Hilton Volume Pedal

Steel guitar amplifiers, effects, etc.

Moderator: Shoshanah Marohn

John McConnell

Hilton Volume Pedal

Post by John McConnell »

Wow. Got my new Hilton volume pedal the other day. It is all true. Great sound. Unbelievable highs. Thanks Keith.

John McConnell , Yuba City CA
Sho-Bud Professional
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Thanks John, I feel honored you are using my pedal.

------------------
Jeff Evans

Post by Jeff Evans »

Fellows:

Is creating more treble the main EQ effect of this pedal?
------------

Jeff
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Jeff, no one would want something that just created more treble. People buy my pedal because it sounds much better to them than what they have been using. I think Florida Forum Member Ken Kostay described it best when he said, "It is like going from a black and white T.V. to a Color T.V.". A lot of the rich sound your pickup can produce is killed off before it ever gets to the amp. Hartley Peavey describes it best when he says, "You can never get back the sound that is lost, it is gone forever." People ,"artificially", create the sound they want with the tone controls on effect units and amps. This is altering the tone artificially. My approach has been to maintain the natural rich sound that a pickup can produce. Jeff ,it is just like eating icecream. Artificial types of icecream does not taste as good as the real thing. Tone produced artificially by knobs on a amp, does not sound
as good as the rich natural tone your pickup can produce. Jeff which would you rather have; Icecream made from real cow's cream, or artificial iced milk substitute made from who knows what?

------------------
<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Keith Hilton on 03 July 2000 at 07:30 PM.]</p></FONT>
Chuck Smith

Post by Chuck Smith »

Hi Jeff,
I have been using my Hilton Pedal for about two months now. I find that it gives you clean, natural tone, and will sustain "all day long". I have used effects in the past and tried different setings on my amp, different amps, different picks, different bars. This foot pedal has helped my playing more that any of the above. The ONLY thing I didn't like about was that Yellow label Keith put on it, so I took it off and just TELL everyone it's a Hilton Image As they say, "Try it, You'll like it"

------------------
Chuck.. ."Every day's a Holiday and every night's a Party";)

Jeff Evans

Post by Jeff Evans »

Thanks...ya'll make it sound compelling. And your analogy is rich, Keith. (Perhaps you should've called it your Blue Bell model.) Image

I just kept reading comments about more treble, more highs. Most of the modern pedal steel tones I hear need more treble about like the Sudanese need more sand.
----------------
Jeff
Keith Hilton

Post by Keith Hilton »

Jeff, if a person wants, I can install a tone control inside the pedal that will make my pedal sound exactly like a old POT pedal. Once you start turning on the adjustment you can hear your highs going "BYE BYE". As you turn the control, your frequency range decreases and the sound becomes smaller and more dull. With this control, you would be "in" control and you could get any sound "you" want. If you like a lot of bass and no highs at all you can get that also.

------------------
Bob Metzger

Post by Bob Metzger »

Gee, That Hilton pedal sounds awful good. I wonder if I could get one with the cow's milk mod?