Help with Nashville 400

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Billy Poteet

Help with Nashville 400

Post by Billy Poteet »

I have a great nashville 400 with E series
JBL (real heavy) and a lemay mod kit. My
reverb unit has something loose and is starting to howl. When it does this I just
tap the side of the amp or the reverb unit
and it stops. Is this an easy thing to fix
where do I start looking.

Thanks
Billy P.
Steve Schmidt

Post by Steve Schmidt »

Billy,
The Nashville 400's have real issues with the molex connector that plugs into the bottom of the amp from the reverb unit. Remove the connector, and find a way to slightly crimp the sockets. I will use an old dentists pick, or a small jewelers screwdriver to do this. Also spray the pins with a contact cleaner and it should be good to go. If you do a search on N400's and flakey reverbs, you will find many posts on this exact same thing. Hope this helps
Steve
C Dixon

Post by C Dixon »

Crimping the terminals in the sockets of the "molex" connector will work IF one is very careful NOT to crimp them too much. But, simply removing the plug and reinserting often cures the intermittent reverb problem also. This acts to remove the oxidation that is responsibile for the problem.

Peavey should NEVER have used a molex connector in this circuit. They were not designed to carry audio signals; which has been proven conclusively by the large number of complaints concering this issue ever since they began using this type of connector.

Spraying the jack and the plug's termimals with "contact cleaner" (available at electronic stores) makes the repair last the longest IMO,

carl
Mike Brown

Post by Mike Brown »

The Molex connector was a widely used connector and the reliability percentages proved that it was dependable in the manufacture of our amp models. Yes, there will be some maintenance, as there is with "every" amp manufacturers' older models. But, being a mechical connector, it can work itself loose with the bumpy highways, rough handling, etc..

However, we did change this connector to another type a few years ago on the reverb circuit, but still use the Molex type on most all of our power transformers. Of all the Peavey amplifiers that have been manufactured since the early, early 70's, less than a 1/2 of percent failed due to Molex problems. The reverb Molex connection is more susceptable than say, a transformer Molex connection.

We ceased the use of a Molex connector type on our reverb circuits years ago. If you have questions or problems with any Peavey product, feel free to contact me here at Peavey by calling our toll free consumer line at 1-877-732-8391.

The Nashville 400 hasn't been manufactured since 1999, so the amplifier in question has to be at least that old.