Uploading Images

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Johnny Cunnyngham

Uploading Images

Post by Johnny Cunnyngham »

Hey, guys, is there a favorite program for placing images on the web and onto the forum? I have tried uploading to my server's site, and I have tried the utility COFFECUP, both with no success. It is frustrating, I have a fairly good knowledge of computers, I use Photoshop, drafting programs and other extensive software on a regular basis but this web issue has closed the door in my face. I'm missing something. thanks, Johnny
Will Holtz

Post by Will Holtz »

Johnny, what program you use to place images on the server is dependent on how the server is configured.

I personally use WinSCP for my file transfer needs. This requires that the server can accept either SFTP or SCP connections. These are pretty typical on unix based servers.

FTP is the most universal file transfer method. The smartFTP client nicely does FTP and is free.

If neither of those work, you should probably talk to the tech support that runs the server you are trying to put the files on.
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

If you have Internet Explorer 6 you can use that to FTP to a server. I use Frontpage to generate and update pages for my web site, but I also use I.E. to manage the web site. (I'm using RoadRunner).
Johnny Cunnyngham

Post by Johnny Cunnyngham »

Fellows, thanks for the Info. Your comments are appreciated. I will begin work on your suggestions right away. Johnny
Wiz Feinberg

Post by Wiz Feinberg »

I use WS_FTP to upload and download all kinds of files to/from servers. The CoffeeCup FTP client is perfect for this job. Just configure it to login with your user name and password, starting with the web root directory. From there create a new directory and call it "images." Open the new images directory, which will be blank, locate your photos in the left pane explorer view, then upload them in Binary mode, or Auto Mode, to the server/images directory. Piece of cake.

Wiz