Gib Wharton with Cassandra Wilson

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Jim Cohen

Gib Wharton with Cassandra Wilson

Post by Jim Cohen »

Walked into a party this evening and heard this wonderful, low, smoky voice on CD in the next room, singing a slow, steaming version of "Skylark". THEN I noticed it was practically a duet between this voice and a pedal steel guitar! Upon inspection, discovered it was Cassandra Wilson, with Gib Wharton on steel. Steel playing was great, very interesting, effective, and unconventional, complimenting Ms. Wilson's voice wonderfully.

By the way, a few cuts later, I heard Ms. Wilson singing a super version of "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" by Hank Williams. Needless to say, it was not "country" style, but was deeply emotional, and it was terrific.

Gonna find this CD on Amazon.com and get me one!

------------------
The "Master of Acceptable Tone"
www.jimcohen.com

Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

Jim-You are showing your appreciation of some good music.....al Image
HowardR

Post by HowardR »

Check out the Nora Jones cd.....her version of "Cold, Cold Heart" is a slinky version with bass and piano that will make you want to melt.
Steve Byam

Post by Steve Byam »

Jim
Just picked up her new cd, what a wonderful treat..two days later she was on A&E preforming live, man where have been all these years...see ya
Steve
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

Hi Steve,
Just tried to send you an email and it didn't go thru. Please email me at jim@jimcohen.com as I want to ask you a question.
Thanks,
jc
Paul Warnik

Post by Paul Warnik »

Jim C-I had heard a cut she sang played on the local jazz radio show a few years ago-as you desribe it was her singing with just pedal steel-It was very cool but what really struck me was that this was a jazz goove and the steel sounded like an E9TH player insead of 6TH one would might expect-perhaps the player whoose name I never found out till your post plays a S-12U ?
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

Cassandra Wilson, like Bill Frisell on guitar, has been exploring the instersection of American roots music and jazz in very interesting ways for several years.
Jim Cohen

Post by Jim Cohen »

I just heard her version of "Witchita Lineman". Wow! When she sings this old chestnut it makes you feel like it's the first time you've ever heard the song. What a talent!