15" speaker in Twin Reverb Cabinet

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Mike Marchelya

15" speaker in Twin Reverb Cabinet

Post by Mike Marchelya »

Will a 15" speaker like a JBL or Altec fit in a standard Twin Reverb cabinet?
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

Yes, any fifteen will fit...but it's a tight fit! (I have a 15" EV-SRO in mine.) You'll have to make a new baffle, and then mount it in the cabinet. Then, lay the cabinet face-down, and figure where you're going to mount it. You'll have to place it so the the output transformer sits in one of the speaker-basket openings. Place the speaker as low in the cabinet as possible (again, to keep the cone away from the output transformer), and mark the mounting holes. Then you can remove the baffle, cut the opening for the speaker, mount it, and put the amp back together.

Note, this is much easier in an old Twin, as the baffle was held in place with screws. The later ones (with the glued-in baffle) are a pain in the @$$, but it can still be done.

Takes a lot longer, though.
Danny Naccarato

Post by Danny Naccarato »

Check the specs on the Vibrosonics. These were identical to the Twins except built for 15". Mine has the speaker offset to the left when looking at the front of the amp, and it still barely clears the x-former.

Danny
Chris Erbacher

Post by Chris Erbacher »

hey mike, check with ricky davis. i posted a thread a while ago and it was in relation to amp choice, and i remember him telling me that he used a twin heavily modded, but also with a 15" speaker, which is basically a vibrosonic, but if you want the specific details of how to do it and what he uses, you might contact him, i'm sure he can give you the lowdown, take it easy and good luck with your venture.
Bill Terry

Post by Bill Terry »

I put a 15" JBL D140 in my Twin, it will fit, but Danny and Donny are right. You have to move it over to clear the output transformer. I didn't have to align the JBL basket openings though.

Dave Van Allen

Post by Dave Van Allen »

whover did the retrofit on mine centered it, and the transformer is entertwined with the speaker frame. not touching but only just; I tried fitting another speaker in there and there was NO may it would go. I'll just have to stick with the JBL.. (everyone say "awwwwwww, poor baby") Image
jim milewski

Post by jim milewski »

very important what Donny said! you have to rotate the speaker so the output transformer sits between the "spokes", I was blessed to do this to the reissue twin, the baffle board is screwed in, BW 1501, made this a great amp
Joerg Hennig

Post by Joerg Hennig »

On the Vibrosonic, the speaker is located far to the right if you look at it from behind, or to the left seen from the front.
Joe A. Camacho

Post by Joe A. Camacho »

Go to Rodgers amps and buy a new baffle, they'll cut it perfect for a twin. http://www.rodgersamps.com/index.htm

Here's mine... http://www.jomofo.com/FenderTwin/
Jeff Jackson

Post by Jeff Jackson »

I have been thinking about taking my Altec 15" speaker out of my old Gretsch Nashville Pro Steel amp and putting it in my late 60's Twin Reverb. It sounds great with that amp for guitar and pedal steel. I am just hoping it will fit.
David Nugent

Post by David Nugent »

If you have the reissue Twin, the speakers, baffleboard, and grillcloth are held with screws and can be removed as one unit. I have a 15" baffleboard and grillcloth that held both a JBL E-130, and later a 1501-4 BW, and both fit fine. You are welcome to it, just reimburse me for shipping.
Ken Fox

Post by Ken Fox »

In the past I build six Vibroverb clones and used Twin output transformers. You can see how the speaker was rotated:

randy barnes

how to replace the glued in baffle on the Fender Twin?

Post by randy barnes »

I realize that it is difficult to remove the speaker baffle on a newer Twin ('82) but any ideas how to go about replacing it without destroying the entire cabinet? I would like to try putting in a 15 in my Twin Reverb. tnx guys.
Clyde Mattocks

Post by Clyde Mattocks »

I did one years ago and relocated the transformer. You have to splice on extra lengths of wire. It would be a good idea also to check the location before you fasten it down permanently to make sure you've not put it in a place to set up excessive hum. By doing it this way,I was able to keep the speaker centered. Disclaimer: Although I did it once, I don't believe I'd do it again.
LeGrande II, Nash. 112, Harlow Dobro
Pete Burak

Post by Pete Burak »

I think an easier solution would be to take the speakers out of your Twin (alot easier to lift/move around, etc), and get a separate 15" cab/speaker.
You can then put the Amp right next to your steel for easy amp setting adjustments as needed, and run a cord to your speaker which you move around until you find the right placement for it within whatever the given setup is.
They also make a ring that you can use to convert a 15" baffle to 12". I got one from JaMac in Portland for 5$, and makes for easy speaker swaps once you get the holes drilled (Ring mounts to baffle with 4 holes, speaker mounts to ring with 4 holes).
Scott Swartz

Post by Scott Swartz »

I was just looking at doing this to the Twin I have, and comparing to a 73 Vibrosonic with factory JBL.

On the Vibrosonic, the outer edge of the speaker frame is located 1/8" from the cabinet bottom and 1/8" from the right cabinet upright.

In other words about as far right and low as can be reaasonably done. With this arrangement the baffle board has to be dado'ed (no room for the mounting strips used on a screwed baffle), although the speaker does not have to be rotated to clear the spokes and other speakers would fit.
Scott Swartz
Steeltronics - Steel Guitar Pickups
www.steeltronics.com