Cleaning pots?

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Anthony Kolarik

Cleaning pots?

Post by Anthony Kolarik »

I have an old (12yr?) goodrich pedal, one of the low profile ones, that I'd like to use again but it's scratchy sounding. I think it must be from not using it for the last 8-10 years, because it sounded ok back then.

Is there some way to clean it so I'll know if its dirty or just worn out?

Looking through the archives I see somebody mentioned using lighter fluid, which I do use for cleaning strings sometimes... do you just drip it down the side of the shaft and spin it for a while to work it in?

I remember using some sort of spray cleaner from Radio shack on pots a long time ago too but I thought I heard it wasn't good for them, and I can't remember what that spray was anyhow.

Any help would be appreciated!
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

No, you have to take the cover off the back of the pot to clean it properly. Lighter fluid (naptha, really), works well with a pipe-cleaner for some "scrubbing action", but you have to re-lube the pot when you're finished. There are some good silicone sprays available at your local electrical parts outlet. Also, oil the shaft where it goes into the bushing every year or two.
Larry Dahl

Post by Larry Dahl »

I have been using a couple of stereo Franklin volume pedals for years that still have the original AB pots in them. A long time ago, I drilled 1/8 holes in the center of the covers. I did this by holding them overhead, and a friend held a vacumn cleaner hose close to the action, hopefully to not get any shavings inside the pots. The holes are covered with duct tape. Occasionally, I sray them with contact cleaner and work them back and forth.
Donny, does this mean I should be relubing them with silicone spray?

Anthony Kolarik

Post by Anthony Kolarik »

Thanks for the info. And I like the idea of putting a little hole in the cover too.

I was hoping I wouldn't need to untie that string but I don't have it in front of me and maybe I wont have to. I remember that loop looked kinda tricky though.
Mike Harmon

Post by Mike Harmon »

I've found the best thing for cleaning pots is a spray product called Caig DeOxIt D5. A little goes a long way! If your pots are not sealed, a little "poof" into the opening near the terminals is sufficient. Work the pot through its full rotation a few times to spread the cleaner/lubricant around. This stuff cleans gunk and oxidation out of the electrical contacts and adds some lubrication to eliminate noise and scratchiness.

If the pot is one of the A-B sealed pots, you can remove the back cover by GENTLY prying up the ears which hold it to the front of the pot. Use a VERY light spritz of DeOxIt, work the control several times, and gently wipe off the excess liquid with a Q-tip (be careful not to leave any cotton fuzz behind in the pot. Place the cover over the front part of the pot, making sure you have the ears in the right place. Use a mini pair of Vise-Grips or Robo-Grip pliers to squeeze the ears back down against the front of the pot. Don't apply so much pressure that you squash the pot cover or break off the ears.

You can get Caig DeOxIt at Scotty's Music (314) 427-7794, or a business which sells electronic components and supplies.

Good Luck!
Mike
Rick Jolley

Post by Rick Jolley »

For cleaning pots, I use a product called "Sili-Jet" which I got in Mexico. The best cleaners have "trike" (trichlorethane) which is now illegal in the US. The best pots (which should be used in a floor pedal) are completely sealed, so you can't squirt cleaner in that little slot behind the contacts. I have an old thing called a "Gazinta" which screws on the screw-in hub on the pot and then stick the other end (which has a little red tip) in your spray can of cleaner. When you press the button, the cleaner Gazenta (Goes into) the pot, thu the shaft. Since you don't have one, you sometimes can spray cleaner on the shaft as it sits upright, and the cleaner will run down into the pot. Then you turn it like crazy for a while to wipe the dirt off the track inside.

Caution: This works a while, and then you have to replace the pot.

------------------
Rick Jolley

(Rick Zahniser/Rickey Zahn)
Dekley S10 3/3, Session400LTD
http://belizenorth.com