Mike Auldridge Resophonics

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Howard Parker

Mike Auldridge Resophonics

Post by Howard Parker »

I'm pleased to share the news of the "Mike Auldridge Resophonics", designed by Mike Auldridge and Beard Guitars!!!!

I confess that I was given an opportunity to play the two new models MA-6 (6
string) and MA-8 (eight string) last week and they are WONDERFUL.

I hauled my guitars to Hagerstown, MD and got a chance to do an A/B comparison, using my birch laminate 6, mahogany 8, MA-6 and MA-8.

Firstly...These are stunning looking reso's. The cosmetics were designed by Mike Auldridge himself. I'd call it understated elegance. I'm reminded of Mike's life long expertise in the graphic arts. It shows!! The guitars are black and have the Mike Auldridge logo quite prominent on the peghead. Gorgeous inlay ("hearts and flowers"??) on the neck. BIG deep body and arch back.

The MA-8's neck was a tiny bit wider than my 8's and the wider spacing made it easier for me work on the lower frets.

Paul tells me that the internal systems are _completely_ different than any of his past designs and are totally _unique_ to the Mike Auldridge guitars. I don't have specs at this time as collateral brochures are a week or so away. I'm thinking Mike and Paul will release all details prior to the "Official" showing at IBMA.

The internal design changes are apparent in the playing.........

I was giggling after an hour. A drop dead "bell" qualities with rich harmonic overtones (to my ear)! It's tough describing any guitar's tone...So "pure"...and rich! <sigh>. Makes you want to play just one note and listen to the sustain......

My typical caveat is....My right hand and my ears. The MA-8 was as full bodied sounding as the MA-6. No mean feat for an eight string reso.

So...That's what I know...or think I know. Paul has graciously offered to send me pics at some point. I'll stick em' up on resoguit.com when I get them.

Oh yeah...Price??? Too darn _inexpensive_ imho. It'll surprise you I'm betting! You'll have to drop either Paul or Mike a note to get the number though.

For sake of full disclosure: I own Beard (and other) guitars. I buy them like everyone else. I pay for everything I get. I'm also not shy about talking about guitars I like.

HowardP

------------------
Howard Parker
poobah@resoguit.com
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT-L

Greg Simmons

Post by Greg Simmons »

Mike sure sounded fine playing one in St. Louis Image

------------------
Greg Simmons
Custodian of the Official Sho~Bud Pedal Steel Guitar Website

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Greg Simmons on 12 September 2003 at 04:54 PM.]</p></FONT>
Cindy Cashdollar

Post by Cindy Cashdollar »

Hi Howard:
Hi Howard:

I agree with your take on the Mike Auldridge model..."understated elegance" is Mike's style, and I think this one reflects that 100%. I got a chance to try one out at Paul Beard's booth at Scotty's steel convention, and it's just one of those special instruments that "plays itself".. I think Paul does great work, and I'm glad that he and Mike got together for this !
Mark van Allen

Post by Mark van Allen »

I got to talk with Mike at some length about these, and he and Paul have been working hard and long to "get it right". Mike was very clear about making instruments of the quality and tone he demands, yet with innovative features and design, available to as many players as want them. I think a lot of people are going to be really happy with these. Great guitars.

------------------
C'mon by and visit!- www.markvanallen.com
My Bands: Sugarland Kate and the Retreads Kecia Garland Band Shane Bridges Band Dell Conner Blues Band

Jeff Strouse

Post by Jeff Strouse »

Any idea of when they will be listed on Paul or Mike's website with features, price, dimensions, etc?
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

I'm told that all the material will be ready in time for IBMA. Meanwhile, a call to Paul Beard Guitars will probably get you what you need!

301-733-8271

HowardP

------------------
Howard Parker
poobah@resoguit.com
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT-L

Ric Nelson

Post by Ric Nelson »

Not only did Mike sound great, but Cindy did also when they jamed, one on the 8-string and the other on the 6-string and then they switched! Was that sweet pickin' or what?