The Today Show

Musical topics not directly related to steel guitar

Moderators: Dave Mudgett, Janice Brooks

Sam White

The Today Show

Post by Sam White »

I was watching the Today Show and Treish Yearwood was on.I looked and looked and no Steel Guitar.Guest the wife and I won't be buying any of her CDs.No Steel No Buy your CD s.
Sam White
John Ummel

Post by John Ummel »

I'm with you Sam, no Steel, no sale.
Lillie Powles

Post by Lillie Powles »

Sam...no steel, no CD's, no concerts, no posters, no fan club dues, no tee shirts, no television viewing, no buying from her sponsors if i can help it....Lillie Powles

------------------
Sho Bud D10 peavey nashville112

c c johnson

Post by c c johnson »

amem to all. CC
Drew Howard

Post by Drew Howard »

Hey Lillie,

Are you in Big Rapids, MI? I play with some musicians up there that love steel.

cheers,
Drew

------------------
<font size=1>Drew Howard - website - Fessenden D-10 8/8, Fessenden SD-12 5/5 (Ext E9), Magnatone S-8, N400's, BOSS RV-3</font>

Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

It seems to me that you're missing a great deal of fine music if you won't accept anything without a steel guitar on it....

Charles Davidson

Post by Charles Davidson »

Samuel,Thats the biggest gripe I've always had with Willie,I think he is one of the best writers of our times,and no doubt one of the biggest stars. But I never did understand why he never had a full time steel player in the FAMILY BAND.IM aware Jimmy Day played with him some in the early days.But I thing it's strange a native Texan playing his style of music would not have a full time steeler.I'm sure he could afford it.I know a good c6th player would really enhance his sound. Willie what gives?
Jack Therrell

Post by Jack Therrell »

Roger thinks we steel afficiandos are missing a lot of good music because we like so-called country music to have some steel playing. Roger, if i listen to popular music (whatever that is now) I don't expect to hear a steel, but my personal choice of music is country and I do like to hear steel in that. Alabama was an award winning group but I never did care for arrangments. They claimed you could't play in Texas without a fiddle in the band. I would have said you can't have real country without a steel. Yes, I know that is very narrow-minded but for me it is true. Jack
Charles Davidson

Jack Your right it's impossible to have a real country band without a steel,without the steel it's not country,it's that simple, It's not even worth a rebuttel. I'm proud of the fact that one of most succesful bands ever is from my home state,I saw them here playing in our local clubs years ago as a southern rock-country style band called Wild Country,long before they were ALABAMA.I liked what they were doing,but never once considered them country.After thinging about,they were much closer to country, than this crap they call country today.
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Charles. When I read `FAMILY BAND`, I thought you were going to talk about Robert Randolph. SQUMS.
p.s. I've got some salt 'n vinegar for that shoulder based chip.

------------------
One of those steel guitar thingies and an amp.
Charles Davidson

Would prefer Bar-B-Que flavor instead of salt and vinegar,please.
Luke Morell

Post by Luke Morell »

Sam, I'm on your side.
Roger Rettig

Post by Roger Rettig »

Jack,

I consider myself a 'steel afficionado', too - but not to the exclusion of other musical genres. I respectfully suggest that it's detrimental to restrict one's musical diet to one area, and it's fairly obvious that Emmons and Franklin (to name just two) have never done so.

Wouldn't you agree?

RR
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

I'm glad to see the posts here about not supporting an artist that records with Steel, but tours without.

I suggested this a few years ago in this very area, and was dragged over the coals for the suggestion.
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum10/HTML/002508.html

I just reread what I wrote, and still believe every word.
If the promoters learn they will not lose ticket sales by cutting musicians, they will continue to cut, until there is nothing left but a singer and prerecorded tracks.

RR, There is lot of great music that has no Steel. Probably most of it. I enjoy and support a lot of it.

My gripe is when Steel is used as a major part of the recordings, but not used in the live shows.
Charles Davidson

In responce to a previous post concerning Robert Randolph, I have not figured out yet if it was positive or negative,really does not matter.Personally I think he is great.He learned from some of the old great black gospel players that were around long before some of our contemporary players were born.He has accomplished something that no one else has for awhile.By creating a new audience for the steel guitar.Think about it at his shows the steel is up front ,RIGHT IN YOUR FACE!!!!Not hidden in the background. You could not BUY better P.R. for the steel guitar than that.He is exposing the instrument a hell of a lot more than this pop country crap is. Can any one name one act today that has a steel guitar front center stage,and is the MAIN attraction????? No you can't!
Archie Nicol

Post by Archie Nicol »

Yes, Joey. Don Williams early 70s stuff. Great steel by Lloyd and then he tours as a three piece band.

------------------
One of those steel guitar thingies and an amp.
Joey Ace

Post by Joey Ace »

Good point Arch! You can "Say It Again" !

It's ironic that you should mention Lloyd's work with DW.
There's a lot of inovative Dobro there too, also by Lloyd.

I've been doing a lot more dobro lately, and just last week asked Lloyd about his aproach to it. He mentioned creating what he called the "Don Williams Style".

In honor of this coincedence, I'm postining this MP3 of the outro to "Say It Again". Both Steel and Dobro in the mix.
http://joeyace.com/audio/sayit.mp3
Charlie McDonald

Post by Charlie McDonald »

Well, everybody gets a good raking now and then.... I didn't think it was too bad, but that previous thread was sure a spirited discussion.

I'm not a huge country fan, so I don't miss what I don't hear, as I enjoy steel most as a solo instrument. But I love AKUS, like anything with a fretless guitar, and think the Dobro can add just as much.

Enjoyed the playing, Joey; good to hear it on the open forum, for those of us who don't look for it elsewhere. 'Some people' would even berate you for not hearing it posted more here. Can you imagine?
Charles Davidson

You are right Archie,I played in a band in the 70's that opened several shows for Don Williams,never once saw him use a steel.I'm sure he could have afforded it'at that time he was selling millions of records worldwide.
Butch Foster

Post by Butch Foster »

Charles, Joey, Archie, I get taken in by the Don Williams in the time frame you are mentioning. I really like the great PSG & resophonic work Lloyd did on his first recordings and when he was booked about 100 miles from our rural area I was excited about going. Of course, I knew Lloyd would't be touring, but I thought an experienced PSG artist or an up and coming young artist would be doing Lloyd's licks and maybe some of their own- Well, when the set began and there was not a PSG in sight, I was ready for a refund!
Charles Davidson

Butch I dont how much you remember about Don's shows,but to me they were the most laid back,boring,shows touring at the time.Of course he was very suscessful,and had millions of fans that loved what he was doing,Just to mellow for me.The hilite of his show was when he would feature Danny Flowers[writer of Tulsa time].After thinking about it ,he was light years ahead of the crap that's out there today.
Charles Curtis

Post by Charles Curtis »

My wife and I went to a concert once and about 20 minutes before the show was going to start I didn't see the psg on stage. I went to the stage entrance security and asked to see the psg musician (I had only met him once before). They were kind enought to get him to come out and he told me that he was just fixing to take it to the stage. I told him that I was getting ready to leave if he hadn't been on the tour. Great guy! One of the best!
Barry Blackwood

Post by Barry Blackwood »

Amen, Joey. Retcop, let's try to get Willie to ****can his solos, the hell with sharing them ....
David Mason

Post by David Mason »

If more steel players would record Beethoven and Tchaikovsky & raga Bageshree, Kirvani etc. I could agree with this a whole lot more. Funny thing - that's not too likely to happen, if all they listen to is other steel guitarists.