Siren-like sounds in open D tuning

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Fred Kinbom

Siren-like sounds in open D tuning

Post by Fred Kinbom »

When I listened to the Moonlighters live recording that Mike Neer posted here recently, I noticed that Mike emulates the sound of a train on his tricone before one of their tunes. It made me smile to hear how "real life sounds" can be hinted at with a steel bar and six strings. Image

Yesterday as I was fiddling around with some minor chords I discovered some sounds that (at least to my ears Image) sort of sounds like sirens (of the type one often hears in World War II documentaries or movies). Here is the short instrumental:

Fred Kinbom - Sirens

(Lazy River hollowneck in open D (major) tuning.)

Has anyone else got examples of "sound emulation" on lap steel?

I love this instrument - there so much that can be done with it! Image

Cheerio,

Fred

(Thanks Steinar for hosting my mp3!).

------------------
www.myspace.com/fredkinbom

www.youtube.com/oahusteel75
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Fred Kinbom on 09 December 2006 at 03:20 AM.]</p></FONT>
Matt Lange

Post by Matt Lange »

this isn't lap steel (although i'm sure some lap steel players have done it), but Duane Allman used to make bird-like sounds by playing quick slides above the fretboad with a bottleneck slide. Example: the very end (last few seconds) of Layla by Derick and the Dominoes.

------------------
my music: www.myspace.com/mattlangemusic
Roman Sonnleitner

Post by Roman Sonnleitner »

I do the train whistle thing as an intor to the song 'Freight Train' - works best for me using the top 3 strings on a C6 lap steel, somewhere around frets 5 to 7, with the bar slightly slanted so that intonation is a bit off between the strings (after all, it's not supposed to sound like a real chord) - then I do some wah-wah effects with the tone pot, and also use the volume pedal. With a little practice you can really emulate the difference between an approaching and leaving song; and have a drummer use brushes to make rattling train wheel sounds on his snare drum!
Bob Hickish

Post by Bob Hickish »

For train whistle sound I use for OBS in the key of E
is a 3 fret fwd slant at frets 7- 6- 5 on
string 2 3 4 . most horns are tuned to minors , this is as
close as I have come
tuning is a E6th 8 string with high G so my
second string is E

Hick
Edit That should have been E6th (not c6th)

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bob Hickish on 10 December 2006 at 01:36 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bob Hickish on 10 December 2006 at 01:39 PM.]</p></FONT>