Fender Twin Reverb Tanks

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

Frank Venters

Fender Twin Reverb Tanks

Post by Frank Venters »

I'm looking for information on the size(input and output/Ohms) for the Fender Twin Reverb Tanks. My twin is a 1971 model, with stock 12" Fender Speakers.I haven't taken mine out yet, but I believe it may be 8 ohmns input and about 2250 ohms output.Any ideas out there. One more question..."Can the springs in the reverb tank be adjusted"?
Jay Ganz

Post by Jay Ganz »

Hey Frank,

On most of the standard tanks for Fenders,
I usually read maybe around a few ohms on the input & about 160 ohms on the output. Of course, that's reading resistance with a meter which is not actual impedance.
But it gives a general idea.
You can't adjust the springs, but you can
swap them with another tank if one is a bit
to "boingy"...if ya know what I mean.
They just unhook on either end, although
it's a bit tricky.<font face=loosiescript><FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Jay Ganz on 14 November 2000 at 03:05 PM.]</p></FONT>
Donny Hinson

Post by Donny Hinson »

If you remove your old one, it should have a part number rubberstamped on it. You can then go to the "Accutronics" website, and determine exactly what you have. You might also get an answer on the Fender Discussion Page at... http://www.fenderforum.com/
There's a wealth of good Fender info there!

Maybe one of the "electronically erudite" members here (like Jack Stoner) could tell us how critical those impedances really are. Since "Antique Electronics" has replacements for less than $20, I hardly think it's worth a lot of time and effort to try to repair one.
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 14 November 2000 at 02:45 PM.]</p></FONT>
Jon Light

Post by Jon Light »

Frank--maybe you can find your answer here--
http://www.accutronicsreverb.com/prodspec.htm

Jack Stoner

Post by Jack Stoner »

It's been a while since I worked on a Fender and C.R.S. has set in as far as what the impedence of that tank is. The suggestions to check with accutronics or antique electronics is the best bet.
Michael Brebes

Post by Michael Brebes »

You can also go to [url=http://www.mojotone.com,]www.mojotone.com,[/url] which carries replacement reverb tanks. For Fender amps there are usually 4 reverb tanks available, a short tank with either two or three springs and a long tank (like in the Twin) with either two or three springs. The 3 spring versions should give a bit more complex reverb. The short tank will usually give a little shorter delay and decay times.