Back to the basic??

About Steel Guitarists and their Music

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

autry andress

Back to the basic??

Post by autry andress »

I was wondering if any one is going back to
the basic Amp & Steel & maybe a DD-3/ or RV-3. on most of there playing/ traveling gigs.
I have heard some great sounds & tone with these units.
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Going back? Autry, I never left! (Well, there was that one period between David Allen Coe and Travis Tritt, but except for that, I've always played the "classic" sound!) Image<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 01 April 2002 at 04:06 PM.]</p></FONT>
autry andress

Post by autry andress »

Donnie, I guess what I meant was all the Pro Fex ll, Tube Fexs & other toys.
Scott Clancy

Post by Scott Clancy »

I recently dumped a slew of rackmount effects for a twin reverb for small rooms and a Nashville 1000 for larger situations.
I never run both, my stereo days are gone, I am one that rolled back to basics, a touch of reverb and thats it. Love the straight steel sound especially with a New steel now.
Scott

------------------
"Money distroys or Food and Music keep it an art and play from your heart". Sierra Session D10 Keyless , Too many amps to list.
Larry Schubert

Post by Larry Schubert »

Well I am new At steel played lap for about a year and psg for only a few months now. All I use Is my fender Twin and Carter. Somtimes I use my boss rv3 for some delay but I just love Reverb and just enough gain for bite, but I Am new at this and wound't traid my fender for any other amp. So what do I know. I aslo like to play simple foly stuff and played in more punk rock bands than any thing so don't listen to me Image
Ricky Littleton
Location: Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA

Post by Ricky Littleton »

All I'm using regularly now is my Session 400 LTD, and a Dan-echo stomp just to fatten it up a tad. Like it clean and bright!

Ricky

------------------
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4
Session 400 Ltd
Alesis Microverb
Dan-Echo, E-Bow

Bob Hayes

Post by Bob Hayes »

Being just and old retired enlisted man..The only thing that I can afford is my old MSA and a small (sort of light) Peavey Special and a delay unit. That's it. I am waiting for my New D12 Carter..That will help..But I'm not a fancy guy anyway..I just play it the way I feel it.
Grouchyvet
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

I used a pedalboard briefly last year, but have always used a basic set-up: steel guitar>v-pedal>Nashville 400. Same for guitar: Tele>Bassman. Occasionally a delay pedal. Same principle applies to booth, the fewer parts the less things break down. Based on fear, I know, but peacce of mind makes gigs more fun. Playing in bars, etc. who's gonna know the difference between rack full o' goodies and a plain ol' amp?

Whatever floats your boat.

Drew

------------------
www.newslinkassociates.com
www.drewhoward.com

Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Good point, Drew. Most of the exquisite sounds we try so hard to project are simply lost in the mix, or appreciated only by other steelers. Image
Tony Orth

Post by Tony Orth »

Amen Drew!!.

Now that I'm in my third trimester of life, there's just something about simplicity that makes me feel comfortable.

Steel Rockin' in Indiana
Tony
Michael Johnstone

Post by Michael Johnstone »

My gig rig these days is my Sierra S-12 keyless thru a Nashville 400 with a little Alesis Nanoverb clipped to the handle and a small GFI seat.Less is more. -MJ-
slick

Post by slick »

S12 MSA,Peavey nashville 400,Boss RV3.
Someone once told me,kiss,keep it simple stupid.That works for me.

Wayne
Bill C. Buntin

Post by Bill C. Buntin »

Yep, guitar,vol. pedal, boss delay, Session 400.