Lightweight Amp

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Ken Byng

Lightweight Amp

Post by Ken Byng »

I look forward to the day when Peavey, Webb etc produce a carbon fiber 400 watt combo with a carbon fibre 15" speaker. This is so that my wife can carry it into a club for me in one hand, along with my ultra light carbon fibre twin 10 in the other, while I trail behind her carrying my extremely heavy steel bar and picks. God bless Reece, Buddy and Paul - the three most radical inovators connected to our beloved instrument.

------------------
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ken Byng on 19 October 2002 at 02:15 AM.]</p></FONT>
compuserve

Post by compuserve »

KEN.A great BIG welcome to the forum and you will find it a great place to get a load of good advice and help from a great bunch of wonderfull people in the steel guitar world.

GOD BLESS JIMMY G
Al Marcus

Post by Al Marcus »

That will be a great day for all steel players, Ken.....al Image
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Good to hear from you Jim. On a serious note, my flight-cased Sho-Bud Pro 111 is a back breaker, so the use of modern technology and materials to reduce the weight is to be applauded. The downside of living in the UK with its import duties and taxes means that to import a Millenium twin 10 would cost the best side of $9000. Now where did I put that winning lottery ticket? Image

------------------
b0b

Post by b0b »

Moved to 'Electronics' section.
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Ken, did you ever think of putting wheels on casters on your equipment? It works real well. I have wheels on my flight case and removabal pin casters on all my amps. There is no way I could transport the equipment without them. I'd rather have heavier equipment with good tone than light weight eguipment without tone.
If someone could produce light weight equipment with good tone like you described I'd be the first in line. <FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Kevin Hatton on 20 October 2002 at 12:28 PM.]</p></FONT>
Ken Byng

Post by Ken Byng »

Kevin - are your flight case wheels permanently attached?
Kevin Hatton

Post by Kevin Hatton »

Yes, I had them built into the flight case here in Buffalo, N.Y. by CDM manufacturing who builds flight cases for many of the road steel players. Totally solves the problem of heavy equipment. Also, I have a separate case for the pedal board and legs of my 72 Sho-Bud. Wheels make everything manageable. Like I say, I could not carry all that heavy equipment without them.