Fender Super Reverb question

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Chip McConnell

Fender Super Reverb question

Post by Chip McConnell »

Hey folks-
I am contemplating buying a '68 silverface Super Reverb. I have been told that the transformer is from 1970. The rest of the circuitry is supposed to be the AB763 blackface specs. What, if any, difference is the newer transformer liable to make? I am guessing this may result in more clean headroom? Any thoughts would be very helpful- thanks everyone.
Chip
Gino Iorfida

Post by Gino Iorfida »

Well, the transformers they used in '68 and '70 were identical or nearly so. With that said, are you talking replaced output or power transformer?

The "silverface era" power transformers were slightly higher voltages, however, one of the reasons (besides the need for more power), was the diminishing quality of good 5ar4/gz34 rectifier tubes, and an abundance of good 5u4gb rectifier tubes. The 5u4 does drop a few more volts as opposed to the 5ar4, so the higher voltage transformers with a 5u4 gave pretty much the same voltage. The blackface supers had about 460v on the plates of the output tubes. In other words, have a tech measure the voltage with a 5u4 in place, if the voltage is lower, you'll get earlier breakup of the amp, put a 5ar4 in and you'll get the tighter tone of the earlier models.

Output transformer quality varied quite a bit between the early blackface and the silverface Fenders, however, from a few reliable sources, I've been told the output transformers went down in quality with the last runs of the blackfaces (in super reverbs etc). Good news is, however, the replacements you get today are more in line with the blackface output transformers. -- as long as you are talking aftermarket from Mojo, MagicParts (Ruby Tubes), Allen, Mission, and NewSensor (sovtek/electroharmonix)... the ones that Fender has made for their reissues are sub-par (in fact the first few runs of the reissues were using left over trannies from the silverface amps).
Thing is, play the amp, if you like the tone, who really cares what is in there, after all, that is all that matters Image
Chip McConnell

Post by Chip McConnell »

Hey Gin0-
Thanks, this is good stuff. Tone is all I really care about, but I am buying long-distance so can't play it ahead of time. I feel confident it's going to sounds good, just covering my bases. Thanks again-
Mike Marchelya

Post by Mike Marchelya »

I've got a Super and love it for guitar, but not for steel. I'd suggest you play one first - maybe you can try one at a music store. Granted, it won't be identical, but you'll at least get a general idea of the sound. Buying an amp only to find out you don't like might be an expensive proposition. There are plenty of Supers out there. Unless this one's a REAL deal, I'd suggest you take your time and get something you'll be happy with in the long run.
Chip McConnell

Post by Chip McConnell »

Mike-
Thanks a lot for your input. I should have mentioned: I will be playing six-string through this amp, not pedal steel. I am pretty familiar with the Super sound, having played through them before, as well as gigging and recording with a Music Man 410HD-130 for a while. But, as you say, there is always a risk when buying gear sight unseen...
Ricky0ne1

Post by Ricky0ne1 »

I bought a 69 Bandmaster Reverb (same amp as a Super) knowing about the 'wimpy' output tranny. I bought a New Sensor OT with 2/4/8 ohm taps. This beefy replacement was only $75, and took 20 min to install.(Total investment = $385.) Small price to pay for what you get in the end, which is a stonkin tone machine able to drive most any speaker configuration. Hard to believe it's only 40 watts! Awsome amp for guitar OR steel OR bass guitar.
Talk about versatality!

------------------
Rick Summers

David Doggett
Location: Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)

Post by David Doggett »

In the '70s I had a blackface Super Reverb with 15" JBL speaker. It had lovely tone at low volume, but with 40 watts didn't have enough headroom for steel. That's why steelers went for the Twin Reverb with 150 watts back in those days. However, for 6-string, many guitarists prefer the Super because it gives better tube distortion at their playing volume.