JBL Speakers

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Johnny Stout

JBL Speakers

Post by Johnny Stout »

I recently bought a Fender Twin Reverb Silverface amp that has a 4 ohm 15" JBL 2226G speaker in it. The amp seems to be lacking that "Twin" sound and I'm wondering, if I decide to stay with a JBL, if this is the right model speaker for this amp for steel? From the research Ive done, I'm not sure this isn't a home audio speaker.

I've retubed the amp and it doesn't seemed to have improved the tone, at least not what I'm wanting to hear.

Any help or recommendations will be appreciated.

------------------
Johnny Stout
Mullen SD-10, Session 500, ProFex II
Jody Carver

Post by Jody Carver »

Johnny
From my expierience.The Twin Reverb amp was
sounding best with two (2) D 120 JBL speakers
So far as what you describe I beleive perhaps the match of the amp and speaker you are using is not compatabile.

Have you tried a D-130 JBL?..There are others
on this Forum who can help you with what you now have or an alternate.

My preference has been the stock Twin Reverb with 2 D-120 JBL's rather than a 15". I find that the Twelves move more air than the 15 JBL but on the other side of the coin many players prefer the 15"speaker for the round tone it projects.

To my limited knowledge I am not familiar with the speaker you have at present.It may be an impedence mismatch I dont really know.

I'm sure the sound is there somewhere Its just a matter of experimenting..Good Luck

Jody
Johnny Stout

Post by Johnny Stout »

Jody, I have a D-130 in an extension cabinet that I'm going to try. I also want to have the amp gone through by a good amp tech when I get the chance. I had one years ago with 2 D-120's so I know the sound you are referring to.

Thanks for your reply, I'll change out the speaker first, then proceeed from there.

------------------
Johnny Stout
John Bechtel

Post by John Bechtel »

I've Posted my experiences onthis Forum before, however; once again: In 1980 I bought a new Fender Twin-Reverb (Silver-Faced) and replaced the stock-speakers with a pair of JBL K–120's, which gave me the best sounding amp that I've ever owned! I let the amp go in '82, when I started hooking up in Stereo, only because of the weight-problem! I would have loved to have used two (2) Fender Amps like that one! Image

------------------
“Big John” {(<< Uh~
http://community.webtv.net/KeoniNui/BigJohnBechtels
Johnny Stout

Post by Johnny Stout »

John, I'm with you, I really like the sound of a twin with 2 12's. This amp has 15" JBL 2226G speaker in it. Ever heard of anyone using this speaker in a steel amp?

------------------
Johnny Stout
Larry Clark

Post by Larry Clark »

Johnny, The 2226g is a 4 ohm high power woofer made for P.A cabs. Frequency response tops out at 2.5k as opposed to 6k for a 15" guitar speaker(k130). I'm not surprised your not getting much "sparkle" out of it.
David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

I am now using a Custom Vibrasonic amp head (just like a Twin Reverb, but with the left channel switchable between bright or "sweet" steel) with a D 130 in a homemade reflex cabinet (it's not really tuned and is a lot like those Enhancer cabinets, just focusing all the sound out the front). This sounds wonderful when I'm playing alone. But, with a group, a stock silver-faced Twin with it's two 12s (borrowed occassionally from a friend) sounds better. The mids are grittier and less muddy, and the highs really sing out. For my loudest gigs, I'm thinking about getting a stock silver-face and playing through both. My goal is to have the drummer and bass player tell me to turn it down. Ya think it'll work? Image
Johnny Stout

Post by Johnny Stout »

Larry, thanks for the information on the 2226G, I suspected that may be the problem. I'm taking it out tomorrow and putting in a D-130. I'll let you know what difference it makes after I've played through it for a while.

Thanks.

------------------
Johnny Stout
David Mullis

Post by David Mullis »

I had a K-130 in the one I had and it sounded great. They will also handle more power than a D-130. Don't get me wrong though! I love the D series
Johnny Stout

Post by Johnny Stout »

I thought my speaker in my extension cabinet was a D-130, but it actually is an E-130-4. I put it in yesterday and have been playing it here in the music room. It made a huge difference in the sound, it's starting to sound like a Twin should. I'm still planning on having it moded if I can find a good Fender amp tech in my area.

------------------
Johnny Stout
David Spangler

Post by David Spangler »

The 2226 speaker was designed for PA low-frequency use. My experience and opinion is that this speaker has too dark of a tone for steel or other lead instruments. However, it can be reconed with a E-130 kit since the frame is the same. Also, the 2226 has a lower efficiency than the E-130 due to the heavier cone.

------------------
David Spangler
Woody Woodell

Post by Woody Woodell »

One of the best sounds I ever heard from an amp was J.D. Manness playing a push pull through a Twin with a 15" D130.