Dobro Licks

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Lindley

Dobro Licks

Post by Lindley »

Is there a tape or course somewhere that actually shows how to do popular Dobro licks? There are many for the pedal steel, like Steve Palousek, who just goes over many different licks, intros, breaks, and the like. I have Cindy Cashdollar, Jerry Douglas, Rob Ickes, and so on. They teach many valuable things, especially for a beginner like me, but it appears that they "hide' their good licke somewhat, especially Rob Ickes. I was just wondering if there was such a thing out there. Thanks guys...John

------------------
Steel crazy after all these years.
Emmons Lashley Legrande 111 S-10, Nashville 1000, Peavey Stereo chorus 212, Peavey Classic 50/410, Lexicon MPX 100, Crafters of Tennessee Virginian reso.

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Lindley on 22 October 2003 at 06:25 AM.]</p></FONT>
John Sluszny

Post by John Sluszny »

Yeah,I'm curious too!
Ron Bednar

Post by Ron Bednar »

Not sure if his style will fit what you are looking for but one guy that I really like is Kelly Joe Phelps. He has a DVD out and shows some nice stuff. He's got a very unique style of playing and singing and his take on lap playing is very different than most, refreshingly different. Kinda has an easy layed back way about him.
He is also, like my teacher Pete Grant, a proponant of D tuning. He plays a regular 6 string acoustic with a raised nut and doesn't use picks but his bar moves and ideas are great.

Pete told me a good story about him. He met him backstage at a festival once and asked if he might play his guitar. Kelly said sure, Pete commensed to play this real ripper of a steel tune he wrote and was having a great time on Kelly's guitar. Then he said, Kelly gently laid his hand on Pete's
and quietly said, "Please, my guitar doesn't need to hear anything like that."

Check him out.
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

Check out David Hamburger's book and CD. It's pretty deep. -MJ-
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

Hi, Lindley, Stacy Phillips' monster "Complete Dobro Player" is loaded with licks and styles, as is his earlier "The Dobro Book". Ditto on the Hamburger book, just excellent. His idea of breaking down phrases into 4 and 8 note blocks is a great way to build up ideas. As far as Rob Ickes' licks- definitely get a copy of the Rob Ickes Accutab transcriptions- you'll need the first four Blue Highway CDs where all the music is from, but it's the most accurate detailed dissection of reso style I've seen. His approach to playing in various keys without a capo and his licks in general are very apparent, and sometimes surprisingly ellusive, shown clearly in the Accutab. Rob sells 'em on his site too: http://www.robickes.com/
For great basic instruction, particularly rolls and weaving them into solos, check out Michael Witcher's book: http://www.geocities.com/mcwitcher1/michaelwitcher.html
Hope this helps some. (I have some of this material on my steel store site if you can't find it)

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mark van Allen on 22 October 2003 at 09:27 AM.]</p></FONT><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Mark van Allen on 22 October 2003 at 09:29 AM.]</p></FONT>
Kenny Davis

Post by Kenny Davis »

If you're looking for "licks", try Tim McCassland's (sp?) "Lick A Minute" series for resonator guitar.
Larry Robbins

Post by Larry Robbins »

Once youve got the basics downI think youll find that the best licks come from YOU!!!!
Image Image

------------------
Sho-Bud ProII
"there's been an awful murder, down on music row!"