how to change key on a WAV file

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

mickd

how to change key on a WAV file

Post by mickd »

If I've got a midi file, I can play it back in a different key no problem (e.g Roland VSC player or Powertracks).

With a WAV file, Slowblast lets me slow it down without changing the key.

But I've got a WAV file thats at the right speed, its just in the wrong key for me to play along (I know, I could play in the WAV key, but I'm trying to learn the tab and thats asking too much Image )

Anyone know how I can change the key of the WAV file ?<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by mickd on 16 February 2002 at 11:24 AM.]</p></FONT>
Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

the only product I know of thatr might do it is Sonic Foundry's ACID or ACID MUSIC (the less expensive version)

treating wav files as loops, ACID can change the tempo and NOT the pitch, change the pitch and NOT the tempo, and many other gyrations... it's pretty cool
Raybob

Post by Raybob »

With Cool Edit Pro, you can change pitch and time, or time or pitch independant of the other. Takes some time processing though. You can download a trial version at www.syntrillium.com . I'm not sure if the trial will let you do that editing though.
Raybob

------------------
Sierra S12 8+5 A6/D9
Good tunes

Tommy Mc

Post by Tommy Mc »

Nero's 'Wave Editor' will do this.
mickd

Post by mickd »

thanks for the replies.
I will take a look at these - hope they're not too big a download, as I only have a 56K modem line Image
mickd

Post by mickd »

Well, I downloaded the trial version of Cool Edit 2000, and I tried the pitch stretch function. It works - but its not easy to use. You get an option to set the %age stretch & its not obvious how to translate that into a key shift Image
By trial and error, I *almost* got it down to the key I wanted but not quite. Is there a trick to this ?
Tommy Mc

Post by Tommy Mc »

Nero has half step calibrations, and was easy enough to figure out that I didn't need to read the instructions. It's about an 11 mb download. Nero is mainly a CD burning program, but it's wave editor does have this feature.
'Musician's CD Player' also can change pitch or speed, and claims to use semi-tone calibrations. I tried it once but no longer have it installed. You can download a trial here: http://www.ronimusic.com/muscdpl.htm <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Tommy Mc on 17 February 2002 at 06:18 PM.]</p></FONT>
Graham

Post by Graham »

Mickd:
Try using the transpose box in the stretch box. To go up 1/2 tone=1# etc. To go down, just the opposite. Have used this function numerous times with no problems.

------------------
Rebel™
ICQ 614585

http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html

mickd

Post by mickd »

Graham
thanks - I knew there had to be a simpler way, but I never noticed the transpose box Image
Tommy
thanks for the link. The download is really small (160K) so I'll give it a try
Mick
John O Keeffe

Post by John O Keeffe »

You might try this site there lots of useful stuff on it and you may find what you are looking for: http://www.simtel.net/pub/win95/sound/