Show us your Rack!!

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Tim Harr

Show us your Rack!!

Post by Tim Harr »

Pictures of your effects rack that is....

External jacks you have installed or just the contents....

Whatcha usin??
Gene Jones

Post by Gene Jones »

Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Here's a link to mine. I gotta learn how to post photos on this forum.

http://www.steelguitarblackbox.com/page8/page10/files/page11-1013-full.html

Brad
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

<SMALL>Whatcha usin??</SMALL>

looks sorta like this....plus a couple of wires Image
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

Top to bottom:
Lexicon MPX110
Audio Centron stereo graphic EQ
Behringer Autocom stereo compressor
Peavey 4-band parametric EQ
ART power supply
Samson MDR624 mixer
MXR Dynacomp -> Tubeworks Real Tube overdrive

I split my first signal. One side goes to the MXR Dynacomp to the Real Tube overdrive, with an AU7 instead of an AX7 tube. That signal goes to one-half of the rack compressor, to one side of the graphic EQ, then to the board – the “overdrive” signal.

The other side of the signal first goes to the second side of the rack compressor, then it’s split again. One half goes to the Peavey parametric EQ, then to the mixer – the “clean” signal. The other half goes to the second side of the graphic EQ, then to the Lexicon, then a stereo output to the mixer – the “reverb/chorus/delay” signal.

I pull a line-level signal off the mixer to a Boss RC20XL looper, which feeds back into a channel on the mixer. There’s still enough inputs left for a tape deck, CD, drum machine etc. I can rearrange the patches so that the tube overdrive goes through the reverb, etc., but I’m mammothly content with the tone options right here right now.

I can drive a stereo power amp, disk recorders, and computers with this. I’ve actually re-recorded classical CD’s with more compression for car listening with this rig - (gasp). I have a 4-space SKB rack case, but honestly I just use my POD or Genesis 3 to get “out”. This whole mess is really versatile, and surprisingly quiet if you stay finicky with matching signal levels, but it does NOT lend itself to quick tone changes.
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

Brad,
Yer kiddin', right?

Bo Borland

Post by Bo Borland »

I bought the rack and everything in it on EBAY. I wanted a rack with the handle on the top lid so that I could use the sides for connectors.
The rack was $75.00, the Peavey Delta Fex was $100.00, the Korg was about $100, and the Furman was about $50.00.
I used a AC connector off an old computer and may replace it with a recessed flange mount AC plug so that I can use any regular extension cord.
The in & out plate is the bottom of a project box from Radio Shack, I will replace that with a recessed dish very soon.
All the connections to the in/out and AC are soldered. Once my steel is set up, I can be ready to tune up in about 5 minutes.
One short cable to the in, one short one from the out to the volume pedal, one to the amp from the pedal.
The top unit is a Furman power conditioner, most everything is plugged into it except for the heavy wall wart for the Delta Fex. I attached a power strip to the bottom lid for that, cut off the plug and wired it to the AC socket. The Furman is plugged into the power strip.
The Furman has 2 lights built in that have a dimmer and switch, great for low light conditions, they let me see the efx controls.
Korg DTR1 and Peavey Delta Fex are the other two units. I pull the plug from the steel and plug into the tuner instead of bypassing thru it.
I like the sounds the Delta Fex gets but... I want to replace it with an EFX unit that has punch in pre sets instead of dial ups. I also want to be able to stack the efx, for example get delay along with flange, chorus, or rotary sounds.
On top of my amp is a small 4 channel SoundCraft mixer. I only use it at home. I plug the volume pedal out in to channel 2 and have a stereo to mono wire into channel 1. The output is into either the amp or a headphone amp for private or late night picking. The stereo to mono cable is for the small CD player or my IPOD. The IPOD is fantastic for practicing and holds all the music I ever need. The mixer lets me blend my steel with the recorded music and run it into the amp or headphones.
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bo Borland on 04 November 2006 at 07:33 AM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Bo Borland on 04 November 2006 at 09:04 AM.]</p></FONT>
Steve Spitz

Post by Steve Spitz »

Brad : is that how your settings look when you use the tcM300 ? same for mono into a 112 ? Thanks.
David Higginbotham

Post by David Higginbotham »

This one is at Bobbe's...
Uh, Nevermind...effects rack rack is what you meant, huh?
Gary Steele

Post by Gary Steele »

I was ready to sell my Revelation and get one of the fire engine red ones, Until i thought about the price of the red type. Now i know Brads preamp is very inexpensive,
!@#$%^&*()_+
James Cann

Post by James Cann »

<SMALL>Topic: Show us your Rack!!</SMALL>
Donna, in that as evolves woman, devolves man, please pity and forgive us!
Brad Sarno

Post by Brad Sarno »

Steve, ignore the settings on my M300 in the picture. Those are random. Jay, thanks for posting the photo. Typically I've got the effects blend at noon, dynamic or tape delay, and any number of reverbs, but usually the concert hall. Also, a tip is that the timing knob should stay exactly at noon or else the tempos you tap in for delay time won't come out exactly how you tapped them.

Jay, thanks for posting my photo. Seriously, I haven't learned how to actually make a photo show up on these threads. I think it's pretty easy though, right?

