can some of you spool me up to speed on Hitchcock? I know I'm gonna' feel like a dumba$$ when I learn who he was and what he did. But I'm entitled to that at a near 71 years of age. Image Image

edited to show some old people are losing their sanity. I just received two phone calls to let me know who Stan Hitchcock is so don't bother. Image

------------------
The spirit be with you!
If it aint got a steel, it aint real

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Fred Shannon on 27 January 2004 at 06:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
Doug Jones

Post by Doug Jones »

Great story, thanks for sharing.
Rex Thomas

Post by Rex Thomas »

The more informed please chime in:
Stan Hitchcock had one of those 1/2 hr. country music shows on par with Porter, Wilburn Bros., Bill Anderson, Bobby Lord, etc. I'm going to guess it was mid to late '60's though I'm inclined to think earlier than that. I enjoyed Stan's show & would always try to catch it when it was on as I remember being drawn to the slick musicianship of the band. Of all those Nshvl. shows of that era I remember Stan's show ringing best to my wet behind the ears ears.
Oh, & having said that I was one that would watch the show just to hear the band, to me Stan was a very fine singer & I enjoyed him as well.
That's what I remember.
Oops, sorry, just caught your edit, Fred.
By the way, am enjoying the steel player photos. Nice work.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Rex Thomas on 27 January 2004 at 08:00 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

Not only do I cherish the album of that song but also the TV shot I have of Stan and Curly doing that with Curly behind that Crossover ShoBud. What a great time in steel guitar history. Curly will always be the top rung of my hero list.
Larry King

Post by Larry King »

I moved to town in Jan 1967 and Stan was on T V at that time....in addition to Curly, he had Jimmy Colvard on guitar and those two players together got downright scary. The scoop I always heard on Stan is that he was a P. K. from Nixa, Mo....I too have that album he refers to. For anyone who doesn't remember Colvard, he did the guitar work on " Six Days on the Road ".
Clyde Bloodworth

Post by Clyde Bloodworth »

Stan was and still is one of the best singers in any field of music. He sings dead on pitch with a warmth that pulls you in. He also has an appreciation for players and he shows it. I think he is a gentleman. I haven't heard anything from him in a long while; I assume he is still with us.
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 17 November 2004 at 09:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Roger Shackelton

Post by Roger Shackelton »

I saw the TV show, where Stan and Curly played "The Shadow of Your Smile." I believe it was "That Good Old Nashville Music." Bob Luman was the host of the show and allowed Curly to play "Midnight In Amarillo." Later on I found Stan's album. On the album Curly's strings sounded sort of dead, as though they hadn't been changed in awhile. I mentioned this to Curly once in St. Louis and he told me he had anticipated doing only an E-9th session and didn't change the strings on his C-6th neck, before the session. Curly was not pleased with his sound on Stan's album.

Roger
Mike Sweeney

Post by Mike Sweeney »

I was at Curley's funeral and it was very touching to hear Stan sing "Shadow Of Your Smile" with Beegie Adair playing piano behind him. But, when Johnny Cox played "Long Black Limosuine" I think everyone had a lump in his throat.
Just to expand on the comment about Curley's dead strings, I asked him how often he changed them and he said, I'll say this, when I cut "Shadow Of Your Smile" with Stan Hitchcock the strings on my C-6th neck on that guitar had been on there about 3 years. He told me that he hated to change strings but wished he had for that session.

Mike
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

I too remember Stan from the 1/2-hour Saturday night TV show in the late sixties. But also more recently from here on The Forum. He's posted here regarding dealings with Galord and CMT. I think he may have been one of the creators of CMT.

Anyway, his posts are always as informative and personal as the one Fred shared above. I hope Stan reads this thread and checks in here again.

------------------
HagFan

Paul Graupp

Post by Paul Graupp »

Fred: There is a picture of Curly in Pushin' Pedals but it was one that Fender had and I never thought it was too complimentary of Curly. I always liked the one of him on that bike with the Barn behind him.

Thanks for the story though; I really enjoyed reading words from Stan the Man !! He was one of my heros back then and still for that matter. But Clyde said it much better.....

Regards, Paul
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

To Stan "The Man" Hitchcock, my sincere apologies.

Now that the ball bat has been placed firmly against the side of my head, of course, I remember you. I, too, watched the TV shows eluded to, but the old age bug busted me again. Just a case of alligator mouth and hummingbird butt one more time.. In any case the email you sent to "Jim" certainly touched me, nearly to the point of tears starting to run. Curly was in the Texas Vernacular, "Something Else!!!", and you, sir, are a compassionate gentleman that I would enjoy meeting...Thanks for the article, it was great.

Now to you guys that ate my socks off, just wait, you'll lose some of it too with age. It's inevitable. Image Image

Fred

------------------
The spirit be with you!

C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Curley's turnaround on Stan's "Shadow of Your Smile" will live in my fond memory to the grave. What an awesome talent this man had.

I fist saw Curley playing an 11 string (yes 11 string) Fender 1000 using two Fender Bassman amps during a Hank Thompson show in the early 60's in Miami. He used a volume pedal but had no knee levers. As I watched him dance across those 11 pedals from one end to the other, I felt then and now, he was and is one of the most unique players of all time.

