Windows ME

The machines we love to hate

Moderator: Wiz Feinberg

Jackie Toney

Windows ME

Post by Jackie Toney »

Has anyone tried the new Windows ME? How is it different from Windows 98?

Jackie
Bob Martin

Post by Bob Martin »

Hi Windows ME is just an upgrade of Win 98. It is very cool and very stable.

I have it installed on my machine and since I have installed it my machine has not crashed once. I've had it on my machine for over a month. Win 98 use to crash at least once a week and that was Win 98 SE.

The interface looks just about the same, but it has some really cool new features and looks. One of the best features is being able to go back to a previous state of ME that was running just fine. That is if you install something that causes problems in the registery or the OS you can restore the registery to a previous date when all was fine.

I think it is a good upgrade to Win 98.

Bob

------------------
biggbob@home.com
http://members.tripod.com/biggbobmartin

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I upgraded from the original OEM version of WIN98 to the ME last week. The only problem I've run into, so far, is an incompatability problem with McAfee Viruscan V5.01. I fell back to V4.02 and no more errors. McAfee has given me a long list of items to delete and then reinstall the V5.01 that's supposed to fix it, but I haven't gotten around to trying it.

One thing I did do prior to installing ME, was to reload my PC with the original installation CD (or Quickrestore as Compaq calls it) to get rid of a lot of junk that is always left over from installing/uninstalling programs. It may be a bit of a hassle but I had everything backed up on CD's so I didn't lose anything I didn't want to lose. It took me about 4 hours after reloading the PC to get everything back the way I wanted it before installing ME.
Ernie Renn

Post by Ernie Renn »

Jack;
I'd be interested in knowing where you went to get the names of the McAfee files to delete. Was it thru their website? I had to disable most of the Virus program. Since I got a new computer I've been plagued with blue screens and illegal operations. I think the culpret is the McAfee software.
How do you go back a version?
Also, how much is a copy of Windows:Me?

------------------
My best,
Ernie
The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Jackie Toney

Post by Jackie Toney »

I have the Promotional copy of Windows ME installed on mine. It was $49.95. The update on that is $89.95 at Office Depot. I'll be geting that this week.

With Windows 98 I was getting those blue screens and illegal operations warnings. So far I haven't gotten any of those with Windows ME. It also seems to load faster on start-up.

Jackie
Bob Carlson

Post by Bob Carlson »

I also installed Windows ME and the biggest improvement I've found is it shuts down in about 16 seconds. It used to take about 90. Now I click shut down and by the time I get my finger on the surge protector switch in a couple of seconds I can shut it down also.
It didn't help me much on start-up but I have Money, Works and others on start-up. I've only used the computer about five hours, and no lock ups yet either. This is supposed to be the last upgrade of the Windows DOS formatted OS according to PC World.

Bob Carlson

Uff Da! <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 29 September 2000 at 02:12 PM.]</p></FONT>