Brad

John McGann

Post by John McGann »

Mine is Brad's setup (Revelation/ TC M300) minus the tuner (I have a Peterson mounted on the steel). That's all I could ever want!
Ray DeVoe

Post by Ray DeVoe »

Hey Fellow Pickers

If its show and tell time, I might as well get in on the action. Image Even though my rack does not compare when stacked up against the one submitted by my good pal, David Higginbothan. Dave, you are a married man !! Shame on you Image

I use this rack only some of the time as I dont like to leave the white speaker cabinets out for 2 weeks at time. I am in a house band that plays 2 weekends on, then 2 weekends off and then back again for the same rotation. Its kind of nice as it gives a player 2 off weekends to either find other gigs or spend time doing other important things. The rack weighs in at 43 pounds, but has rollers on it as one can tell. I did place tall rubber blocks on the bottom so that the cabinet would sit off of the floor to allow for ventilation when the small lower rack panel is removed for wire access.
-------------------------------------------
My other typical setup would be my 67 Emmons (pictured below) or 69 Emmons, playing through a Black Box, Hilton Pedal, Allesis Midiverb 4 and two Evans Fet 500 small cabinet amps. I am very happy with the quality of my "sound", either way.

Rack:

--------------------------------------------
Cabinets:

--------------------------------------------
67 Emmons Guitar which never gets left anywhere. I purchased this guitar many years ago from a fine picker in Pittsburg PA.
At that time, he was the house player for the Wheeling WV "Opry" and he had totally refurbished the guitar. Yes Charlie I still have it and no, you cant buy it back Image

Ray DeVoe<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray DeVoe on 05 November 2006 at 05:56 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray DeVoe on 05 November 2006 at 06:00 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray DeVoe on 05 November 2006 at 06:02 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray DeVoe on 05 November 2006 at 06:04 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray DeVoe on 05 November 2006 at 06:12 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray DeVoe on 05 November 2006 at 06:55 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray DeVoe on 05 November 2006 at 06:57 PM.]</p></FONT>
Mark Tomlinson

Post by Mark Tomlinson »

So, I have a recording studio in my house and it's plenty of fun to recording cool little things.

The list of equipment I use is:
Behringer UB1204-PRO, outboard mixer
Behringer MDX2600, sound compression
Ibanez DM-1000, digital delay
T.C. Electronic M300, a signal processor with reverb
ART Tube MP-Pro, a pre-amp for microphones and guitars
M-Audio Audiophile 24/96, digital audio card for the computer
Cubase + VST, audio sequencer and virtual instruments
Audio Technica 3525, 3031 and 4041, microphones

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Mark Tomlinson on 05 November 2006 at 11:27 PM.]</p></FONT>
Last edited by Mark Tomlinson on 23 Jan 2007 12:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ray Minich

Post by Ray Minich »

Mark Tomlinson wins knob count... Image
That Roland unit looks like my Bearcat Scanner....<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 06 November 2006 at 05:33 AM.]</p></FONT>
Darvin Willhoite

Post by Darvin Willhoite »

Here is my rig I use at my church gig. I have two inputs on the LH end, and outputs on the RH end. There is a Countryman direct box inside the rack, that gives me XLR and 1/4" outputs.

The three jacks on the front panel allow me to select from the two inputs on the side, or the wireless system. I use the wireless with my guitar, mandolin, or fiddle. The middle unit is the transmitter for my Shure wireless in-ears, which is mixed with the Aviom mixer attached to the LH side of the rack. The preamp/effects unit is one of my trusty old Digitech 2112's. I use a Tubeworks tubedriver for distortion, and a Boss auto-wah. These sit next to my volume pedal so I can kick them in and out easily.

------------------
Darvin Willhoite
Riva Ridge Recording

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Darvin Willhoite on 07 November 2006 at 03:33 PM.]</p></FONT>
Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

Stewart power amp, Revelation preamp, Lexicon MPX-1 processor, Korg dtr-2000 tuner and Furman power conditioner mounted in the backside of the rack.
Hook

------------------
www.HookMoore.com
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Hook Moore on 07 November 2006 at 12:18 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Hook Moore on 07 November 2006 at 12:59 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Hook Moore on 07 November 2006 at 01:01 PM.]</p></FONT><font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Hook Moore on 08 November 2006 at 05:09 AM.]</p></FONT>
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Hey Hook if I email you a pic of mine will you post it for me ? Not sure how to do that yet.
cheers Paddy

Jim Walker

Post by Jim Walker »

Paddy's Rack

Hook Moore

Post by Hook Moore »

My buddy Jim fixed you up Paddy Image
Hook

------------------
www.HookMoore.com
Paddy Long

Post by Paddy Long »

Thanks Jim and Hook -- very cool.
Revelation Pre, DPC750 Power amp, TC-M300 tucked in the side pocket, and the Stroboflip with the mount attached to the lug on the DPC.

<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Paddy Long on 08 November 2006 at 03:36 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jimmie Martin

Post by Jimmie Martin »

not meaning to hi jack a topic but what is the revelation unit and what does it do? thanks jimmie
Johan Jansen

Post by Johan Jansen »

http://steeljj.com/gear/case03.jpg http://steeljj.com/gear/case03.jpg
http://steeljj.com/gear/case04.jpg

http://steeljj.com/gear/case04.jpg

http://steeljj.com/gear/setupjj.jpg http://steeljj.com/gear/setupjj.jpg
<font size="1" color="#8e236b"><p align="center">[This message was edited by Johan Jansen on 08 November 2006 at 03:35 AM.]</p></FONT>
Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

I don't have a picture of my rack system. But it has a Rocktron "Sidewinder" preamp, T.C. Electronic "G-Major" effects processor and a MosValve 500 power amp.

I have customized my rack, a Grundorf 4 space rack, with ventillation holes (using speaker baffles to cover them) and have a speaker output jack plate and a computer type AC power connection for the rack and a surge protector power strip mounted in the bottom. I also has a jack plate for the "recording" outputs from the Rockron preamp.