Regal Triolian

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

klinke

Regal Triolian

Post by klinke »

Hi !
I'm thinking about buying a Regal Triolian dobro, RD-3, I really like that vintagelook, but it would be stupid of me to buy it just because of that. So what I want to know is if it's a decent guitar, I've only played a couple of months, and if there's a difference since it's called a Triolian, has it got a different sound compared to a regular dobro ? I live in Denmark, so I'm thinking about buying it from folkofthewood.com .
Thanks ! Waldemar
Mike D

Post by Mike D »

I'm pretty sure that model has a biscuit (National) type cone. It won't give you the same tone as a spider (Dobro) set up will. It's more suited to fingerpicking and bottleneck playing. So if that's what you want it's a pretty good choice. I've played a couple and they are built well. Swap in a National made cone, bone nut and a decent set up and it's a hell of a Bluesman's guitar.
Geoff Brown

Post by Geoff Brown »

I've played a few Regals that sounded ok, and more that were definitely not. I've heard the same reviews from other players.They look nice, but construction often leaves much to be desired. Quality control is very loose on these mass-produced imports. I'd be very leary of purchasing one without being able to play it first. If you search the forum, you'll find other threads that discuss Regal instruments.<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Geoff Brown on 23 October 2001 at 12:45 AM.]</p></FONT>