dobro question

Lap steels, resonators, multi-neck consoles and acoustic steel guitars

Moderator: Brad Bechtel

Jeff Schaffer

dobro question

Post by Jeff Schaffer »

Hi, I'm pretty new to dobro and have a question maybe you could help me with. I have a Regal squareneck (not sure which model; it has a black spider). The open strings sound pretty good and the positions towards the nut end sound OK but when you get around the middle of the neck the tone becomes kind of dull and thunky; it seems like it ought to be a bit brighter and crisper. Is this normal; is it a function of a not so great instrument; or is there some kind of fix I could try. Along this line, what is the hole for in the center of the metal plate covering the bridge area. It looks like some kind of access hole for a wrench. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks very much.
Howard Parker

Post by Howard Parker »

Jeff..

This is fairly typical of the factory Regals that I have played. If you prefer a different sound I'd check out a few things.

1. Change those strings. I know. It sounds obvious. Phosphor bronze or bright bronze strings will help.

2. Change the setup. The Regal is a bargain, but, much can be changed with a professional setup. Usually this would include a recommendation to change the nut, saddle and spider to something used in "professional" quality axes.

There are do-it-yourself kits available from Paul Beard at Resophonic Outfitters (and others) or you can have a luthier (Beard, Scheerhorn, Wooten and others) do it for you.

The hole in the coverplate gives you access to adjust the tension between the spider and resonator. It should be adjusted to just "barely" feel resistance.

Hope this helps.

hp

------------------
Howard Parker
poobah@resoguit.com
www.resoguit.com
ListOwner RESOGUIT

Ted Smith
Location: Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"

Post by Ted Smith »

Howard is steering you right there Jeff, the only thing I would add is that Paul Beard has a good "do it yourself" set up video that will make it easy to understand so don't be afraid to give it a try. The better sounding the guitar the more you'll want to work it into your music.