Tone Poems III ?

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Olli Haavisto

Tone Poems III ?

Post by Olli Haavisto »

Has anyone heard this album featuring Mike Auldridge.Bob Brozman and David Grisman?
Looks like it is a really interesting collection.Acoustic old-time stuff played on over 50 vintage instruments,with information on each one of them.Nationals,Dobros,Weissenborns etc.!!
Hey,just writing this stuff made me sure I definitely want it!

------------------
Olli Haavisto
Polar steeler
Finland

Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Olli...

This is a spectacular recording featuring the trio on _all_ resonator instruments. There are also glorious pictures of each instrument in the _very_ inclusive liner notes/booklet.

Did I say I like this....a lot!! Image

Howard

------------------
Howard Parker
poobah@resoguit.com
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT

Mike D

Post by Mike D »

I'll agree, it is an amazingly well recorded album, and the little picture booklet is great but it's not all resonators. The first few songs are done either all on acoustics (Weissenborns and other guitars set up as Hawaiians) or partially. This gives it a great historical flavor going from pre-reso early Hawaiian tunes right down the line through sorta bluesy stuff and bluegrass etc.

There's even mandolin for those who enjoy it Image
Mikel Nelson

Post by Mikel Nelson »

Very good albumn. And the picture book is great!
Andy Volk

Post by Andy Volk »

I agree with all comments except that I would have loved to hear these players tackle modern material. I think it tends to keep these instruments pigeonholed in the same genres when they're capable of expressing many kinds of music - including tunes with more complex harmony.
Ian McLatchie

Post by Ian McLatchie »

I agree with Andy. It's a very fine album, but a broader, less predictable range of material would make it a better one still.
Definitely worth having in your collection, though - exceptional musicianship, beautifully produced.
Tab Tabscott

Post by Tab Tabscott »

If you like this one, you'll surely enjoy Resophonics Anonymous. It features 9 of the top acoustic slide players in the Pacific Northwest. The material is widely varied, running from Hawaiian, Classical, and even New Age to Bluegrass and C/W...
Check it out at www.oakoustic.com
or on amazon.com.

------------------
Tab Tabscott
Ric Nelson

Post by Ric Nelson »

It is an awesome CD.
A neat concept--play songs from the era of the instrument, on the particular instrument, in the style of the time. It reflects a great deal of work on their part to put this all together.

One of the interesting photos in the booklet that comes with it is of the studio with all of the instruments lined up. The booklet gives you a good grasp on the history of what you are hearing.

Mike never ceases to amaze me with his versatility and flawless playing. He has been consistent in this through the years. He is a great player and I'd like to see him do more session work.

Kinda makes me eat my heart out. Image

<FONT SIZE=1 COLOR="#8e236b"><p align=CENTER>[This message was edited by Ric Nelson on 15 January 2001 at 06:42 AM.]</p></FONT>
Chris Walke

Post by Chris Walke »

I think my favorite is the Martin koa Hawaiian. Beautiful looking guitar, great sound...and a great tune to boot!

A couple months ago I lent the cd to a guy who has just started building resos. He hasn't given it back yet.
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

The Washington Post has a Review of TP III in today's paper at http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A10080-2001Jan17.html

hp

------------------
Howard Parker
poobah@resoguit.com
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT