One steel with two different scale lengths

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Joe Kaufman

One steel with two different scale lengths

Post by Joe Kaufman »

Reading over an old 22.5" vs 24.5' scale length post got me wondering...have any of you ever seen one? I did a little figuring and if a D8 had one neck at 25' and the other at about 22.3" (equal to the 2nd fret of the 25") all the upper frets would be equally spaced. If I ever build another steel I'll have to try it. I can't be the first to think this though.
Bobbe Seymour

Post by Bobbe Seymour »

You aren't the first to think it though. You are asking yourself some good questions.
The only advantage of the 22.5 (short) string length is that you can do slants easier near the nut. However, this advantage is lost the ferther up the neck you play because the frets get too close together more quickly, and sustain is lost quicker because of running out of vibrating area in the string. I prefer,(after 50 years of professional playing)the longer necks. Better tone, better sustain and if you wish to have great "slant-ability" near the nut, just add a little more string spacing.
Billy Robinson(hall of famer) uses very wide spacing at the nut and a 24.25" string legnth. he takes advantage of all the guitar will do too. I highly agree with this longer, wider way of doing it. (HUH?)

Slik Sliden III
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Guitarzilla, 10-10-5
Fred Brown

Post by Fred Brown »

Gosh, Scott those basses are the goofiest, dangdest things I've seen. I really like the idea. Once you've seen it, you wonder why you didn't think of it yourself. Built-in intonation, cool idea.
Fred
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

That's called 'fanned frets' and is also done on acoustic and electric guitars. The idea is to get the best of both worlds with a short scale on the high strings and long scale on the bass. I've never played one but understand it's not nearly as uncomfortable as it looks. I think a steel like that would be a PITA though.
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Chas
Where did you ever get that?? Its GREAT..and they say LF and PA were smart. How does it sound??
chas smith

Post by chas smith »

Jody, I made it 13 or 14 years ago. It's mainly used for effects although the long-scale in the middle is very playable. The bass neck gets used the most, both for doubling bass lines and for "rolling-chords". Each neck has pickups on both ends of the neck so it does a lot of stuff. I typically weave things in the strings and play it with hammer dulcimer hammers.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by chas smith on 14 March 2003 at 05:27 PM.]</p></FONT>