He is truly the "chord King" of the steel guitar. Add to this, his awesome tone and volume swells; along with his unusual bass string dexterity; and you have what Stan said come true.

May he rest in peace,

carl
Tom Hodgin

Post by Tom Hodgin »

Back in the early 70's I was a country DJ at a little 250 watt AM station in NC..We went off the air at 12 mid-night back then..I closed my show with either "Shadow of your smile" or Johnny Paychecks "Where-ever you are"...both will live in me forever....tom

Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Fred- A great story. Thanks for posting. Curly Chalker was the Best!. One of my favorites is "The Shadow of Your Smile". I like to play it , it's a great tune.

I have a CD of Johnny Cox great playing of that song,and when I play it, it reminds me of Curly.....................al Image Image

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Reggie Duncan

Post by Reggie Duncan »

I was just talking to guitarist Bob Saxton last week. We talked about the shows he played with Stan Hitchcock at The Nashville Palace, with Bobbe Seymour. Credits Bobbe with getting him the job.
These shows were on WSM in the late 70s, early 80s. Doug Jernigan played some too, if memory serves me correctly.
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

I would like to add one comment. I wish I lived a little closer to Clyde Bloodworth so I could listen to his outstanding playing on the C-6 (love those blues you used to do on the E9th also). You folks down in Georgia are lucky to have him in your area; real lucky. I don't think I've ever heard better.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

I have the old album..."Dixie Belle", by Stan Hitchcock, and it showcases these two greats (Stan and Curly) at the top of their game!
Fred Shannon

Post by Fred Shannon »

Just got this email from Mr. Hitchcock. See there it pays to be a dumba$$ after all. nyah, nyah, ni, nyah nyah!!! Image Image

""hey Fred......not to worry, I don't remember me very often either.
I'm older than dirt, and worth bout as much. We had some good times
with music and I got to play with the greats. I am blessed.

Thanks,

Stan Hitchcock
hitpro@comcast.net""

fred

------------------
The spirit be with you!

Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Could someone post Stan & Curly's version "Shadow"? I've never heard it. The tune was written of course, by the great Johny Mandel.
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

oops - double post.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Andy Volk on 29 January 2004 at 10:53 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jim Phelps

Post by Jim Phelps »

.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 17 November 2004 at 09:11 PM.]</p></FONT>
Gary Walker

Post by Gary Walker »

Being a dyed in the wool Curly fan and was blown away by everything he played including "Shadow of Your Smile" and reliving it through Johnny Cox's great reunion with that version is a trip back in time. For all who love those two great player's doing that tune, you might check out Steve Palousek's upbeat version that is nothing short of incredible. Many of Curly's chords to lead off and then some fine single note stuff to round out an amazing tribute to "Shadow."
John Floyd

Post by John Floyd »

If any of you get the Chance to hear Clyde Bloodworth pick.DO IT!

He came pretty close to giving me a heart attack in Saluda, last November.

He comes about as close to capturing Curly's style as anyone I've ever heard.

Clyde plays the living snot out of "Georgia".

That Old ShoBud Baldwin Crossover in the bottom picture sat in my living room in Hermitage Tn. for about two months in 1977 and Curly would come over, when he had time, to teach me some things.

Like a fool, I took a job in a shipyard in Mississippi and never graduated from the course, so to speak.

Another missed opportunity! I'm famous for not recognizing a opportunity when it hits me right in the face.

This post has caused me some tears in the past few days, everytime I go back and read what Stan wrote. Simply Beautiful. I have had the same thing stored on a CD for quite a while now. I even tried putting a Curly Chalker Memorial Website on a Tripod Website, and never got to finish it. It may still be there.

John<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by John Floyd on 29 January 2004 at 04:58 AM.]</p></FONT>
Ron Page

Post by Ron Page »

I noticed Stan's e-mail and encouraged him to stop by the forum again because a lot of people were interested in knowing more about him and his career.

That's how you got "busted", Fred. Image

Here's Stan's reply:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR><SMALL>Hey thanks Ron, gosh I wrote that about Curly about three years ago. I'm just an old steel guitar fan that was fortunate enough to work with the greats, Curly, Hal Rugg, Buddy Emmons, etc and I have never forgot who created this music they call Country.....the pickers and the songwriters, not the singers....we just carried the melody, the pickers made the music.

You are welcome to let folks know where to reach me.....I don't even know how to get back on the forum and thank those folks for remembering. And thank you for taking the time to let me know.

You were right, I headed up the group that started CMT in 1983-84, and I ran the network until it sold to Gaylord in 1991. I am currently starting up a new cable network called "BlueHighways TV", which will launch sometime this summer. My offices are in Hendersonville, TN and I welcome all pickers, singers, roadrunners, down and outers, heroes, songwriters, hitchhikers, carnival workers, circus freaks and other folks that have a lot in common with us pore ol music folks.

Thanks Ron,

Stan Hitchcock </SMALL><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I told Stan how to go about getting back in the mix here should he chose to do so. As indicated in Fred's original post, Stan can be reached via e-mail at hitpro@aol.com

------------------
HagFan

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ron Page on 29 January 2004 at 05:39 AM.]</p></FONT>